Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Recent Posts

Laurel and Hardy / Re: Another Fine Mess (1930) - Laurel and Hardy
« Last post by NoahYoung on September 18, 2024, 11:29:54 AM »
It makes sense that during the summer breaks the creative crew would take the opportunity to assess what was working and where improvements could be made.

Yup, that has always been my theory. I find it hard to sit through any Our Gang short from the 1929/30 season. L&H fared much better during that season.

The Our Gang comedies must have required much more work behind the scenes at the Roach Studio than those of L&H for the simple reason that the Our Gang cast was always changing; they had to remain on the lookout for new kids all the time. Plus, they had to arrange and manage schooling at the studio, since the kids could not attend a traditional school. Add to that the fact that the kids usually had zero training as actors/actresses. The latter fact was probably a good thing, and why their performances were so natural.

It was either Tommy Bond or Jerry Tucker who told me the problem with those Little Rascals "remakes" in the 90s was the fact that they were forcing the kids to imitate the real Our Gang characters from the 30s. The Roach studio, namely Robert McGowan, wisely allowed the kids to be themsleves, and their characters evolved. I've never sat thru any of those "remakes", but I do remember that the kid actor they got for Spanky actually looked like Butch! Just take a close look at his face. Suffice it to say that they did not know what they were doing. Plus they forever made it hard to google "The Little Rascals" without getting hits for that darn 1994 movie! (I just did it -- first result!) Same for eBay!

It is pretty amazing how they kept the quality at a very high level from late 1930 until 1938, when Roach sold the whole unit to M-G-M. Equally amazing was the fact that they were able to keep Spanky on-board, unlike Jackie Cooper and Dickie Moore. They did lend out Spanky a few times to other studios, however.
« Last post by NoahYoung on September 18, 2024, 11:25:52 AM »
Although PUPS IS PUPS (1930) was the final film of the 1929/30 season, ...

The Maltin book states that PUPS IS PUPS was the first release of the 1930/31 season.

When I met Dorothy DeBorba, she was quick to point out how much she liked PUPS IS PUPS. I think I or someone else mentioned how DOGS IS DOGS was one of the best, and she said something like, "Don't forget PUPS IS PUPS!"

I have to dig it out, but the autographed photo she signed for me was from PUPS IS PUPS I believe.
The Three Stooges - Shemp Years / Re: The Tooth Will Out (1951)
« Last post by Larrys#1 on September 18, 2024, 08:19:02 AM »
Are we referring to the song that the teeth was singing? If so, then it's "My Lucky Strike".
« Last post by Big Chief Apumtagribonitz on September 17, 2024, 02:44:12 PM »
It's the teeth that start the singing, isn't it?
« Last post by bradleyr436 on September 17, 2024, 02:41:24 PM »
the closed caption says gibberish, but that wouldnt make sense.  in that time people sang songs, they do it other times, it was common.  Its not for us in 2024, the culture is so different.

they had to walk, they rode horseback or wagon and would sing.  they start out Ohhh, how many... ?  which is some obscure song that was common or they made up, but they would not sing gibberish, not possible.  like with the teeth who starts in bom bom bom bom... (all) I made a lucky strike when I found you... bom bom bom

who in 2024 knows that song?  who would start in singing that?

« Last post by Larrys#1 on September 17, 2024, 01:25:02 PM »
I'm no mule because my ears are too short, but I don't think they were singing any specific song there. Sounds like they're just mumbling gibberish. I could be wrong tho.
« Last post by bradleyr436 on September 16, 2024, 07:53:30 PM »
Nobody knows what song they sang after the dental school owner graduates them and says remember what Vernon Dent said? 
Shemp: dont give up the ship?

NO!  he said GO WEST young man!  GO WEST!

Moe: thats a hint, go west
(all) Ohhhhh how many  ?  does it take to ???

what was the song?  Who ever can answer it I will give you a check for $10,000.  !!!

[checks will not be honored]
« Last post by Freddie Sanborn on September 16, 2024, 04:29:27 PM »
It makes sense that during the summer breaks the creative crew would take the opportunity to assess what was working and where improvements could be made. It’s hard to do that under the crush of a heavy production schedule.
The Three Stooges - Shemp Years / Re: A Snitch In Time (1950)
« Last post by Larrys#1 on September 16, 2024, 03:53:38 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this short because I really like the first scene at the furniture shop and the painting the furniture scene, but not so much the ending where they were going after the bad guys. There's just far too many of these in a lot of stooge shorts, and this is not their best one, IMHO. Don't know, but I just found the ending part a bore to sit through.

But let me talk about the stuff I did like. The first scene at the furniture shop.... pure hilarity. Love the part where Moe gets glue in his eye and Shemp tries to hammer it open, and as Moe squeals in pain, Shemp is like, "don't make any noise, you make me nervous!" I don't know, but that line cracks me up every time! And then Shemp tries to saw Moe's arms as a way to set him free when his hands are glued to the board, LOL! This whole furniture shop scene was rather violent, especially the part where Moe gets his nose cut by the electric saw! I don't know if this is something I would want my kids to be watching, lol.

Then comes the painting the furniture scene. This is a copy of the scene from "Tassels In The Air", only I find it better because it's crazier and more chaotic. The proof.... look at Moe! He's an absolute mess at the end! Great scene! Too bad that's the end of the hilarity because it really doesn't get funnier after that.
« Last post by Larrys#1 on September 16, 2024, 03:38:58 PM »
I was watching this one recently on the new Blu-ray release and I forgot how much I enjoyed this one. It's shorts like this that make me wonder if Curly is really better than Shemp because Shemp has me laughing hysterically in this one, moreso than Curly ever did.

Thank goodness they saved the dentist footage for this short when it was unused in Merry Mavericks. That whole scene is priceless!