Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ok, America!!?

Baggie · 4 · 2024

Offline Baggie

Does anyone know of a joke back in the early thirties that may connect these comedies, or is the likeness just a coincidence:-

In Plane Nuts with Ted Healy and His Stooges, Ted Healy prompts Moe and Curly to shout 'Viva La France!' and put their arms in the air, but Larry shouts 'Okay, America!!' and blows on a dodgy sounding whistle.

I'm currently also really into the Marx Brothers at the moment. In Horse Feathers (filmed not long before Plane Nuts), Groucho is commentating on an American Football game and he says something like, 'Last week Mrs Moscowitz gave birth to twins. Okay, Mr Moscowitz!!' He then proceeds to blow a whistle, with the same dodgy sound given off by Larry's whistle.

Is this pure coincidence or just a joke of the times that I don't get?
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline Bruckman

• Musclehead, juice addict, synthol abuser, and Booby Dupe
  • Birdbrain
"OK, America!" was a catchphrase of journalist Walter Winchell ("Good evening Mr. and Mrs. America and all the ships at sea.....Flash! What Hollywood bigwig......"). His radio gossip program was hugely popular in the early Thirties. There's a Winchell reference in The Big Idea, too.
"If it wasn't for fear i wouldn't get out of bed in the morning" - Forrest Griffin

Offline Baggie

Thanks very much for that Bruckman. Who is the critic they refer to in Loco Boy Makes Good? Is this the same person too?
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline kinderscenen

Thanks very much for that Bruckman. Who is the critic they refer to in Loco Boy Makes Good? Is this the same person too?

Yep, even down to the line about if he likes the place, they'd have it made.

Sunday
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!