Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Anita Garvin and the Stooges

Guest · 6 · 2456

Pilsner Panther

That cast list sure comes in handy... when I saw that it was Anita Garvin's birthday, I was scratching my head trying to figure out what film she'd appeared in with the Stooges.

Turns out that it was only one, with Shemp. For those not in the know, Anita was the sexy babe who often played the foil to Laurel & Hardy.

[thumbsup]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline metaldams

I'm a big Anita Garvin fan, and for Hal Roach ladies, my heart is torn between Anita and Thelma Todd.  Add Christine McIntyre to the mix, and ol' metal is drunk on new wine.  She was a beautiful woman and a GREAT comic actress as well, more so in her facial expressions.  My favorite performances of hers are in Laurel and Hardy's "Blotto" and "From Soup To Nuts."  Also check her out in Charley Chase's "Whispering Whoopee."  Along with Thelma Todd and some other hottie I'm not all too familiar with, Ms. Garvin was playing somebody associated with the world's oldest profession.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I was scratching my head trying to figure out what film she'd appeared in with the Stooges.  Turns out that it was only one, with Shemp.

Anita played Shemp's wife in WHILE THE CAT'S AWAY (1936), one of Shemp's Vitaphone shorts.  Ironic that Anita is best known for her Laurel & Hardy appearances... WHILE THE CAT'S AWAY is a remake/adaptation of two L&H classics: UNACCUSTOMED AS WE ARE (1929) and HELPMATES (1932).

Pilsner Panther

"Oh, Baldy, you're such a dear!"

—Anita to Jimmy Finlayson in "A Chump At Oxford"

She delivers the line with a perfectly straight face, too!

[pound]

Offline wallawalla

• Grapehead
  • I think the goat walked right through it, I'm sure
Interesting - I didn't recognize her name or photo. She's pretty, but she's no Christine McIntyre. Woo woo woo!

I'm a bit confused - did she appear in a Stooge short? Or was it just the Shemp Vitaphone?

Offline metaldams

Interesting - I didn't recognize her name or photo. She's pretty, but she's no Christine McIntyre. Woo woo woo!

I'm a bit confused - did she appear in a Stooge short? Or was it just the Shemp Vitaphone?

Just the Shemp Vitaphone.  On this site, if you appeared for 5 seconds with Ted Healy in some run of the mill MGM feature (or even a good one), you get mentioned.  Check out the site's filmography, it's pretty extensive.

As for Anita Vs. Christine....can't choose.  Two very beautiful ladies with two completely different looks.  As comic actresses, they're both highly underrated.
- Doug Sarnecky