Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Look at what they are doing to old Disney cartoons...remind you something?

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
[youtube=425,350]Qd1ipEmyFjg[/youtube]

BLAM!

There are a ton of these clips on YouTube, but I have to wonder why they still do shit like this. It never works: Spike TV's treatment of the Three Stooges is evident of this. These cartoons have survived this long for a reason; they are great/good on their own merits and do not need some annoying douche nozzle shouting "BLAM!" and giving a play-by-play as if the viewers are completely blind or sub-retarded. If today's children can't appreciate the old Disney/Looney Tunes etc. then fuck 'em.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

Yeah, i don't get why they don't just show the whole short without all that gay balm crap. I guess today's kids brains have been stupefied by all these new retarded cartoons and PC crap?  If the kids of today cant enjoy looney tunes and Disney stuff without that crap, then "Huston we have a problem".

ThumpTheShoes

Actually, I couldn't watch the clip because Whoopie Goldberg didn't give me permission.

...jejejeje!!
 [pie]

Offline Curly4444

Actually, I couldn't watch the clip because Whoopie Goldberg didn't give me permission.

...jejejeje!!
 [pie]
Hahahahahah, good one!!! [sign10]

Offline Blystone

There's nothing about this foolishness that's the children's fault. Rather, it's the fault of some pea-brained adults making assumptions about what small children can understand. What's ironic here is that Walt Disney's cartoons are among the most carefully and meticulously produced of them all. Nothing from the Disney studio ever made it to the screen without being personally approved by him, and if a scene didn't "read" well in the storyboard stage, he'd fix it before any animation was done. Besides making them funny, one of Walt's main concerns was seeing to it that anyone who watched one of his cartoons could understand it, even if they were little kids or couldn't speak a word of English. So the idea of having a narrator "explain" them is beyond stupid.

[smack]

Offline metaldams

Simply a product of our senses being bombarded beyond recognition.  We now need Goofy getting hit on the head with an icicle explained by some wise-ass.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline fearlessfrizzletop

I hate this but, arguably, it's no different from Fractured Flickers, The Funny Manns, and even some of the Robert Youngson stuff from the 1960s in terms of using "funny" narration to update old material for "modern" sensibilities. It's just way more grindingly annoying.

I have a DVD of an early 1950s film called "The Slappiest Years of our Lives" that has Peter Sellers doing funny voices over old Stan Laurel, Sennett and Keaton footage. It's a total bastardization of the footage, of course, but proof that this is nothing new. Pete Smith was doing this kind of thing to old silent comedies -- and dramas! -- as early as the 1930s.

Just sayin'...
Chris

Offline metaldams

I hate this but, arguably, it's no different from Fractured Flickers, The Funny Manns, and even some of the Robert Youngson stuff from the 1960s in terms of using "funny" narration to update old material for "modern" sensibilities. It's just way more grindingly annoying.

I have a DVD of an early 1950s film called "The Slappiest Years of our Lives" that has Peter Sellers doing funny voices over old Stan Laurel, Sennett and Keaton footage. It's a total bastardization of the footage, of course, but proof that this is nothing new. Pete Smith was doing this kind of thing to old silent comedies -- and dramas! -- as early as the 1930s.

Just sayin'...
Chris

Hmmm, hate to say it, but you do have a point.  I've occasionally seen stuff like you mention as filler on TCM between films where they add "funny" stuff to silent comedies and I even have versions of Harry Langdon shorts as bonus features on DVD's that do the same.

I don't really watch the Disney channel anymore.  All I know is these days they show they Miley Cirus type stuff.  Do they still show the old short cartoons unedited?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
I don't really watch the Disney channel anymore.  All I know is these days they show they Miley Cirus type stuff.  Do they still show the old short cartoons unedited?
You could try Disney XD, but most of the old cartoons (Wacky Races, etc.) now are playing on Cartoon Network's sister channel, Boomerang.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well upon further research they do not seem to show the old short cartoons unedited. "BLAM!" is a part of a thing called "Have a Laugh!" where the show abridged classic cartoons. Some are clips redubbed with the new voice actors; then there is "BLAM!" and "Re-Micks" which features clips of old Disney cartoons turned into music videos such this one where clips from "Quarterback Mickey" are used for a music video for "Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen.
[youtube=425,350]Nppda6EYV_8[/youtube]

From what I can gather "Have a Laugh!" runs during some commercial breaks.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Hammond Eggar

Goofy is my absolute favorite Disney character, and one of my overall favorites, as well.  Yet, somehow they managed to make him painfully unfunny.  BLAM!?!  More like DAMN!?! >:(
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)