Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Would Anybody Be Interested In Investing In A Three Stooges DVD Compilation

Offline afcomser

I was Wondering If anybody would like to help me invest in Making a DVD Boxed Set of All The Out of Print Movies the Three Stooges Did.

This will be only the Public Domain Stuff, So C3 don't get your Hackles Raised.

Granted they Will Be on DVD-R's but they will be in a set available to all the Stooge Fans Here.

I won't do the 190 Columbia Shorts. Because you can buy them from Sony Entertainment. Or The Derita Movies, However I may consider Putting Have Rocket Will Travel on DVD

Put the 3 Stooges Music on MP3 disk

I hope to Sell It for Less than a Hundred Dollars, that may be a High estimate but I don't know all the costs Yet.

I need about $450 to get the equipment I need. And If any of you would like to Help add to the collection I already Have
Like did anybody record The Captain Hates The Sea on TCM last week, we all need a better copy of that movie.
Maybe the Cartoons, I don't know if they have passed into public domain or not. I could use the help in determining that as well
Just A Thought
Well Open The Door Squirrel Bait!!

Offline falsealarms

The Captain Hates The Sea is certainly not public domain nor is Have Rocket Will Travel.

Offline Curly4444

I was Wondering If anybody would like to help me invest in Making a DVD Boxed Set of All The Out of Print Movies the Three Stooges Did.

This will be only the Public Domain Stuff, So C3 don't get your Hackles Raised.

Granted they Will Be on DVD-R's but they will be in a set available to all the Stooge Fans Here.

I won't do the 190 Columbia Shorts. Because you can buy them from Sony Entertainment. Or The Derita Movies, However I may consider Putting Have Rocket Will Travel on DVD

Put the 3 Stooges Music on MP3 disk

I hope to Sell It for Less than a Hundred Dollars, that may be a High estimate but I don't know all the costs Yet.

I need about $450 to get the equipment I need. And If any of you would like to Help add to the collection I already Have
Like did anybody record The Captain Hates The Sea on TCM last week, we all need a better copy of that movie.
Maybe the Cartoons, I don't know if they have passed into public domain or not. I could use the help in determining that as well
Just A Thought

If your going to do it, don't use DVD-R's. They're less compatible with alot of DVD stand alone players. Use DVD+R's.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Although I appreciate your sincerity, we're pretty close knit here and have members that will either trade or make copies of hard to find stuff for people. I don't know where you get a quote like $450 for equipment but you certainly wouldn't need that. And the stuff you're talking about isn't Public Domain.

All of the Stooges PD stuff is already out there in one way shape or form. Films like Myrt & Marge are still under copyright by Universal, so no dice.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

xraffle

If your going to do it, don't use DVD-R's. They're less compatible with alot of DVD stand alone players. Use DVD+R's.

It's actually the other way around.

Offline Curly4444

It's actually the other way around.
Not what i read(they supposedly burn crappier). I've tried the DVD -r's, and my one burner wouldn't even burn them. And the one that did wouldn't play on my dvd players. With DVD +r's every burner burns them and they all play on my dvd players.  I did hear that if you set the book type to DVD-Rom, dvd -r's will work better.  Hell i dont know, ive just always had good luck with DVD +r's.

Offline afcomser

Actually Captain Hates The Sea Is, That one I was able to find out. In fact Columbia didn't even bat an eye when that one came up. So Is Start Cheering, Rockin thru the Rockies, Time Out for Rythem, Fugitive Lovers, Swing Parade of 1946, and Turn Back the Clock. I'm Pretty sure that The MGM shorts are public domain as well, because all the Follies stuff went public domain as well.

Offline afcomser

It was just a thought, so It would be easy to compile things together from all of us, so it would be easy for someone to find what they are looking for thats all. I wasn't going to do it for a profit, just so I could provide good quality copies available to all. Or Mabe we could have a posting of everybody who has certain movies/shows etc. that are willing to trade or provide. So One doesn't have to hunt and peck.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Actually Captain Hates The Sea Is, That one I was able to find out. In fact Columbia didn't even bat an eye when that one came up. So Is Start Cheering, Rockin thru the Rockies, Time Out for Rythem, Fugitive Lovers, Swing Parade of 1946, and Turn Back the Clock. I'm Pretty sure that The MGM shorts are public domain as well, because all the Follies stuff went public domain as well.
You're wrong on all accounts. The MGM shorts are controlled by Warner Bros. who control the pre-1986 MGM library. Everything else is still under copyright

If you mean "didn't bat an eye" because you saw them on eBay, well, they didn't do much to bootleg sets of the 190 shorts when they were on there either. Doesn't mean the copyright doesn't exist.

Swing Parade of 1946 I believe is PD, but not the others you mentioned. I'm sure BeAStooge could clear that up.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
You're wrong on all accounts. The MGM shorts are controlled by Warner Bros. who control the pre-1986 MGM library. Everything else is still under copyright

If you mean "didn't bat an eye" because you saw them on eBay, well, they didn't do much to bootleg sets of the 190 shorts when they were on there either. Doesn't mean the copyright doesn't exist.

Swing Parade of 1946 I believe is PD, but not the others you mentioned.

Correct.

Offline afcomser

No I looked up the US Patent office to determine who Maintained Copyrights of these movies, you can reasearch that. It has nothing to do with E-bay, If I did this I am going to do it legally.

Offline afcomser

The Bat an Eye Remark I actually came from the guy I talked to at the Patent/Copywrite Office.

Offline afcomser

I give up on the whole thing!!! I was just trying to do a nice thing.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
No I looked up the US Patent office to determine who Maintained Copyrights of these movies, you can reasearch that. It has nothing to do with E-bay, If I did this I am going to do it legally.

The Patent office has nothing to do with copyrights, as those are two totally different things.  You need to search the Copyright Office (www.copyright.gov).  I did a search for "Captain Hates the Sea" and found that it's copyright was last updated in 1994.  A search for "Have Rocket, Will Travel" found that it was updated at the same time, along with over 1100 other films.

Offline afcomser

I don't know about the MGM shorts, I didn't ask. AOL/Time/Warner may still hold copywrite. Also know that when a company does that it doesn't always mean that every movie falls under that. Many MGM movies especially in the early years fell in PD. All it means it took over all control of movies MGM still had under copyright from 1986 or earlier. I know the Zigfield Follies Stuff all went PD a few years back and alot of the follies stuff was shot under the MGM label.

Yes I am Well aware Have Rocket will Travel Still Was under Copyright, It looks like Sony may have bought the rights to the Normandy/Columbia derita films.

20th Centry Fox Still Holds Snow White, however I think it's called a different subsiderary.

My Intention was not to make people mad, or start a copywrite legal battle. All I wanted to do was to help people on this forum more easily find certain movies.

Offline afcomser

Like I said I Give UP, Forget it. It was a bad Idea. I wont ever mention it again.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Swing Parade of 1946 I believe is PD
Correct.

Backing up, I don't believe it is.

Copyright records show that Lorimar (who acquired Allied Artists, aka Monogram in the late 1970s) renewed the filing. There are subsequent filings for Turner Entertainment (who acquired Lorimar in the late 1980s), and Time-Warner/WB (who acquired Turner in 1996), on the dates that copyright laws were amended/extended and ownership passed from hand-to-hand.

With some exceptions, e.g., the Bowery Boys series, the Monogram library was maintained in disarray over the years. Most likely, SWING PARADE has enjoyed a life on home video simply because it's managed to fly under Warner Bros.' radar... so far.

Offline afcomser

You need to search the Copyright Office (www.copyright.gov).  Correct.

I was directed to by the patent office to go to the Library Of Congress Card Catalog of US Copyright

But forget It.

Please Tell DunRobin to Delete this Post.

I am Sorry I brought it up.

Offline Rich Finegan

I am Sorry I brought it up.

Hey, no need to apologize.
Your original post showed good intentions, and led to some interesting discussion. I hope it didn't appear that anyone was criticizing you or picking on you.