Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Recent Posts

The Three Stooges - Curly Years / Re: Uncivil Warriors (1935)
« Last post by NoahYoung on May 12, 2024, 08:42:52 PM »
I’m overdue to rewatch FEET FIRST, but Felix Adler is credited in some type of writing capacity in both films.

Go for it!

It's kind of funny how you can pick up on these re-use of gags in today's world as opposed to in year's past -- with access to so many films everywhere today. How many people 40 years ago, for example, would have viewed UNCIVIL WARRIORS and FEET FIRST, either many times, or within a short time-frame, to catch that both used that "Charley who walks like this" gag?

And how many Stooges fans were also Harold Lloyd fans? Not many today, either, probably!

Laurel and Hardy / Re: Busy Bodies (1933) - Laurel and Hardy
« Last post by NoahYoung on May 12, 2024, 08:32:59 PM »
Keaton was probably viewed as too big a star to make shorts at Roach when talkies came in, but artistically, it might have been a good fit.

Actually, I never considered Keaton going over to Roach. What I meant was not trying to change his style so much in the talkies. But we all know that that wasn't Keaton's decision -- it was the brainstorm of the geniuses at M-G-M.

As mentioned above, Keaton wasn't too big for Educational -- in 1934, however. It was not just a step, but whole floor below Roach, but this was after Keaton's career went south because of M-G-M. Keaton probably drank before the talkies, but he didn't become an out-and-out alcoholic until the talkies rolled-in, and only because of the disastrous pictures and loss of control at M-G-M. (As I write this, no less than 5 of Keaton's M-G-M talkies on VHS sit on my shelf beside me, which I haven't viewed in over 30 years since they were first released. To be honest, not all of them were THAT bad, and most had at least a few good moments, if I recall.)

From what I've read, Keaton was kind of hoodwinked and sorta/kinda betrayed by Nicholas Schenck, but as Michael Corleone would say, it wasn't personal -- it was strictly business.

I'm not sure the average movie-goer in 1929/1930 woud have know that anything had changed regarding Keaton's studio, since some of his prior pre-United Artists pictures opened with Leo the Lion. Had he gone to Roach in 1929, Leo would have also introduced his pictures.

I"m not sure that Keaton was too big for Roach in 1929 actually -- L&H were already huge when the talkies rolled in, and they stuck with Roach until 1940, with only one non-Roach picture (THE FLYING DEUCES) made during that time -- and not until 1939.

Had he gone to Roach in 1929, or 1934, he would have presumably been given the artistic freedom alloted to Laurel and Hardy. The caveat here is that I doubt Roach was ready to start producing features regularly in 1929 -- L&H started making just one a year starting in 1930 (though PARDON US wasn't released until 1931), and it wasn't until late 1935 that L&H abandoned the shorts to concentrate exclusively on features.

It is fairly well documented that Keaton was not a businessman, nor was good with money. Harold Lloyd and Charlie Chaplin were; hence they financed their own pictures and didn't have to cow-tow to the studio heads. Despite this, Lloyd didn't fair too well in the talkies, but Chaplin had the cogliones to release CITY LIGHTS in 1931 as a silent picture.

So with Keaton at Roach, on Roach's dime, and with budgeted artistic freedom, Keaton certainly would have turned out better pictures in the early 30s, albeit shorts. He certainly couldn't have done any worse.

Most Keaton's Education shorts were pretty good (comparatively), and these seem to be closer to what he might have churned out had he gone to Roach, as opposed to what he did churn out at M-G-M. The films are betrayed by a low budget, and pedestrian camerwork and sound recording, magnified today by video transfers from what I presume to be the best survivng film elelements, which I can tell you ain't from the camera negatives!

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'."

John Greenleaf Whittier

« Last post by Samurai on May 12, 2024, 02:50:24 PM »
Keaton was probably viewed as too big a star to make shorts at Roach when talkies came in, but artistically, it might have been a good fit.
Well, about 40 years after 'Busy Bodies', Keaton finally did play a foil to Laurel & Hardy. Oddly, Buster looked surprisingly young...and slightly feminine.  :D

(you can see it for yourselves on utube...photo has info/time)
The Three Stooges - Curly Years / Re: Sock-A-Bye Baby (1942)
« Last post by J_Kasumi on May 10, 2024, 02:49:00 PM »
I recently rewatched this short, and it's okay. The plot is so so, and while I do like seeing the Stooges as fathers, the ending never clicked with me. Based on how the couple act, they don't deserve children. The WWII references didn't bother me, especially the Japanese joke, since I am of Japanese descent. But, most of the short is decent. Again, if the ending had been different, I'd give it a higher score. But, as it stands, I give it a seven out of ten, like most of the others have said on this post.
« Last post by Freddie Sanborn on May 10, 2024, 12:11:42 PM »
Buster wasn’t too big to make two-reelers for Educational by 1934. But having more than one prodigious alcoholic under contract (we’re looking at you, Charley), Hal Roach was allergic to adding any more to his roster. He considered signing Lloyd Hamilton in the early ‘30’s, but ultimately declined for that reason.
« Last post by metaldams on May 08, 2024, 03:16:35 PM »
It's also one of their handful of talkies that can play well as a silent film. I say this because Blackhawk Films issued a silent version (as they did with just about all the L&H talkies) which I see listed on eBay just about every day.

One of the beautiful things about L&H is that they didn't eschew silent comedy in their talkies. I think Buster Keaton would have been more successful in talkies if he had followed L&H's lead.

« Last post by metaldams on May 07, 2024, 08:59:43 PM »
It's interesting that if you search for "Uncivil Warriors", this thread doesn't show up in the results...

Anyway...

I was watching FEET FIRST with Harold Lloyd last night, the first time I had seen the complete feature -- had only seen the climbing scene before. Early in the film, Lloyd does the "Charley, the guy who walks like this" gag. I guess this is where the Stooges got it -- or perhaps someone knows of an earlier instance?

https://youtu.be/RLVNnzzKojg?si=Gdn0mjHnQzRmXquH&t=1100

I’m overdue to rewatch FEET FIRST, but Felix Adler is credited in some type of writing capacity in both films.
General Discussion / FEET FIRST (1930) with Harold LLoyd
« Last post by NoahYoung on May 07, 2024, 05:15:27 PM »
Can't create a new thread in the reviews section, so...
Index doesn't show this being reviewed, but it hasn't been updated in 2 years...
Search doesn't show it has been reviewed either, but the search doesn't seem to acces the reviews board anyway...

Just a mini-review
--------------------------
Saw the complete film for the first time last night -- had only seen the climbing clip in HAROLD LLOYD'S WORLD OF COMEDY complilation film. It was the second Lloyd talkie, and the first to be planned as a talkie.

I was pleasantly surprised -- I didn't expect much before the climbing scene. I laughed out loud quite a few times. What struck me was that it felt like watching a silent film where the sound was secretly recorded. Lots of location footage (especially on the ocean liner), so it didn't feel like a claustrophobic studio-bound static early talkie. A non-Lloyd fan, or a non-old-film fan, probably wouldn't enjoy it, but I certainly did.

The dialogue seemed ad-libbed, though I'm sure it wasn't.  It just seemed very natural and not too studied.

Now I"m not saying this was the funniest picture I ever saw, or better than Lloyd silent classics -- but it was interesting  and not boring (to me). Maybe because my expectations were low.

Oh yea, the biggest surprise was a fart joke -- yes! a fart joke. You have to see (and hear) it to believe it!

https://youtu.be/RLVNnzzKojg?si=PkoJtqta9HvWrpoO&t=3855

« Last post by NoahYoung on May 07, 2024, 04:55:58 PM »
It's interesting that if you search for "Uncivil Warriors", this thread doesn't show up in the results...

Anyway...

I was watching FEET FIRST with Harold Lloyd last night, the first time I had seen the complete feature -- had only seen the climbing scene before. Early in the film, Lloyd does the "Charley, the guy who walks like this" gag. I guess this is where the Stooges got it -- or perhaps someone knows of an earlier instance?

https://youtu.be/RLVNnzzKojg?si=Gdn0mjHnQzRmXquH&t=1100
« Last post by NoahYoung on May 07, 2024, 04:48:05 PM »
It's also one of their handful of talkies that can play well as a silent film. I say this because Blackhawk Films issued a silent version (as they did with just about all the L&H talkies) which I see listed on eBay just about every day.

One of the beautiful things about L&H is that they didn't eschew silent comedy in their talkies. I think Buster Keaton would have been more successful in talkies if he had followed L&H's lead.