The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2010 Baseball - For Those Of Us Who Care

metaldams · 320 · 50137

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Both will be better than they were this year. I'm guessing Lackey is one of those guys who needed to adjust to the Boston spotlight. He is not an ideal top of the rotation guy but an excellent middle of the rotation guy. Beckett usually comes back strong after an off season. Lester and Clay will battle Beckett for Ace honors and Dice-K is Dice-K lol.  If any of those guys go down we have Wake waiting in the wings.

Watching The Tenth Inning on PBS right now. Great documentary on post Strike baseball.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Boid Brain

This just in: Joe Morgan fired by ESPN!.....I can now start turning up the volume on Sunday nights. :D

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I was reading about contracts and whatnot and it got me thinking about something that could be a good exercise for my fellow baseball fans here.

This involves "No-Trade Lists" which many of the top players have. As I'm sure you know they are not full no-trade clauses but rather a list of teams that the player cannot be traded to without the player's permission. So here's what I'm thinking: it would be interesting to see what our no-trade lists would be.

Here are the rules:

You are a top player on your favorite MLB Team. For some reason they want to trade you. The reason does not matter (this is to prevent us Red Sox and Yankees fans from saying "my team spends a lot so there is almost no reason why they would have to trade me).

You have to choose TEN teams, no more no less, to put on your no-trade list. I would like to see critical thinking here so no "I don't like the AL/NL" or whatever. A small explanation for each of your choices would be nice.

As a bonus, put down the one team you would pick to go to if your favorite team wants to trade you and you had the hypothetical ability to choose your destination.

I'll start:

Favorite Team - Red Sox

No-Trade List

1. Yankees - I am not saying I would never play for the Skanks if I were a MLB player. With that said, unless I came up through their system I would want it to be on MY terms. It would take an obscene amount of money to get me into pinstripes.

2. Braves - Call me a "regionist" if you want, but playing in the Deep South holds no appeal to me whatsoever. They run the team very well and do things the right way, but still I have no interest in playing in Atlanta.

3. Marlins - A poorly run organization with no fan base.

4. Blue Jays - The Canadian taxes are outrageous.

5. Rays - A well run organization but the fans just suck major balls.

6. Orioles - Two words: Peter Angelos.

7. Athletics - They are poorly run with a penny pinching owner. They had a run of churning out superstars through their system and didn't even attempt to keep any of them when it came time to pony up the dough.

8. Rangers - This, like the Braves is purely geographical. I have no interest in playing or living in Texas.

9. Astros - See above.

10. Tigers - I would fear for my life playing in Detroit.

If I could choose where the Red Sox trade me to it would be the Chicago Cubs. The prospect of possibly contributing to the first Cubs World Series championship in over a century would be very enticing.

I had to really ponder which teams I would include on my no-trade list, mostly because I had a hard time keeping it to ten. I considered putting teams like Washington and Minnesota on there, among others, but overall I am content with my list. If the Mets had not fired Omar Minaya they would have been on the list and the Tigers off.

This should be interesting if there are any takers.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
This just in: Joe Morgan fired by ESPN!.....I can now start turning up the volume on Sunday nights. :D

He wasn't fired, his contract ended and they did not renew.

Offline Curly4444

If I could choose where the Red Sox trade me to it would be the Chicago Cubs. The prospect of possibly contributing to the first Cubs World Series championship in over a century would be very enticing.

Did i miss the punch line here??  [pie]

I think we have a better chance of seeing the Democrats & Republicans all getting along than the cubs winning a series.  ::)

Offline Boid Brain

He wasn't fired, his contract ended and they did not renew.
Well, um...OK. But what's the difference?

Offline Boid Brain

The no trade list is an easy one for me: I'm a Cardinal, and it would take an obscene amount of jack to get me out of St. Louis. There are only 2 other teams that I would even consider playing for: The Cubs because of Wrigley Field, and Boston because of Fenway. I know I would leave my Cards if I was, say, 36 and losing playing time and could be a D.H. for the Sox.

The very LAST team I would play for is the goddam Yanks.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well, um...OK. But what's the difference?

Firing him would be terminating his contract before it was set to end.

Offline Boid Brain

Firing him would be terminating his contract before it was set to end.
Technically correct. Back in the good old Hollywood days when an actress had her contract dropped they were not allowed back on the lot; like they had stole' something.

I see Joe in that situation now. Not only does he not have his Sunday job anymore, but he's banished from the ESPN lot. At least that's the way I heard it.

Offline metaldams

You have to choose TEN teams, no more no less, to put on your no-trade list. I would like to see critical thinking here so no "I don't like the AL/NL" or whatever. A small explanation for each of your choices would be nice.

Geez Kane, you're asking way too much!   ;)

Actually a good topic.  I'll give this some thought and post on it tonight.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

How about a bit of baseball trivia? Long before any of us was born a man turned in one of the finest (and oddest) pitching performances ever. He is not someone still remembered today like Walter Johnson or Mathewson. Anyway, the other team only sent 27 batters to the plate, made 27 outs in the game (duh) but had no hits. The pitcher surrendered no walks and his team made no errors to allow a base runner.

In spite of these facts he was not awarded a perfect game, or even a no hitter. The question is: How is this possible?

Rules of this quiz: You cannot use the net to dig up the answer. You are on your honor as a Stoogeling! Second rule: If you happen to actually already know the answer, don't give it away. Just add a clue to help the ponderer's.

Here is a clue: A very famous player is in someway attached to this feat.

And here is a hint on solving it: I was tricky in my description of the game. Read it REAL close! If you have any detective in you feel free to ask me questions to get at the truth. OK, solve away!

Offline metaldams

How about a bit of baseball trivia? Long before any of us was born a man turned in one of the finest (and oddest) pitching performances ever. He is not someone still remembered today like Walter Johnson or Mathewson. Anyway, the other team only sent 27 batters to the plate, made 27 outs in the game (duh) but had no hits. The pitcher surrendered no walks and his team made no errors to allow a base runner.

In spite of these facts he was not awarded a perfect game, or even a no hitter. The question is: How is this possible?

Rules of this quiz: You cannot use the net to dig up the answer. You are on your honor as a Stoogeling! Second rule: If you happen to actually already know the answer, don't give it away. Just add a clue to help the ponderer's.

Here is a clue: A very famous player is in someway attached to this feat.

And here is a hint on solving it: I was tricky in my description of the game. Read it REAL close! If you have any detective in you feel free to ask me questions to get at the truth. OK, solve away!

I know the answer, so I guess I'm not allowed to disclose it.

Clue:  It involves a hall of famer playing both for a team and position he's not best known for.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

I know the answer, so I guess I'm not allowed to disclose it.

Clue:  It involves a hall of famer playing both for a team and position he's not best known for.
Wow! You really know your shit. Oh, and good clue.

Offline metaldams

OK, the ten teams I'd have a no-trade clause to:

I'm on the Red Sox:

1.) Yankees.  If I was drafted in the Yankees system, I'd play for them.  I know it's a business, but I can't understand how any of these players can switch sides willingly (a Mark Bellhorn situation is different because he was released by Boston).  Show a little passion.  Besides, when was the last time the two teams traded anyway?  Didn't it involve Don Baylor?

2.) and 3.) Marlins and Rays.  For reasons Jim mentioned.  Completely passionless fan bases.

4.) Dodgers.  Team is in a mess right now.

5.) 6.) 7.) Astros, Rangers, Braves.  For similar reasons Jim mentioned.  I have no problem visiting the south, but I wouldn't want to live there.  If I had my way, I'd live in New Hampshire or Vermont.  Perhaps someday.

8.) 9.) Royals, Pirates; two going nowhere teams, and while I'm not an expert on their farm systems, I don't get the impression they have a future

10.) Seattle Mariners.  The trains alone would drive me nuts, but this is a team that seems to fall apart no matter who they sign.  No thanks.

Team I'd like to be traded to:

Baltimore:  Yeah, call me crazy, but with Showalter, Matusz, Wieters, Markakis and Jones, I think they're a few pieces from being competitive.  They also have a real history, it's not too far from where I live, and I think the fans would show up again if they could compete.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Long before any of us was born a man turned in one of the finest (and oddest) pitching performances ever.

Lefty Howard!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
That's from the Shemp solo short Dizzy and Daffy (featuring baseball's Dean Brothers) that Brent has linked to in the post.

Offline Boid Brain

That's from the Shemp solo short Dizzy and Daffy (featuring baseball's Dean Brothers) that Brent has linked to in the post.
Ah! OK, I saw the Link.... KEWL!

Offline Boid Brain

Well, it's been a day and there seems to be very little interest in this perfect game question. But here is what happened: In the 1st inning of a game between Boston and the Senators the fiesty red headed Brick Owens pissed off Babe Ruth, the starter for Boston. Calling everything a ball gave the leadoff man a free pass.

Ruth went nuts! He and Owens hollered face to face for a while, until Brick had had enough. He threw Ruth out, and Ruth made a sweeping movement with his arm and knocked the Ump on his ass. Then the catcher (whose name is lost to the ages) wanted some. He was thrown out.

So Ernie Shore, who was a decent pitcher came in with the back up catcher. The runner on 1st figured it was a good time to steal, but Shore caught him leaning and picked him off. He then retired the next 26 batters. He pitched to 27 outs but only 26 batters. No perfecto.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I would just like to note how quiet Boston has been this Hot Stove session, only trading for some run of the mill 1B out of San Diego and signing some guy named Crawford.

While they are not going to smash 500 HR as a team the Sox have definitely addressed some key issues and have an absolutely lethal lineup to go with a stellar rotation. All we really need now is some bullpen pieces.

Offline metaldams

I would just like to note how quiet Boston has been this Hot Stove session, only trading for some run of the mill 1B out of San Diego and signing some guy named Crawford.

While they are not going to smash 500 HR as a team the Sox have definitely addressed some key issues and have an absolutely lethal lineup to go with a stellar rotation. All we really need now is some bullpen pieces.

You beat me to it.  I am of course thrilled with having Crawford and Gonzalez, and agree we need to work on the bullpen.  Our line-up is going to be sick.  The only achilles heel I can see is our lin-up is very left-handed, so guys like Cliff Lee and C.C. Sabbathia may have some success, but then again, I read a stat that Gonzalez is 7 for 10 against Lee, so who knows?  Anyway, if it wasn't guaranteed before, it's a guarantee now the Yanks will get Cliff Lee.  Small gripe about being left hand heavy, I'm of course very happy about this.

Oh, and like I said before, can you imagine having Crawford and Ellsbury on the basepaths?  The Sox have never had that much speed in their entire history.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Must be nice. As a Met fan, our big ticket additions are Boof Bosner, Ronny Paulino, and DJ Carrasco.

Offline metaldams

Must be nice. As a Met fan, our big ticket additions are Boof Bosner, Ronny Paulino, and DJ Carrasco.

Boof Bonser has the best name in baseball along with Coco Crisp and Milton Bradley.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

....just to add something to the left handed heavy thing, in the long run this won't be a problem, as this will probably be Drew and Ortiz's last year in Boston and I'm sure they'll be replaced by righties or switch hitters. 
- Doug Sarnecky