The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stooge Toast

dwacon · 5 · 2824

Offline dwacon

• Porcupine
  • This house has sure gone crazy...
    • Dwacon Entertainment
 ???

While watching the New Years Eve shorts there was a scene where the Stooges were having a drink and said a brief toast.  Larry said something funny but laughing so hard I couldn't catch or remember exactly what it was.

Sounded like "Hock your haggis" I think -- not really sure.

This is bugging me.  Would appreciate if anyone could answer this question and explain exactly what Larry was saying... izzit a real toast or was he making a play on words.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Waldo Twitchell

The scene was from 'Pardon My Scotch' and Larry says, "Vear Gehaget!" which is Yiddish for "Drop Dead!"

I know nothing about Yiddish, but I recalled seeing this explanation for what Larry said in an old issue of the Three Stooges journal.

Hope this helps.

Pilsner Panther

The scene was from 'Pardon My Scotch' and Larry says, "Vear Gehaget!" which is Yiddish for "Drop Dead!"

I know nothing about Yiddish, but I recalled seeing this explanation for what Larry said in an old issue of the Three Stooges journal.

Hope this helps.

Also possibly spelled "Fer'garhget," (?) and I think that it also means "lost" or "confused." I looked in a couple of Yiddish dictionaries, and
I couldn't find the word. Anyone have a definitive answer?

???

Offline garystooge

Also possibly spelled "Fer'garhget," (?) and I think that it also means "lost" or "confused." I looked in a couple of Yiddish dictionaries, and
I couldn't find the word. Anyone have a definitive answer?

Pils-
My Yiddish/English dictionary lists it as "Ver derharget" or "Ver geharget" and gives the translation as "Get Killed" or "Drop Dead"