Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Recent Posts

I saw this one a lot when I was younger and may have ranked it higher at some point.  I still think it's a classic and I agree that "Swingin' The Alphabet" is the best song they ever did in a short.  Even after so many viewings, I still love it and rank it at #26 overall.
The Three Stooges - Curly Years / Re: Three Little Twirps (1943)
« Last post by Daddy Dewdrop on Today at 09:46:44 AM »
The first half of this one is pure Stooge gold.  While the second half isn't as great, it still adds up to a lot of fun and ranks #27 on my list.
The Three Stooges - Curly Years / Re: Three Sappy People (1939)
« Last post by Daddy Dewdrop on Today at 09:43:09 AM »
We're now in the portion of my Stooge short countdown where each one I consider a classic.  I rank this one at #28 overall.
The Three Stooges - Curly Years / Re: Monkey Businessmen (1946)
« Last post by Daddy Dewdrop on Today at 09:41:06 AM »
Glad to see that most others here enjoy this short as much as I do.  It ranks #29 on my list.
The Three Stooges - Curly Years / Re: Half-Wits Holiday (1947)
« Last post by Daddy Dewdrop on Today at 09:38:01 AM »
Once again it appears that I like this one more than most.  It ranks #30 in my countdown.
For that price and for an incomplete set, is this really worth the upgrade from the complete DVD set most of us already have?  You folks can answer that for yourselves, but I’m leaning towards no.  I’m sure the films will look better, but really, the quality of the shorts I already have I can more than live with.  The extras would have to be out of this world for me to part with that kind of cash.

Yes, I am open to an upgrade, but it would have to be more complete and less costly.  If that never happens - oh well.

Two hundred and thirty US Dollars for a hundred of a hundred and ninety shorts. I'll have to kindly pass. I already own a complete collection of the Stooges on DVD, I'm probably going to refrain from buying a Blu-Ray unless we all the shorts from Woman Haters to Sappy Bull Fighters. And while I'm not the biggest Besser fan, I'd rather spend money buying the whole series on Blu-Ray, rather than get a portion of the shorts. It's just a personal preference. I'd also go nuts if they made a complete collection of all a hundred and ninety shorts, colorized. But, that again, is a personal preference for me. Until then, I'll stick to my complete collection DVD set and Rare Treasures from the Columbia Pictures Vault that a friend of mine at Amtrak got me, when he got a copy for himself, as we're both Stoogies.
Maybe I'm just a cheapskate, but $230 is a lot for all 190 shorts. So you can imagine how I feel about only getting 100 of them for that price.  ;)

Another disappointment is why they even wasted the time with the Curly Joe flicks? Mill Creek already released 4 of them on Blu-ray and in decent quality too.
The Three Stooges - Curly Years / Re: Three Sappy People (1939)
« Last post by Umbday on May 19, 2024, 03:02:58 PM »
Any film where the boys mix it up with polite society automatically raises my rating by a few notches. And so, this one is possibly my favorite of the Jules White-directed shorts — or pretty near. I’m of sufficient vintage that I began collecting the Stooge shorts when they were available on Super 8 film, and Sappy People was one of the earliest ones I bought.

Yes, I’m fairly sure that Ann Doran’s reaction to Curly’s razor was spontaneous. She was legit, and I’ve often gotten the sense that she improvised a lot of her on-set business in Sappy People. Even the timing when she delivers her declaration about the king feels ad-libbed.

Finally, there’s Lorna Gray — who I was fortunate to sort-of rub shoulders with at one of the early conventions of the Buster Keaton Society (the Damfinos), in either 1995 or 96. Her main connection to Keaton was her appearance as leading lady in Pest from the West — the first and probably best of the shorts that Buster made at Columbia. In the more recent years, Lorna was known as Adrian Booth, and she had sort of a grand-dame presence at the convention — where she mostly hung with Eleanor Keaton. I always liked Lorna in Sappy People, and for my tastes she looks particularly smashing in Nazty Spy.
$230 and not even all 190 shorts. That's kind of crazy. Will it at least be all 97 Curly episodes??

Some of the discs show 1950s era Shemp on them, so my guess is who knows.

If the current, vague product description is right, this set will go down as one of the biggest disappointments in some time.