Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ted Healey, Wallace Beery, Harry Cohn and the Mob

Offline Moose Malloy

Just in case this article hasn't been discussed: Dark, yet amusing, it's a must-read for all Stoogers

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/three-stooges/

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
... it's a must-read for all Stoogers

No, it is not!  That piece of shit article promotes almost every outrageous myth about the Stooges'' history.  Sadly, it is frequently picked up in Google searches and rarely a week goes by that someone isn't taking it out for a online airing on Facebook and other social media pages.  100% irresponsible journalism.

• Healy was not murdered by Wallace Beery or Pat DiCicco; he died of complications from kidney nephritis
  • Ted did not have an affair with Thelma Tood
  • Cohn and Columbia did not take advantage of the Stooges
  • The Stooges were not on a Hitler death list
  • Columbia's work schedule (a total of 6 - 7 cumulative weeks / year in their peak production years of 1935 - 1950) played no role in his decline
  • Cohn never denied Curly a leave of absence, nor was one ever requested
  • Shemp did not take a pay cut in rejoining the Stooges; his Columbia earnings increased
  • Joe Besser did not have a clause in his contract preventing Moe from hitting him

And the list goes on...

Offline Kopfy2013

Thanks for the corrections BeAStooge ....

My only comments are what does 'taking advantage of' mean in regards to Cohn?  Did he give them a raise every year or ??

For Healy, hard for me to believe the beating he took did not contribute to his death.  Maybe his body was weakened by all the alcohol and when he took the beating his body could not take it and he died.  Hard to really know with the shoddy coroner work that seems to be prevalent in LA (Marilyn Monroe).
Niagara Falls

Offline Moose Malloy

Thanks for the corrections BeAStooge ....

My only comments are what does 'taking advantage of' mean in regards to Cohn?  Did he give them a raise every year or ??

For Healy, hard for me to believe the beating he took did not contribute to his death.  Maybe his body was weakened by all the alcohol and when he took the beating his body could not take it and he died.  Hard to really know with the shoddy coroner work that seems to be prevalent in LA (Marilyn Monroe).
How would I know if the article is right or if Be A Stooges is right? It is a must read either way

Offline metaldams

How would I know if the article is right or if Be A Stooges is right? It is a must read either way

BeAStooge has been researching The Three Stooges for decades and even puts me and the rest of the posters, no slouches in our own right, to shame with knowledge.

The author at empireonline just wrote a token Stooge article.  It’s a matter of what source is more trustworthy.

An example - Shemp’s earnings.  There was actually an article in The Three Stooges Journal, if memory serves me correct, showing indeed Shemp earned more as a Stooge.  Source?  Shemp’s income tax returns.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Moose Malloy

BeAStooge has been researching The Three Stooges for decades and even puts me and the rest of the posters, no slouches in our own right, to shame with knowledge.

The author at empireonline just wrote a token Stooge article.  It’s a matter of what source is more trustworthy.

An example - Shemp’s earnings.  There was actually an article in The Three Stooges Journal, if memory serves me correct, showing indeed Shemp earned more as a Stooge.  Source?  Shemp’s income tax returns.
On Cohn: It's been widely reported that he did in fact have goons on the payroll and was certainly acquainted with Mickey Cohen which could link him up with god knows who. It's also no secret that Cohn had the shit beat out of Sammy Davis Jr. to make him forget about Mae Britt, a contract actress (I guess he didn't know how close Sam was to FRANK SINATRA and HIS connections)

So it's feasible that he may have "muscled" the boys. On Shemp making more money: that makes sense. Shemp was a player in Abbott and Costello FEATURE films. I don't doubt for a second that his love and concern for Moe and Larry brought him back to the group, but the money didn't hurt.