Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The 2008 Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 459 · 85694

Offline metaldams

Beckett's hurt (inflammation) and Boston's bats are struggling now.  I don't like our chances.  Last year, we had a healthy Beckett going in game 5 and two games in Fenway.  2004 we had a miracle.  This year, we don't have the former though I think we have a shot in game 5, I don't see us taking two in Tampa.  Of course, it's possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.  Who knows, maybe Varitek will pull a Bellhorn for us.  Logic says they can't do it, but my heart's still with them, so go Sox!

But as far as "misery" goes if we lose, we'll have won 2 World Series in the past 5 seasons, and since you can't win every year, Red Sox fans have nothing to be ashamed of.  Feel sorry for Cubs fans.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I really think Tampa needs to cut the head of the snake tomorrow and not let us back in the series. The Kazmir move is beyond stupid.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I really think Tampa needs to cut the head of the snake tomorrow and not let us back in the series. The Kazmir move is beyond stupid.

Matsuzaka Vs. Kazmir in Fenway.  On paper, a Boston win.
Injured Beckett Vs. Shields in Tampa.  On paper, a Tampa win.

I think Maddon's just going for the "sure" win in game 6.  Then again, Beckett may have blood pouring out of his oblique and pitch a gem.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The thing is the Rays have all the momentum right now. Why even give the Sox a shot of sending it back to Tampa if you can close it out in Boston? If Boston wins that brings momentum back to the Boston side...I just think it's a major mistake.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

The thing is the Rays have all the momentum right now. Why even give the Sox a shot of sending it back to Tampa if you can close it out in Boston? If Boston wins that brings momentum back to the Boston side...I just think it's a major mistake.

Jim, I hope you're right.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Think about it: if you're going to play it that way and think about game 6 instead of game 5 why not just push Shields back to game 7? That way you can have him in the deciding game! Nevermind that game 5 can be the deciding game. Dumb dumb dumb.

Offline metaldams

Well, no matter who wins, they'll be facing Philly.  Congrats to Garystooge Lassin, Lunkhead if he ever reads this, and to all the other Phillie fans!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I really thought (and hoped) that it would be more competitive, but congrats to the Phillies and good luck in the Series.

Offline FineBari3

This is pathetic that the most action on this board has been about baseball playoffs.

I think it is probably jealousy on my part, being that my local team, the Pirates, haven't had a winning season since 1992. I even worked for the Pirates in 1996, and I had lost my love of the game before that.

We are cheering for the Rays here in Pittsburgh, because they have no big-time payrolls, just like our team. It is also nice to see Jason Bay doing well for the BoSox. Too bad the Pirates are the best major league farm team for every other team.

The Pirates are the New Cubs!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Darkhoarse820

I feel totally let down by the Dodgers as a whole.  Actually, it's sad to say but, Manny was the front of the line on this team.  Steve Lyons even said it on the local Fox network after the game.  Manny became the heart and soul of a team that had no chance of making it prior to August 1st.  He instantly changed everything and we as a team (a one-man team) made it further than we've gone in 20 years.  I'd like to believe, though, that we have 24 other guys who want to win and have fun as much as Manny seems to have had over the past two months.  All of you can say what you want about him.  I don't doubt he did some pretty stupid things over in Boston - and even in Cleveland - but, he did NONE of that here and, if we do resign him to whatever capacity, I don't doubt he'll probably pull a number of underhanded stunts here as well.  Time tells the tale, as they say. 

As for the team itself, they have the potential right there on the surface and they know it's there now.  All Manny did was bring a positive energy to the clubhouse and everything went right.  I still don't know (and will never know) why he did so much to piss off the fans and the management over in Boston.  I guess I had to have been there.  He woke up the Dodgers and he kept them awake for two months.  That's two months longer than I would have originally given them credit for. 

For all it's worth, a non-Manny team would have been six-feet under by mid August and the D'Backs would have won the division.  The only difference is that the Cubs would have won the series instead and they might have been the ones going to the World Series now. 

But, it is what it is and the Phillies are bound for the World Series and, as I go completely out of character, I will lick my own wounds and declare myself a fan of whatever AL team becomes their opponent.  This is, of course, an unprecedented move since I have never rooted for an AL team in the 20 years since we were in the 1988 World Series (except for 1989 and 2002 when I just couldn't watch period.  The Giants and an AL team just isn't for me).

Other than all of that, March is an awfully long way away...Congrats to the winner.

Offline Lefty

"Today, L.A.  Tomorrow, A.L.  Flat as a pancake!"  It feels so gooooooooooooooooood for the Phillies to be in the World Series!  Considering that they have lost 4 times, to the Red Sox, Yankees, Orioles, and Blue Jays, coupled with the Wilson Goode Curse on Philly teams, I predict the Rays to win the Series.  FYI, Willie B. Goode managed somehow to get voted in (early and often and by some dead individuals) as mayor in November of 1983, after the 76ers became the last local team to win a major sports championship.  (Okay, my bowling team in 2006 is the REAL last major championship team in the region.  LOL)  Of course, Fox is totally disappointed with the Phillies beating Rupert Murdoch's (former) team, but that's what makes it "just -- 2 -- sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!"  BTW, will Jeanne Zelasko ever spring for a complete set of bottom dentures?

Offline metaldams

I feel totally let down by the Dodgers as a whole.  Actually, it's sad to say but, Manny was the front of the line on this team.  Steve Lyons even said it on the local Fox network after the game.  Manny became the heart and soul of a team that had no chance of making it prior to August 1st.  He instantly changed everything and we as a team (a one-man team) made it further than we've gone in 20 years.  I'd like to believe, though, that we have 24 other guys who want to win and have fun as much as Manny seems to have had over the past two months.  All of you can say what you want about him.  I don't doubt he did some pretty stupid things over in Boston - and even in Cleveland - but, he did NONE of that here and, if we do resign him to whatever capacity, I don't doubt he'll probably pull a number of underhanded stunts here as well.  Time tells the tale, as they say. 

As for the team itself, they have the potential right there on the surface and they know it's there now.  All Manny did was bring a positive energy to the clubhouse and everything went right.  I still don't know (and will never know) why he did so much to piss off the fans and the management over in Boston.  I guess I had to have been there.  He woke up the Dodgers and he kept them awake for two months.  That's two months longer than I would have originally given them credit for. 

For all it's worth, a non-Manny team would have been six-feet under by mid August and the D'Backs would have won the division.  The only difference is that the Cubs would have won the series instead and they might have been the ones going to the World Series now. 

But, it is what it is and the Phillies are bound for the World Series and, as I go completely out of character, I will lick my own wounds and declare myself a fan of whatever AL team becomes their opponent.  This is, of course, an unprecedented move since I have never rooted for an AL team in the 20 years since we were in the 1988 World Series (except for 1989 and 2002 when I just couldn't watch period.  The Giants and an AL team just isn't for me).

Other than all of that, March is an awfully long way away...Congrats to the winner.

Manny Ramirez is one of the greatest hitters who ever lived.  Manny Ramirez brings forth a lot of fun moments.  I will always hold a special place in my heart for the good times. 

The fact is Manny wanted out of Boston for years.  The baseball obssessed Boston media and fanbase was too much for him and his family, and you know what?  I can understand that, 20 million dollars aside.  That's no excuse for his unprofessional behavior.  That's no excuse for sitting out big games, not hustling out grounders, and faking injuries. 

I'm glad Manny brought life to the Dodger fan base, but keep in mind his reputation was rightfully soiled by his behavior in Boston, and since this is a contract year and he and Boras are looking for the big bucks, he had no choice but to produce and be a good citizen. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

" FYI, Willie B. Goode managed somehow to get voted in (early and often and by some dead individuals) as mayor in November of 1983, after the 76ers became the last local team to win a major sports championship.  (Okay, my bowling team in 2006 is the REAL last major championship team in the region.  LOL)  Of course, Fox is totally disappointed with the Phillies beating Rupert Murdoch's (former) team, but that's what makes it "just -- 2 -- sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!"  BTW, will Jeanne Zelasko ever spring for a complete set of bottom dentures?

Enough about this Philly not winning a championship since 1983!  Why must your city consistently insult the great one, Bon Jovi and the sports team he owns?  I lead you to this link.

http://www.philadelphiasoul.com

Arena Football, baby! 

As for Jeanne Zelasko...I'm an Erin Andrews guy myself, if I had to choose national sports sideline eye candy not holding a pom pom.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

4 - 0.  I feel like I've been through the film in Kane's signature right now.

Ugh....5 - 0.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It's not the losing that's getting to me, it's the dogshit way we've played. Congrats to Tampa (yawn) and any fans (yeah right). I'll have better things to do than watch the Series this year, like slam my dick in the car door repeatedly. Tampa should win easily.

Was it too much to ask to have ONE good playoff matchup this year?

Offline metaldams

It's not the losing that's getting to me, it's the dogshit way we've played. Congrats to Tampa (yawn) and any fans (yeah right). I'll have better things to do than watch the Series this year, like slam my dick in the car door repeatedly. Tampa should win easily.

I'm with you, the losing I can handle, the shoddy play I can't.

I will be watching the World Series.  I have too many friends who are Phillies fans not to be interested, so go Phillies.  If they can somehow beat this Tampa Bay team, I'll never have to hear about 1983 ever again.

Congrats to Tampa Bay, they earned it.

Possibly the last Red Sox game for Wakefield and Varitek, and definitely the last for Timlin.  The '04 team may look thinner.  Ortiz is probably past his prime, and Youklis is actually a much better and experienced player than he was back then.

We definitely need another slugger, and at least have Bailey or maybe Carter for pop off the bench.  A free agent starter like Peavy would be cool too.

I also hope Paps pitches tonight, no matter the score. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

I think both of our Sox teams need to do a lot of work this coming winter. You have to hand it to Tampa Bay, they seem to have put together a pretty good team.  Philly looked pretty good too. I'll still watch, maybe there could still be some good baseball left this year. I believe I'll be pulling for Philly because of some friends I have in the Philladelphia area.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I don't think for one second that the Phillies stand a chance in hell against Tampa, but I hope they prove me wrong. Those rednecks who have called themselves Rays fans don't deserve shit.

Offline Justin T

I'm not thrilled its looking to be Tampa vs Philly for the World Series, I dont care who wins, although
I'm an American League kind of guy so I guess I'll  sorta be rooting for Tampa. But, if the Phillies
find a way to win good for them but I doubt they will, Tampa is playing amazing right now and
I don't see it stopping.

I'll probably watch some of the games and see what happens, but I'm not emotionally invested.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

I just watched Paps pitch the 7th.  He allowed the two inherited runners to score, but kept his postseason scoreless streak alive.  Since I saw Paps end so many games this year on a positive note, I'll end my viewing season with him as well.  The game is now off, get 'em in April guys.

Good season despite a bad ending.  Lester broke out and threw a no-hitter, Bay proved their's life beyond Manny, Paps had another great year, Masterson made a good first impression, Youk and Pedroia tore things up, and the Yankees didn't make the playoffs. With Lowell, Ortiz, Varitek, and even Drew as question marks, there's no doubt free agent signings and/or farm system promotions are in order for the line-up.  Despite this series, the pitching is fine, but I'll take a good free agent like Peavy or Burnett anyday.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I turn on my screen, giving up, and that second Ortiz hit a 3 run HR.  Holy shit, it's 7 - 6 now.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Again, congrats on Tampa Bay winning the American League Pennant (it seems to be working).

Offline metaldams

Again, congrats on Tampa Bay winning the American League Pennant (it seems to be working).

I pick Tampa Bay in 4 for the WS.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I pick Tampa Bay in 4 for the WS.

I'll watch a Tampa/Philly World Series.