Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

70's Music Thread

metaldams · 133 · 38096

Offline metaldams

The 60's thread worked out well (and of course we can still post there), so let's start a 70's thread.  This decade's a bit more controversial, and I'd be interested to see how people handle punk and disco, but tons of great music came from the 70's.

Well, my name is METALdams, so I'm going to open with a Black Sabbath track.  It's "The Writ" off the SABOTAGE album (1975).  A lot of us feel the hits aren't always the best tracks,  and here's my proof that Sabbath did more than "Paranoid."  This one's a masterpiece, with some of Geezer Butler's best lyrics and wah bass, a great build up, and a real cool mellow bridge part (I believe there's a harpsichord), and one of Ozzy's best vocal performances.  Check it out.

[youtube=425,350]XezK7Pi7fvw[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

I like the solo Ozzy stuff better. The only black sabbath i like was Iron Man.
----------------------------------------------------

Man, I love this song. Such beautiful lyrics.

[youtube=425,350]qGfVOdTiUEc[/youtube]

These are almost as good.

[youtube=425,350]kqXek853SDE[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]-Q1kB0R4Ijs[/youtube]

Offline falsealarms

Peter Frampton, Baby I Love Your Way, 1975

[youtube=425,350]m0nc-hh9viQ[/youtube]

Janis Joplin, Me and Bobby McGee, 1971

[youtube=425,350]WXV_QjenbDw[/youtube]

The Delfonics, Didn't I Blow Your Mind, 1970

[youtube=425,350]BvsVVexIYtY[/youtube]

David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust, 1972

[youtube=425,350]XXq5VvYAI1Q[/youtube]

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Can't have a 70's thread without The Bertha Butt Boogie ...

[youtube=425,350]Ki8u8G2WZbI?fs=1&hl=en_US[/youtube]

I'll include the entire (not just part 1) song which has an empty lyrics segment for the budding karaoke singer way back in the 70's.

[attachment deleted by admin]
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Dog Hambone

Okay, you asked for it. One of my favorites from the 1970s was the Sex Pistols. Featuring 2 of my all-time favorite rockers' names, too - Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious.   [band]

[youtube=425,350]JQkActP-isE[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

Okay, you asked for it. One of my favorites from the 1970s was the Sex Pistols. Featuring 2 of my all-time favorite rockers' names, too - Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious.   [band]

[youtube=425,350]JQkActP-isE[/youtube]

I'll post links later, but I've never been the biggest Sex Pistols fan.  To give credit where credit is due, Steve Jones has a great guitar tone, but I'm not always in the mood for Johnny Rotten's vocals, shall we say.

I'm not the world's biggest punk fan, but there are a couple of bands from the scene I like.  I'll post vids for them later.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust, 1972

[youtube=425,350]XXq5VvYAI1Q[/youtube]

I do like Bowie.  He has a pretty diverse and long career, so there's still a lot of his stuff I've yet to explore.  I'll post my favorite Bowie song later, and yeah, it's one of his hits.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I like the solo Ozzy stuff better. The only black sabbath i like was Iron Man.
----------------------------------------------------

How much Sabbath have you heard, and what do you think of the song I posted?

I think the two Randy Rhoads albums are great and Ozzy did some good songs after that, but for overall consistency, I think the 8 albums Ozzy made with Sabbath are amongst the great runs in all of rock music, period.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

How much Sabbath have you heard, and what do you think of the song I posted?

I think the two Randy Rhoads albums are great and Ozzy did some good songs after that, but for overall consistency, I think the 8 albums Ozzy made with Sabbath are amongst the great runs in all of rock music, period.

Dont get me wrong Black Sabbath had some great songs. I love War pigs, Paranoid, Ironman, and that song you posted. Ozzy by himself just had more song that i liked.

Dog Hambone

I'll post links later, but I've never been the biggest Sex Pistols fan.  To give credit where credit is due, Steve Jones has a great guitar tone, but I'm not always in the mood for Johnny Rotten's vocals, shall we say.

I understand & I know I'm not in the majority. The Pistols weren't so much about musicianship as they were about youthful energy & rebellion. (Actually, they were pretty terrible musicians!)   

Offline metaldams

[youtube=425,350]N1oLQ55IfPA[/youtube]

OK here's my favorite punk bands, not there are too many.  I've started appreciating The Ramones a lot more recently.  The basically write catchy pop songs to a punk beat, so I can dig these guys.  Plus their lyrics are a bit eccentric, always a plus.  5 songs, 10 minutes = punk.

[youtube=425,350]i8crzhRWEiA[/youtube]

My other favorite punk band, The Misfits.  "London Dungeon" and also this is Glenn Danzig's first band.

[youtube=425,350]v--IqqusnNQ[/youtube]

My favorite Bowie song, "Life on Mars"

I'm done posting in 2010, you guys have a Happy New Year.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Pink Floyd owned the 70s.

[youtube=425,350]vyqgjCKm9nQ[/youtube]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Curly4444

Man, I almost forgot about this one:

[youtube=425,350]UUuG1Ge8MTU[/youtube]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

It's time to get the Led out...

[youtube=425,350]65Ebs8K9TjI[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]rb6pJlrS9DA[/youtube]

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

[youtube=425,350]EXTFwfGE0Ak[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]flcF4vNa61U[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]S-jneRIhhzM[/youtube]

And because I love the In Through the Out Door album
[youtube=425,350]s1mOcNj8otI[/youtube]
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

A little 70s Rush...

[youtube=425,350]VbSWzK4nKQA[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

Happy New Year, guys.  Shemp_Diesel, are you into Led Zeppelin?   ;D  I have the DVD set that has about 5 hours of footage or so, so I have plenty of Zep footage.

The New Year's has started off great, as my brother just referred to the Jonas Brothers as "the pussification of America."  But this is a 70's thread, so enough of my brother's philosophy.

Let's start the new year with some Thin Lizzy, one of my all-time favorite bands, and the greatest Irish band ever.  Screw U2.

[youtube=425,350]XsIubn5Pp6s[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]TjjpBb9q1PA[/youtube]

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Happy New Year, guys.  Shemp_Diesel, are you into Led Zeppelin?   ;D  I have the DVD set that has about 5 hours of footage or so, so I have plenty of Zep footage.

Happy new year to you Dams. Yeah, I'm a big Zeppelin nut, I love all of their studio albums (I even like Coda), got the Zep DVD's & even own a few bootleg concerts. Zep and Rush are my one-two rock and roll punch.

;D

Offline Shemp_Diesel

A little more Floyd for this thread. A bass lover's dream.

[youtube=425,350]IBRYgsEggLE[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]lW1-wKjLlx0[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

Happy new year to you Dams. Yeah, I'm a big Zeppelin nut, I love all of their studio albums (I even like Coda), got the Zep DVD's & even own a few bootleg concerts. Zep and Rush are my one-two rock and roll punch.

;D

I was just trying "YYZ" on bass a few hours ago.  Talk about an exercise in frustration.  Oh, I can play it alright, but at about 75% the tempo.  Geddy Lee's the man.

I have all the Zep studio albums too and HOW THE WEST WAS WON as well.  No bootlegs, though.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

PS:  I love the IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR album too.  "Carouselambra" is a cool song.  It took me years to get used to those synths, but now I love it.  I like PRESENCE a lot too, those last two Zep albums are underrated.

But man, after posting that Lizzy stuff, I think BLACK ROSE might be the first album I listen to in 2011.  Check out that guitar work in the clip I posted, it sickens me how underrated Thin Lizzy are in the U.S.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Rich Finegan

As usual with me, my favorite may not be everyone else's. But here's one of my top favorite David Bowie songs:
"Sound and Vision" (1977):

Offline metaldams

As usual with me, my favorite may not be everyone else's. But here's one of my top favorite David Bowie songs:
"Sound and Vision" (1977):

Yeah, that was from his Berlin phase.  Do you know pitchfork media recently did a 100 best albums of the 70's and rated LOW number one?  I don't really agree with the list or pitchfork (way too punk and alternative for me), but I thought I'd throw that out there.  Anyway, I like "Sound and Vision."

Here's a beautiful instrumental from the same album I love, "Warszawa."  If this doesn't inspire you to visit Germany and snort massive lines of coke with Iggy Pop, I don't know what will.  All kidding aside, this truly is a beautiful, atmospheric piece.

[youtube=425,350]9Gy94N_mcWs[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Seamus

Good stuff, guys.  Rock music really seemed to take flight in the '70s.  I was too young to be aware of it at the time, but I get a sense that both the musicians and the audience were at their most adventurous during that period.  Musicians felt free to experiment and the audience were happy to let them do it.

Here's a few heavy live tracks from the '73-'74 lineup of King Crimson, an all-time favorite.  I always thought it was pretty bad-ass of Bill Bruford to leave Yes just as they were on the cusp of super-stardom so that he could make this kind of music with KC.

21st Century Schizoid Man (the passage that begins around 4:30 when the band starts to gradually ramp up to a chaotic crescendo always blows my brain out the back of my head):
[youtube=425,350]KFsKV6VSLNI[/youtube]

Easy Money:
[youtube=425,350]0zn7NmvteM0[/youtube]

Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two:
[youtube=425,350]61QhoNayDs8[/youtube]