Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The last time Laurel and Hardy were seen together... ever!

Offline Hammond Eggar

That's exactly how this short clip was titled.  It's said that the young man in the clip is Stan's grandson.  Can anyone here put a possible date on this piece of film? I assume it's probably from the mid-to-late 1950s.  Would anyone care to take a guess?[pie] 

Laurel and Hardy
&mode=related&search=
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Sadistic Stooge

I would have to say 1956 b/c hardy died in 1957  and he was very sick at that time and the clip shows that . so sad to watch him go down hill like that :(

I just wish I could of seen Laurel and Hardy & The Three Stooges work on a movie together , That would of be some good comedy  :)

Offline Carrie The Canary

This clip is actually an 8mm home movie from 1956.

Oliver Hardy was already sick at the time, and the doctors told him to loose weight fast, which he did as you can see.  Shortly after this film was shot, he had another heart attack (some say brought on by the rapid weight loss) which completely debilitated him, and he died some months later in August 1957.

The last professional appearance of Laurel and Hardy was on the BBC Television show "This Is Music Hall" in 1955, just before Hardy got sick.
They filmed a little "hello" in Los Angeles to the Water Rats (the British theatrical fraternity who were a part of the show) and the film was inserted into the TV show.

Here it is, slightly edited.  It is their last public appearance together.  A perfect "goodbye".

Offline Justin T

I would have to say 1956 b/c hardy died in 1957  and he was very sick at that time and the clip shows that . so sad to watch him go down hill like that :(

I just wish I could of seen Laurel and Hardy & The Three Stooges work on a movie together , That would of be some good comedy  :)

We almost got your wish Sadistic, The Stooges and Laurel and Hardy both appeared in the 1934 MGM movie Hollywood Party with
Jimmy Durante but they dont share any scenes together, the Stooges appearence was just a couple of minutes while L&H got signifigant screen time
in the last half of the movie, which is a real shame. It would have been cool to see that.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"