Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

"Tassels In The Air" Opening (2 versions)

Guest · 4 · 1704

xraffle

I mentioned in another thread that on the newer Volume 2 DVD, "Tassels In The Air" has a slightly different opening music. I'm not sure if everyone here noticed it or even knows what I'm talking about so I decided to capture them, upload them to YouTube and post them here. Hopefully, YouTube won't pull the plug on them. They're just opening credits, for goodness sakes.

I'm not sure which version is the "correct" one, so if anyone here happens to know, please feel free to tell us. Sometimes I wonder how two versions ended up being produced in the first place.

Older VHS version
[youtube=425,350]Jzbdhw-dcDM[/youtube]

Volume 2 DVD version
[youtube=425,350]nfgHKhdCjJI[/youtube]

ThumpTheShoes

The VHS version is missing the last note of the Columbia theme, and there's a noticeable pop between that bit and the Stooges' theme. As wonky as some of the VHS transfers were, I'd bet that was some quickie-fix for a damaged or, otherwise, truncated opening. And that, I might add, could have been caused by the addition/removal of the Screen Gems Television fanfare opening.

Back when those tapes were compiled, that kind of work was probably thought of as "Restoration"!   [cool]

All in all, it's just a guess.

EDIT!!
Then, again!..
Some of the other shorts are just.. well, like that, aren't they? Tassels does seem just a tad sloppier than the others, though. Hmmm...

I blame myself. And, furthermore, I quit and I'm going to bed.
For a month.

xraffle

A few other shorts are missing the last note of the theme music. One short that comes to mind is "Termites of 1938."

The pop sound has occured on a lot of shorts on the VHS versions. Thankfully, all the DVDs released so far have fixed that.

I kind of agree with you that the Volume 2 DVD version is the correct one as these shorts seem to be transferred from the original negatives.

Offline fwdstuck

Yea, I believe that all the vhs releases and the tv airings were dups that were used. And the dups were used to keep from damaging the original negatives. All we have seen were dups since 1958 when they were first released to tv. I think that with the new dvd releases, we are seeing how the original negatives actually were since they were released in theatres 70 years ago.