Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Bess Flowers, Queen of the Hollywood Extras

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Bess Flowers (TERMITES OF 1938, TASSELS IN THE AIR, MUTTS TO YOU, A PLUMBING WE WILL GO, AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE) has been called the Queen of the Hollywood Extras. Her mini-bio at imdb claims she had supporting parts (mostly bits) in more Oscar-winning films than any other actor... I don't know if that is verified info, but it could be possible with her long line of credits.

I mention this because over the past week, I've been enjoying "THE LUCY SHOW Season 1" (1962 - 1963) DVD set, just released. Except for a couple public domain episodes, I probably haven't seen these for 20+ years. So it was nice to notice Bess in several [uncredited] roles, none of which are currently in her imdb filmography. I haven't watched all yet, but in 2 episodes, Bess appears as one of Lucy's friends in the Danfield Women's Volunteer Fire Dept.; in another, she's a restaurant patron and has a brief bit of schtick with Lucy.

Another uncredited filmography entry... a few years ago, the "Walt Disney Treasures" DVD series (co-produced by Leonard Maltin) released a volume called "Your Host, Walt Disney," which featured selected episodes of the TV series DISNEYLAND and THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF COLOR. Bess Flowers had a small role in the Disney feature film BABES IN TOYLAND (1961), and the Dec. 17, 1961 episode of WONDERFUL WORLD was a [staged] wrap party for the film. A sequence in the episode featured Ed Wynn entertaining cast members with jokes and comedy magic tricks, with Bess prominently watching throughout.

A long list of credits, and here are a few additions from the final years of Bess' acting career.