Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Recent Posts

Maybe I'm just a cheapskate, but $230 is a lot for all 190 shorts. So you can imagine how I feel about only getting 100 of them for that price.  ;)

Another disappointment is why they even wasted the time with the Curly Joe flicks? Mill Creek already released 4 of them on Blu-ray and in decent quality too.
The Three Stooges - Curly Years / Re: Three Sappy People (1939)
« Last post by Umbday on Today at 03:02:58 PM »
Any film where the boys mix it up with polite society automatically raises my rating by a few notches. And so, this one is possibly my favorite of the Jules White-directed shorts — or pretty near. I’m of sufficient vintage that I began collecting the Stooge shorts when they were available on Super 8 film, and Sappy People was one of the earliest ones I bought.

Yes, I’m fairly sure that Ann Doran’s reaction to Curly’s razor was spontaneous. She was legit, and I’ve often gotten the sense that she improvised a lot of her on-set business in Sappy People. Even the timing when she delivers her declaration about the king feels ad-libbed.

Finally, there’s Lorna Gray — who I was fortunate to sort-of rub shoulders with at one of the early conventions of the Buster Keaton Society (the Damfinos), in either 1995 or 96. Her main connection to Keaton was her appearance as leading lady in Pest from the West — the first and probably best of the shorts that Buster made at Columbia. In the more recent years, Lorna was known as Adrian Booth, and she had sort of a grand-dame presence at the convention — where she mostly hung with Eleanor Keaton. I always liked Lorna in Sappy People, and for my tastes she looks particularly smashing in Nazty Spy.
$230 and not even all 190 shorts. That's kind of crazy. Will it at least be all 97 Curly episodes??

Some of the discs show 1950s era Shemp on them, so my guess is who knows.

If the current, vague product description is right, this set will go down as one of the biggest disappointments in some time.
The Three Stooges - Curly Years / Re: Three Sappy People (1939)
« Last post by Samurai on May 18, 2024, 07:32:29 PM »
I enjoyed this one as a youngster, and I enjoy it even more as an oldster. The two primary women almost steal the show, but not completely. Curly, is a man(ic) on a mission, at his Ritalin-free best throughout. There are so many memorable moments, but Curly and Ann Doran (as a terrific snobess) have always provided the longest lasting ones. (I've always wondered if Curly shaving Ann's face was in the script... as her reaction of utter surprise seemed very genuine...she even suppressed a smile/laugh).

Anytime the boys have a seat at the grownup table, mayhem shall ensue, and the well-heeled shall devolve.

P.S. Once again, my two Beatrice theory proves correct. If they are both cast, no matter how small the part, the short will be gold!
$230 and not even all 190 shorts. That's kind of crazy. Will it at least be all 97 Curly episodes??
If they are indeed releasing only 100 of the 190 shorts — which sounds like a bone-headed maneuver to me — I’m gonna guess that the missing 90 shorts are going to consist of most of Joe Besser’s, the four Fake Shemp ones, and a lot of the Shemp remakes.  I highly doubt they’d omit any Curly shorts, but if they do, I’ll bet they’re from his post-stroke period.

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Well, there are 97 Curly shorts, so that would leave room for only 3 Shemp shorts...
At a glance, it appears that 12 of the 20 discs are devoted to "shorts," with the remaining 8 discs devoted to "films" — which we can take to mean the DeRita features. So, apparently, not a good sign.
Well, it only took eight years to get an answer to my question!  :laugh:
If they are indeed releasing only 100 of the 190 shorts — which sounds like a bone-headed maneuver to me — I’m gonna guess that the missing 90 shorts are going to consist of most of Joe Besser’s, the four Fake Shemp ones, and a lot of the Shemp remakes.  I highly doubt they’d omit any Curly shorts, but if they do, I’ll bet they’re from his post-stroke period.

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead
At long last, Sony is releasing the Three Stooges shorts on Blu-ray: https://www.amazon.com/The-Three-Stooges-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B0D49XFZ4V

There's some pretty serious questions about this, though. The product description only says 100 shorts, and of course the Stooges made 190 at Columbia. If that's an error or actually how it is remains to be seen.

If it is not an error, which 100 shorts and how were they chosen?

The solo shorts and DeRita-era films are included, including Three Stooges Scrapbook.

And the price tag is a hefty $230 but this could drop during the pre-order process.

It's a "limited edition" set, meaning probably a scalpers delight before too long after it's released.

Release date is July 23.