Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Happy Veterans Day

Guest · 8 · 2177

Offline JazzBill

[youtube=425,350]_y1YL9C8Hfw[/youtube]
Happy Veterans Day to all my fellow Veterans and thanks to all that serve now.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
A strikingly realistic replay of D-Day ... this was posted last year (I believe - perhaps even by you jrvass) and it had the same effect as this year. All hail the gents and dames who have given their all for our way of life.

Set me straight ... I'm almost 50, and yet I've always been led to believe (from our ever-present-and-market-saavy media) that "Veterans Day" is a day set aside to venerate our surviving soldiers of combat ... (just watch any news broadcast of NBC Today this time of year) and being no less lucky for surviving (watch the video posted by jrvass!) these persons would give their left testicle (or ovary, whichever the case may be) to trade places with them. I REALLY hope that a "veteran" isn't just a person who lived through a war backed or supported by or sanctioned by the USA, but ANY person called upon to uphold the values set forth by our current constitution, living or dead.

(I know I'm right, but the argument sounded too-ooo-ooo good to pass up! Newsfolk of today [and yesterday] are obsessed with finding any and ALL surviving participants of the conflict-of-interest and highlighting their stories, and why? ... 'cause their alive!) DAMN the news media!!
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline JazzBill

You make it sound way to complicated. I always thought it was just a way to say "Thank you" to our veterans ( dead or alive ) By the way, I'm JazzBill not jrvass.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Giff may be reaching back into his memories...

The only war that I could have fought was Grenada. I'm 45.

But I appreciate all that served...

My father in WWII, and my uncle who was wounded twice paratrooping onto Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

My Grandfather. Who was the budget director for General Motors. Part of the "Arsenel for Democracy". Unfortunately he died when I was 5 yrs-old. He used to visit daily with donuts and play 'hide & seek' with me.

My Grandfather Vass was a trainer/spotter of artillery crews in WWI. He flew above the fray and radioed down "a little left".

Great-great-grand-uncle Alex Vass got the shit sandwich. Died a miserable death at Andersonville GA during the Civil War.

What Is A Veteran

Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye.

Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg - or perhaps another sort of inner steel: the soul's ally forged in the refinery of adversity.

Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem.

You can't tell a vet just by looking. What is a vet?

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.

He is the bar room loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.

She - or he - is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.

He is the POW who went away one person and came back another - or didn't come back AT ALL.

He is the Quantico drill instructor who has never seen combat - but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

He is the parade - riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.

He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.

He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.

He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket - palsied now and aggravating slow - who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.

He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being - a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

He is a soldier, and a savior, and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, the greatest nation ever known.

So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say, "Thank You".  That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.  Two little words that mean a lot, "THANK YOU."

author- Father Denis Edward O'Brien USMC

LOVE MANY - TRUST FEW - WRONG NONE
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND THOSE WHO SERVE

This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Sorry 'bout the "jrvass" JazzBill ... but they are pronounced almost exactly the same (aren't they?).
BTW ... ith isth wiff gweat difficulthy shpeaking ... yeth.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
When I was a kid, Veterans Day was still commonly called Armistice Day.  It was the anniversary of the day the Armistice was signed declaring the fighting over at the end of World War I, in 1918, and it is still observed in other countries as well as in the U.S.  It was changed under President Eisenhower in 1954 into a holiday to honor verterans from all wars.

Offline JazzBill

When I was a kid, Veterans Day was still commonly called Armistice Day.  It was the anniversary of the day the Armistice was signed declaring the fighting over at the end of World War I, in 1918, and it is still observed in other countries as well as in the U.S.  It was changed under President Eisenhower in 1954 into a holiday to honor verterans from all wars.
Yeah, I remember when it was called Armistist Day also. I guess that makes me old too !

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Yeah, I remember when it was called Armistist Day also. I guess that makes me old too !

Whaddaya mean, too?  [SLAP]   ;D