The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2010 NFL Football

shemps#1 · 74 · 13907

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I figured since we have a baseball thread we should have a NFL thread as well. I watched the Saints/Vikings earlier which was good but weird due to the low scoring output. I know a great deal of experts want to crown Green Bay the heir apparents to the Lombardi Trophy (or at least the Halas) but if the Saints keep up with defense like that AND put on the usual offensive displays they will be hard to overthrow.

I am glad football is back in season.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
A few friends and I gathered in the TV lounge in the lobby of the residence hall to watch the game.  Wasn't too exciting for a season opener, but though I'm a Patriots fan, I'm glad the Saints won.  Lots of dropped passes and careless mistakes by the receivers, though.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline FineBari3

I live in Western PA, where football is born in our blood.  What little girl from Pittsburgh doesn't dream about playing linebacker for the Steelers? 

After another losing season for the Pirates (a record 18 years and counting), the pre-season hype started early, especially with the Roethlisberger thing. His exploits this off-season had every Steelers fan hating him. Little boys and girls in elementary school wore his jersey, and what were their mothers to tell them when they wouldn't allow them to wear their #7 jersey anymore?

I won't participate in the discussion much, but I do love football.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Curly4444

I'm just hoping the stupid rams can win more than 5 games. Last year we had only 2 or 3.  >:(

Offline stooge1029

Let me just say Im from upstate NY, and its definitly looking like Buffalo this year!!! Go Bills!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It will be interesting to see if the Steelers can rebound from Ben Roethlisberger's four game suspension. They have three games that, on paper, they should lose without Big Ben at the helm, but luckily they will have home field advantage for two of those games. If they can manage to go 2-2 in the first four games I can see them winning what I think is a AFC North with a bunch of potential .500 teams.

I can potentially see the Rams going 6-10 or perhaps better. They are in a weak division and their AFC games are against the West, which is the weakest division in that conference. In fact, as I look at the Rams schedule I only see four games that they should definitely lose (two against Arizona, one each against the Saints and Chargers). I wouldn't be looking for a playoff spot but I think they are an "up-and-comer".

As for the Bills, if they finished anywhere but last I will be surprised. I'm not completely sold on the Dolphins and Jets as teams that are ready to continue off where they finished last year but they should still be better than the Bills. Let's not forget the Patriots, who I don't think are ready to be dethroned as kings of the AFC East as some experts have predicted. You never know, perhaps the Bills can surprise the world.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Damn, we're 1/4 of the way through the season so far already! I think the Pats will be fine without Randy Moss (he didn't have a catch against Miami in the big win) but I wish we had a little more (at least a 2nd round pick). The Steelers did a fantastic job without their stud QB (only losing a close one to a tough Ravens team) and will only be better with Big Ben back. I love the Rams rookie QB, Sam Bradford. They are going to go nowhere but up (as long as they build around him) and have a good chance to win a weak division this year.

Speaking of QB's, what a mess in Philly. They go with Kolb and he gets injured so Vick comes in. Vick does great, really the best he has ever looked (damn it, he is such a dick) then HE gets injured in McNabb's return to Philly game and Kolb comes back in. I would expect Vick to be back in a couple of weeks unless Kolb impresses big time.

How about the KC Chiefs? They are young and exciting and former Pats backup QB Matt Cassel is getting a chance to shine. I hope to get the Colts/Chiefs game this week.

Offline Curly4444

I love the Rams rookie QB, Sam Bradford. They are going to go nowhere but up (as long as they build around him) and have a good chance to win a weak division this year.

He is a great injection of talent our team desperately needed. He's givin us two wins already and the season is only 1/4 over.

Offline stooge1029

I just wanna say I knew Buffalo was going to be one of the worst teams... I ALWAYS say its looking like Buffalo this year. I just hope we avoid 0-16 this year, Ive been having nightmares lately about that lately.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
How about them Patriots, huh?  A field goal, an interception, and a kick return for a touchdown all in one game!  Wow!  Go Pats!
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline Curly4444

The old rams are back whoo hoo!! >:( Can you say annihilation.  [banghead]

Dog Hambone

I'm just hoping the stupid rams can win more than 5 games. Last year we had only 2 or 3.  >:(

[bash]

Ouch! A 44 to 6 loss to the (formerly) hapless Detroit Lions?!?

And Stooge1029, sorry about your winless Bills losing to the Jag"wires" (as the announcers are always calling them). I feel your pain. They beat my hometown Denver Donkeys in the season opener. 

Offline Lefty

And in other football news, the Eagles won against the 49ers, not that it's anything to brag about.  Only 6 people in the Philadelphia area watched that game without viewing any of the Phillies' playoff game -- Jeffrey Lurie and his wife, alleged sportscasters but actual Eagle sycophants Vai Sikahema and John Clark of Channel 10, the tasered kid from May, and the "Red Man" from last month, the latter 2 who ran onto the CPB field during games.

Offline metaldams

And in other football news, the Eagles won against the 49ers, not that it's anything to brag about.  Only 6 people in the Philadelphia area watched that game without viewing any of the Phillies' playoff game -- Jeffrey Lurie and his wife, alleged sportscasters but actual Eagle sycophants Vai Sikahema and John Clark of Channel 10, the tasered kid from May, and the "Red Man" from last month, the latter 2 who ran onto the CPB field during games.

I live in Northern Delaware, so I can tell you until a few years ago, nobody cared about The Phillies and everything in the area was all about The Eagles.  Funny how things have changed.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Winning will do that most places. Boston was a notable exception: the Red Sox were still #1 in Beantown even though the Patriots had started to win Super Bowls in 2002 and the first Red Sox WS win was 2004. Speaking of which: Doug did you get to catch that recent ESPN special about the 04 ALCS? I missed all but the last 30 seconds of it, sadly.

Offline metaldams

Winning will do that most places. Boston was a notable exception: the Red Sox were still #1 in Beantown even though the Patriots had started to win Super Bowls in 2002 and the first Red Sox WS win was 2004. Speaking of which: Doug did you get to catch that recent ESPN special about the 04 ALCS? I missed all but the last 30 seconds of it, sadly.

You know the way we have "pink hat" fans in Boston and they all love Ellsbury?  It's the same in Philly, except it's Chase Utley, with Werth and Victorino having somewhat similar followings.  Of course, there are several true fans as well, but like I said, I used to live in a total Eagles area......no longer.

Yes, I did catch the ESPN 2004 special.  As somebody who knows every play in that series like the back of his hand, I learned nothing new, but it's still always nice to relive.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I saw some great football games today. First the Patriots beating the Ravens in OT (with 2 mins left no less) then the Jets unfortunately edging out Denver. Although I didn't get the result that I wanted it was still a great game. While I was watching that one on my laptop I also saw the great Minnesota/Dallas game (ha! Cowboys are 1-4  :P), and to top it all of while I watching the NLCS on my TV I watched the great Colts/Redskins game on my laptop. Awesome week of football.

Offline FineBari3

I saw some great football games today. First the Patriots beating the Ravens in OT (with 2 mins left no less) then the Jets unfortunately edging out Denver. Although I didn't get the result that I wanted it was still a great game. While I was watching that one on my laptop I also saw the great Minnesota/Dallas game (ha! Cowboys are 1-4  :P), and to top it all of while I watching the NLCS on my TV I watched the great Colts/Redskins game on my laptop. Awesome week of football.

I have the NFL Red Zone, and it is awesome! I got to see all of the OT games. A great Sunday....
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Dog Hambone

I have the NFL Red Zone, and it is awesome! I got to see all of the OT games. A great Sunday....

Hey, FineBari3, I have a question about Red Zone. I get the station, but there is just a list of current scores, quarter by quarter, with voice over by radio announcers. Does your Red Zone show teevee or video of the game? I thought Red Zone was supposed to do that, but it may be something that I have to buy a sports package to get (i.e., give even more of my hard earned money to the cable teevee company).   

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Red Zone shows only the scoring chances of games and I guess the overtimes.

Offline FineBari3

Hey, FineBari3, I have a question about Red Zone. I get the station, but there is just a list of current scores, quarter by quarter, with voice over by radio announcers. Does your Red Zone show teevee or video of the game? I thought Red Zone was supposed to do that, but it may be something that I have to buy a sports package to get (i.e., give even more of my hard earned money to the cable teevee company).   

That is what the NFL Network shows when all of the games are on. Red Zone shows the 'red zone' of any of the games currently being played, and is a pay service (pretty much). My Mom has Fios, and she would have to pay for it, but I have a little podunk cable company called Armstrong. I actually can't believe that we aren't being charged for it. This is a cable company that refused to carry NFL Network games because they were charging more to carry the network and the games. So, shhhhhh.....

It's pretty smart of the NFL to do this, because it almost costs them nothing, as they already own the rights to the games.
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It's not looking good for your Steelers Mar-Jean, and I have (very little) money on them covering the spread. It's gonna be a big one Sunday Night with the Steelers and Patriots. I'm excited for that one.

UPDATE: Whew! That was close! The last thing I wanted for the Pats was to play the Steelers in Pittsburgh after two straight losses (not to mention the Pats getting smashed by the Browns last week).

Dog Hambone

Maybe it belongs under Bad Joke of the Day, but since it's about football in 2010, I posted it here.

Here's an email about the Denver Donkeys that is circulating around town. Feel free to substitute your own team name, if appropriate.

[pie]

The Colorado State Patrol are cracking down on speeders heading into Denver. For the first offense, they give you 2 Denver Bronco tickets. If you get stopped a second time, they make you use them.

Q.What do you call 47 millionaires around a TV watching the Super Bowl?
A.The Denver Broncos

Q.What do the Denver Broncos and Billy Graham have in common?
A.They both can make 70,000 people stand up and yell "Jesus Christ".

Q.How do you keep a Denver Bronco out of your yard?
A.Put up a goal post.

Q.What do you call a Denver Bronco with a Super Bowl ring?
A.Old

Q.What's the difference between the Denver Bronco and a dollar bill?
A.You can still get four quarters out of a dollar bill.

Q.How many Denver Broncos does it take to win a Super Bowl?
A.Nobody remembers. 

Q.What do the Broncos and a possum have in common?
A.Both play dead at home and get killed on the road!

[3stooges] 

Offline FineBari3

It's not looking good for your Steelers Mar-Jean, and I have (very little) money on them covering the spread. It's gonna be a big one Sunday Night with the Steelers and Patriots. I'm excited for that one.

UPDATE: Whew! That was close! The last thing I wanted for the Pats was to play the Steelers in Pittsburgh after two straight losses (not to mention the Pats getting smashed by the Browns last week).

That sure was an exciting game, and considering the 6 or more injuries to the Steelers, we are damn lucky to have pulled it off. Our offensive line has lost another for the season (Matt Starks).

It's going to be a big one!
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm quite surprised how that one turned out, not that the Patriots won because I think they can beat anybody (as can the Steelers, which is why together they account for 5 of the last 9 Super Bowl wins) but the way they dominated the Steelers before that wild 4th quarter. The Pats are picking up big road wins this year, which is something they couldn't do last year.

It's weird how no one team is rising above the pack this year. Last year you had the Colts and Saints undefeated by this point in the season: this year 3 teams are tied with the best record, and they have 2 losses each. I honestly have no clue who will go to Dallas for the Super Bowl this year, except it won't be the Cowboys lol.