Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Banned shows????

BLKCLOUD · 62 · 25445

Offline RICO987

Seems to me it was an ad hominem attack using shtick!  Shtick or no shtick, this is an interesting subject and I believed some segment of the viewing audience here was interested in knowing this bit of Stooges history. 

And yes, I can tell the difference between shtick and ad hominem attacks.  I have learned my lesson now though.  The next time I write a serious response I will try to throw something in about the quicksand episode, or maybe something about the one where they get to the top of Mt. Everest and Moe discovers Curly forgot the camera… 

Offline Blystone

Seems to me it was an ad hominem attack using shtick!  Shtick or no shtick, this is an interesting subject and I believed some segment of the viewing audience here was interested in knowing this bit of Stooges history. 

And yes, I can tell the difference between shtick and ad hominem attacks.  I have learned my lesson now though.  The next time I write a serious response I will try to throw something in about the quicksand episode, or maybe something about the one where they get to the top of Mt. Everest and Moe discovers Curly forgot the camera… 

It ain't only that newspaper that's picayune, you cementhead. Pick out two:

[fork]

Offline RICO987

OK, I guess I will pick me and YOU.   All in fun of course!

Offline Blystone

OK, I guess I will pick me and YOU.   All in fun of course!

I represent that remark!
[3stooges]

Offline Pithecanthropus

Were the Stooges banned from german theaters during 1936 from on? Cause im pretty sure hitler didnt find that funny when moe inpersonated him.
Seeing as they were Jewish, I wouldn't be surprised if they were banned in Germany beginning 1933.
Termite season is here.  Are you ready?

Offline TXShemp

I'm coming into this conversation a little late. But I had to say.... we have to remember this is 1944. In 1944 "gay" meant a very happy person. Ricky Ricardo could not even say that Lucy was "pregnant" only "expecting." No one thought the use of these words was vulgar then because no one expected to even see a film with the slighest bit of vulgarity. A man could have the name "Dick" and not be laughed at. Those were the days!

Offline Pithecanthropus

I'm coming into this conversation a little late. But I had to say.... we have to remember this is 1944. In 1944 "gay" meant a very happy person.

Bolding mine.

Not necessarily.  In the 1938 screwball classic Bringing Up Baby, there's the scene where Katharine Hepburn has maneuvered Cary Grant to her country house.  To keep him there she sends all his clothes off to the cleaners, and he has to put on one of her frilly bathrobes.  So flummoxed trying to explain to Hepburn's aunt why he's wearing that thing, he finally gives up and says "Because I just went gay!" and stamps his feet.  It's generally thought that this bit of dialog might have been intended as a double entendre.

Offline TXShemp

Offline Boid Brain

Thats interesting. I've never seen that.
Jeez! I posted this info on here over a week ago. >:(  "Gay" for homo's was in FACT a buzzword from the roaring '20s to the '40's. The stupid censors had no clue that Cary Grant meant exactly what he said. It makes no sense any other way....how could "I just went happy" explain his cross dressing? Makes no sense.

Offline TXShemp

The point i was making is that movie-goers back then did not think about a rating when they went to see a film.

Offline Pithecanthropus

Thats interesting. I've never seen that.

You should check it out.  It's a great comedy of manners contrasting a  slightly airheaded heiress (Hepburn) with the introverted paleontologist (Grant) whom she's fallen for.  Also there's a leopard, the title character.  One of the traits sociologists have noted about the uppermost strata of the American and British class systems is that many of the people in them tend to be rather badly informed, presumably because when you have that much money you don't really need to know about things like science, math, or history.  At one point Hepburn's character, referring to a lost dinosaur fossil, says "It must be hundreds of years old!   Believe it or not, she reminds me a little bit of Curly in this movie.

Another good film with those two stars is The Philadelphia Story.   It's a little less stooge-like, but still a great film from around the same time.

Offline MR77100

The station here in Chicago used to ban the following:

YOU NAZTY SPY
I'LL NEVER HEIL AGAIN
THEY STOOGE TO CONGA
BACK FROM THE FRONT
HIGHER THAN A KITE
THE YOKES ON ME
NO DOUGH BOYS
UNCIVIL WARBIRDS
THREE MISSING LINKS
SOME MORE OF SAMOA
HEAVENLY DAZE

There were many other shorts (Id say approximately 20-30) where they cut scenes out (scissors on the nose, drinking gas etc.) It wasn't until the early 80s when we got cable that I first saw these all uncut on WTBS out of Atlanta. They did show BACK FROM THE FRONT for some time but eventually pulled it out of rotation too.
In 1991, I taped them off Fox 32 and many of the shorts you mentioned were either banned or chopped up. They would show an hour of Stooges from 11 A.M to noon and would show two full shorts, and about 10 minutes of another. That chopped up short would always be one that would have been banned otherwise. The chopped up shorts were
NO DOUGH BOYS
THE YOKE'S ON ME
THEY STOOGE TO CONGA
THREE MISSING LINKS
SOME MORE OF SOMOA

Other editing I noticed while taping these shorts during this time period:
-The black maid being cut out of TERMITES OF 1938, which lead to a plot hole later on.
-"JAP" being bleeped out of BOOBY DUPES twice
-"JAP" and "Jap spy" being cut out of SPOOK LOUDER
-"Japanese" being bleeped out of SOCK-A-BYE BABY
-Moe throwing the pen on Shemp's nose from SPOOKS! was cut.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 02:06:40 AM by MR77100 »