Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Stooges on iTunes

Offline falsealarms

The Three Stooges are on iTunes, in the form of two albums they put out in the 60s. Tracks are 99 cents each. Most of the stuff is kiddie crap, but the Alphabet Song is always nice.

Pilsner Panther

The Three Stooges are on iTunes, in the form of two albums they put out in the 60s. Tracks are 99 cents each. Most of the stuff is kiddie crap, but the Alphabet Song is always nice.

I've got both of those albums (no surprise there), but I've never posted them in Pilsner's Picks because I figured I'd be just begging for a lawsuit. I'd be really, really surprised if that material turned out to be in the public domain.

In addition to the "kiddie crap," there are also a few 20's-vintage vaudeville songs in the mix there. Too bad the Stooges never made an album with Shemp; as their extended musical number on the Ed Wynn Show proves (along with their few singing bits in the shorts), they were excellent harmony singers in the old "Barber Shop" style. I'm surprised that no one in the record industry ever thought of bringing Moe, Larry, and Shemp into a recording studio. In the early 50's, LP's were just being introduced to the public, and the Shemp-era Stooges were very popular, right at the same time.

A record like that would have sold a lot of copies! If they'd done straight versions of some of the most popular American close-harmony songs from, say, 1900 to 1920, the album would have been a real gem.

Well, there's another great "might have been..." That wasn't.  :(

At least Joe D. can carry a tune most of the time (stay on pitch, that is), but there's not much more to say for him as a singer.

[shrug]

Offline falsealarms

Moe, Larry and Curly Joe don't sound bad. They don't sound good either - but it's nothing to be ashamed of. At least sample the songs, if you haven't heard them. That goes to anyone.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I've heard these songs before, and they are indeed lame kiddie crap. I wouldn't pay a dime for any of those songs.

The Suits would make a nice chunk of pocket change if they offered the Columbia Stooge Canon on iTunes. They are starting to offer South Park episodes so I don't see why they can't do Stooge shorts too.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Absolutely! What an excellent idea.

iTunes - are ya listenin'?