Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Who were the other Howard boys?

We all know that Shemp, Moe & Curly were brothers, and that there were 5 Howard brothers altogether. Who were the other two? I assume they had no showbiz aspirations of any kind. Were they short like their Stooge brothers?  ;)
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline FineBari3

We all know that Shemp, Moe & Curly were brothers, and that there were 5 Howard brothers altogether. Who were the other two? I assume they had no showbiz aspirations of any kind. Were they short like their Stooge brothers?  ;)

Just off the top of my head, I want to say Jack and Irving are the other two brothers.  I know one of their families lived in Squirrel Hill, the Jewish neighborhood in Pittsburgh, PA. I can't remember which brother, though!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline curlysdame

Just off the top of my head, I want to say Jack and Irving are the other two brothers.  I know one of their families lived in Squirrel Hill, the Jewish neighborhood in Pittsburgh, PA. I can't remember which brother, though!

Yeah, Jack and Irving. (Irving was the only brother who kept the last name 'Horwitz.')  I think they were both insurance salesmen.  I'm sure they were all around the same height.
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline Curly4444

Offline curlysdame

Absolutely.  Off the top of my head, I know there are some in 'Moe Howard and The Three Stooges' and 'Curly.'
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline Hammond Eggar

Photo circa 1900
Front: Moses Horwitz (Moe)
Back (l to r): Jack, Irving and Sam (Shemp) Horwitz

[attachment deleted by admin]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline curlysdame

Photo circa 1900
Front: Moses Horwitz (Moe)
Back (l to r): Jack, Irving and Sam (Shemp) Horwitz

I remember this one!  They were cute little kids.  Shemp definitely looked mischievous.   ;D

Offline Curly4444

Looks like their getting ready to ship off to sea.  :D

Offline mankey8284

How freakin' cute is Moe in this pic  ;D
"I'm trying to think and nothing happens!" ~Curly
"I lost my ba-lance." ~Larry
"I'll knock your head right through your socks" ~Moe
"There I am pretty as a picture. Yeah, of an ape" ~Shemp and Moe
"Is that the sun up there? I don't know I'm new in town" ~Larry and Curly
"You'll never know just what tears are, till you've cried, like you've made me cry"
"What stupid, imbecilic fool put that u--I did! Oh, am I dumb" ~Larry
"What a day." ~Curly
"Who is it?" ~Larry
"Do you know what that paper was? Hot?" ~Moe & Curly

Offline metaldams

Even at age 3, or whatever he is, Moe still has that scowl.   ;D
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline stooge1029

The Three Stooges Scrapbook had a picture of the five brothers as adults. Couldnt find the photo online but thats an interesting one indeed.

Offline StoogeGirl

Found this picture online somewhere (can't for the life of me remember where) and I thought I remember reading in the caption that it was all 5 Howard brothers. However, after purchasing a used copy of "Curly" I found the picture in there and discovered that it's only 4 of the 5: Moe, Shemp, Jack, and Curly. Jack is standing behind Curly (seated). According to the book, this picture was taken at Joan Howard Maurer's wedding in 1947. Also read in there that Irving died in 1939 not long before their mother.

Offline Blystone

I wonder what it is in showbiz families that makes some of the kids born performers, and others not? Ever hear of Herbert, Raymond, and Roy Disney, or Milton "Gummo" Marx? I thought not...

Offline FineBari3

Found this picture online somewhere (can't for the life of me remember where) and I thought I remember reading in the caption that it was all 5 Howard brothers. However, after purchasing a used copy of "Curly" I found the picture in there and discovered that it's only 4 of the 5: Moe, Shemp, Jack, and Curly. Jack is standing behind Curly (seated). According to the book, this picture was taken at Joan Howard Maurer's wedding in 1947. Also read in there that Irving died in 1939 not long before their mother.

I have always loved that photo!  Look at Shemp, with his arms around everybody!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline afcomser

This Picture was taken at Joan's Wedding, Jack is the one with the glasses irving is sitting down to the left of Jerry (aka Curley) This pic is in Moe's Biography. They also have a pick of Jack and Moe in 1973.
Well Open The Door Squirrel Bait!!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
This Picture was taken at Joan's Wedding, Jack is the one with the glasses irving is sitting down to the left of Jerry (aka Curley) This pic is in Moe's Biography. They also have a pick of Jack and Moe in 1973.

Irving Horwitz is not in that photo... he died in 1939.