Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

List of Shemp vitaphones on DVD?

Offline falsealarms

After combing through this site and others, I have come up with the following Shemp vitaphones having been officially released on DVD... no bootlegs.

Am I missing any?

- DIZZY AND DAFFY (1934)
- HERE COMES FLOSSIE (1933)
- HIS FIRST FLAME (1935)
- I SCREAM (1934)
- SERVES YOU RIGHT (1935)
- WHY PAY RENT? (1935)
- CORN ON THE COP (1934)
- SALTWATER DAFFY (1933)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
After combing through this site and others, I have come up with the following Shemp vitaphones having been officially released on DVD... no bootlegs.

- DIZZY AND DAFFY (1934)
- HERE COMES FLOSSIE (1933)
- HIS FIRST FLAME (1935)
- I SCREAM (1934)
- SERVES YOU RIGHT (1935)
- WHY PAY RENT? (1935)
- CORN ON THE COP (1934)
- SALTWATER DAFFY (1933)

All the above are bootlegs. Warner Bros. holds a valid copyright on all, and has not officially licensed any of their past appearances on DVD (or VHS). All that I've seen have been copied from the same, original source... a series of VHS tapes released in the mid-1980s by Channel 13 Video, transferred from collector 16mm prints.

The only Shemp Vitaphone officially released is RAMBLING 'ROUND RADIO ROW # 7, on the "Big Band, Swing and Jazz" collection from the Warner Archive.

In addition, SMOKED HAMS was officially included in a laser disc box set in the early 90s (when Turner Ent. still owned the Vitaphone library).

Offline falsealarms

It's surprising those shorts made it onto the market if they weren't licensed. From what I recall, some of them (FLAME, COP, DAFFY) were supposed to be on the SHEMP COCKTAIL DVD but plans fell through over copyrights/licensing etc. Didn't seem to stop previous DVDs, i.e the "Wise Guys" DVD that has 6 Vitaphones on it. In any event, WB would be wise to put some/all of Shemp's Vitaphones on their archive site.

Offline locoboymakesgood

It's surprising those shorts made it onto the market if they weren't licensed. From what I recall, some of them (FLAME, COP, DAFFY) were supposed to be on the SHEMP COCKTAIL DVD but plans fell through over copyrights/licensing etc. Didn't seem to stop previous DVDs, i.e the "Wise Guys" DVD that has 6 Vitaphones on it. In any event, WB would be wise to put some/all of Shemp's Vitaphones on their archive site.
You have to wonder how some of this stuff 'slips' under the radar. Didn't Legend Films put out a colorized version of Heavenly Daze on one of their DVDs? I'm sure that wasn't licensed through Sony.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

Yeah, I actually have the Legend Films DVD box set called Triple Whammy.  It's got a colorized version of "Heavenly Daze."  I have no idea if they licensed that one or not.  Interesting to watch, though.  There's a lot of rare footage on that set.  Well, I had never seen a lot of that stuff, before.

Offline Larry Larry

Yeah, I actually have the Legend Films DVD box set called Triple Whammy.  It's got a colorized version of "Heavenly Daze."  I have no idea if they licensed that one or not.  Interesting to watch, though.  There's a lot of rare footage on that set.  Well, I had never seen a lot of that stuff, before.

I have that box set too.   I hadn't seen any of that stuff either.  It's an EXCELLENT set for being a public domain project.  Probably the best of its kind.

There are TONS of other public domain Stooge DVDs out there.  They all look pretty poor to me.

However, are any of them as good as this Legend set or does anyone know of one that includes other rare footage not on the Legend set?
These pretzels are making me thirsty!