Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Recent Posts

I can’t help but think of W.C. Fields and how it’s a shame he didn’t live long enough to be on television.  I really bet he would have succeeded. 

Well, he actually did live long enough, but I know what you mean. Without looking up the details, i know from "A Plumbing We Will Go" that people had TV sets as early as 1940, the year after Fields made "You Can't Cheat an Honest Man." I'm not sure how many comedy/variety shows existed before the 50s, though.

I believe the first televised baseball game was in 1939.

Sorta like how the Internet existed long before the masses (The Hoi Polloi!) actually knew about it, and before it was actually commonly called the Internet. I was using email in the mid-80s.
 :D

How many people owned a VCR before the 80s, although I believe you could buy one as early as 1976 (Sony Betamax), and perhaps before that?
Only made it up to this episode?  I last visited the site about a year and a half ago.
I never rewatched all the episodes again myself, either -- just a select few. Too many other things to watch that I've never seen before.
I do remember this being one of the better episodes, though.
It's been awhile since I've been here...

I've discovered some edits in my "unedited" Super 8 sound prints.

In "Three Sappy People",  it is missing the punch bowl gag, and the wooden leg gag. So this only runs about 13 minutes. I've had this print for awhile and only discovered this about a year ago. The reason is I never watch it on DVD since I have the film print. It was only through reading the reviews here that I discovered something was missing.

In "A Bird in the Head," it is missing the scene where Curly and the gorilla drink the alcohol.

Some googling on these titles showed that these scenes were cut when Screen Gems first released them to TV, due to not being able to show the consumption of alcohol. Not sure why the wooden leg scene was cut, other than maybe they thought it would be offensive.

When I was a kid, all the cuts were made to remove the violence, and were usually done by the local stations -- very badly, I might add. Because of the separation of the sound track and the frame of the film being projected, you could still hear the sound effect of Curly being hit on the head, and his reaction to it, though the visual was missing.

Anyway, this is false advertising at it's best, since all the prints weren't "unedited" as it said on the box. I wonder how Sony would react if I compained to them about something that happened 50 years ago? (Though Sony didn't own them at the time.)

(As an aside, I recently discovered that Sony and Columbia collaborated on some vinyl LP releases long before Sony bought Columbia in 1989.)

General Discussion / Re: A Gripe about the Curly-Shemp Wars
« Last post by QuinceHead on April 11, 2024, 04:14:24 PM »
Another point — not eye-poke! — I meant to make yesterday is how the arrival of a new Stooge resulted in a breath of fresh air to routines that had become, well, routine and formulaic.

Shemp coming into the fold brought a new dynamic because he and his comedic shtick were so noticeably different to Curly’s.  (I firmly believe that Curly’s comedic talents were innate, and while he learned his craft onstage in vaudeville, he wasn’t “drawn” to the stage in the same way that Moe and Shemp were.  Shemp spent many years in vaudeville and then in movies honing his gifts before Moe asked him to rejoin the Stooges; what was supposed to be a temporary gig, lasted him the rest of his life.)  Shemp trying to do Curly’s shtick wouldn’t have worked, and likewise Curly never tried to copy Shemp’s mannerisms after he replaced his older brother in vaudeville.

Unfortunately, budget cuts at Columbia meant that less and less original material was filmed for their shorts; sometimes upwards of half a “new” short consisted of recycled footage from one or more previous shorts.  Not only did it feel like you’d already seen these shorts before — you partly had!!  (And the less said about the four “fake Shemp” shorts, the better!)

So Moe having to find a third Third Stooge, at least meant Jules White had to cut back on reusing footage of previous years. And once again, the Third Stooge dynamic was more different than it had been in years, so at least it was another breath of fresh air.

But as we all know, opinion has been (and probably always will be) sharply divided on whether or not Joe Besser was the best choice for the Third Stooge. On paper, he was a great fit, with years of comedic experience and a popular character in the form of spoiled brat Stinky opposite Lou Costello.  In practice, though… Joe’s whiny, fussy man-child (I hate the word “sissy” and refuse to use it, no matter how fitting it is here), along with Besser’s initial reluctance to be on the receiving end of slaps, eye pokes and other indignities, alienated him from many fans.  But there’s no denying that by this point, the Stooges needed a shakeup, and boy, they got it!

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead
« Last post by QuinceHead on April 10, 2024, 11:38:25 AM »
While it’s self-evident that Shemp’s style of Stooging (Stoogery?) is not the same as Curly’s, it’s also true that pre-stroke(s) Curly’s Stoogery is noticeably different than post-stroke(s) Curly’s.  Each has their strengths and weaknesses.  Curly also benefitted from the newness/freshness of the scripts, characterizations and so on; by the time Shemp arrived on the scene, all these factors had long since lost their bloom.

Shemp has a similar “cut-off” point when the Stooges’ shorts budget got slashed by Columbia suits, and “new” shorts from that point onwards had up to 50% recycled footage from old shorts patched into them.

(I’m not sure if it’s 100% true, but I’ve heard/read that Shemp’s mild stroke in 1952 may have also been a factor in so much recycled footage being crammed into the shorts?)
The Three Stooges - Curly Years / Re: Oily to Bed, Oily to Rise (1939)
« Last post by J_Kasumi on April 09, 2024, 10:18:40 PM »
I've recently rewatched this short on the YouTube channel, Three Stooges+. This is coming from someone who has watched it about six or seven times in her life. But, long story short, I adore this short. It's honestly nice to see the Stooges in a decent light. Granted, the opening before they get to Ms. Jenkins is a bit slow, that's not a negative in my personal opinion. Sometimes you need a bit of slowness to build up to a great payoff. I especially love the comedic line of "Hey ,don't look now, but, I think we're about to be killed." I don't know why, but, something about how Curly says it, kills me with laughter. It's also nice to see the boys want to do something good for someone who did right by them, and we get to see them get what they want in the end. Another bit that cracks me up to no end is Moe's face with the destroyed cigar. That facial expression just slays me with a laugh. A great short, in my top 20 list. Pokes: I give it more than ten, about ninety five pokes out of ten. Yes, it's that good, in my personal opinion.
« Last post by J_Kasumi on April 09, 2024, 05:34:45 PM »
I am a member of The Three Stooges Fan Server, Paul. Only Stooge related server I've ever found.
« Last post by Paul Pain on April 09, 2024, 05:01:22 PM »
As someone who has been a Stoogie for far too long, I have never had a problem with either Shemp or Curly. Granted, I'm not the biggest Joe Besser fan. But, that's besides the point. I have always enjoyed Curly a bit more than Shemp, but, that's not to say Shemp stinks. Far from it, he's talented in his own right, and like I said on a Discord server I'm in, he's underrated as a Stooge. Shemp had his fair share of hits and misses, just like Curly. I don't agree with one being better than the other. Each Stooge is unique in their own right. We can have our personal preferences, and that's fine with me. Where I get salty is one says one is better than the other and then insult you for not liking which Stooge they like. We're all human, and we should be able to like who we like, without it devolving into a war about who is better, in my personal opinion.

Is this a Stooge themed Discord server by any chance?
« Last post by J_Kasumi on April 09, 2024, 03:28:37 PM »
As someone who has been a Stoogie for far too long, I have never had a problem with either Shemp or Curly. Granted, I'm not the biggest Joe Besser fan. But, that's besides the point. I have always enjoyed Curly a bit more than Shemp, but, that's not to say Shemp stinks. Far from it, he's talented in his own right, and like I said on a Discord server I'm in, he's underrated as a Stooge. Shemp had his fair share of hits and misses, just like Curly. I don't agree with one being better than the other. Each Stooge is unique in their own right. We can have our personal preferences, and that's fine with me. Where I get salty is one says one is better than the other and then insult you for not liking which Stooge they like. We're all human, and we should be able to like who we like, without it devolving into a war about who is better, in my personal opinion.
« Last post by metaldams on April 09, 2024, 03:16:16 PM »
I’m with you guys.  The older I get, the less interested I am in comparing things and just enjoying things for what they are, be it Stooges, silent comedians, rock musicians, etc.

I literally don’t think I had a thought comparing Curly and Shemp in years, they’re just both ingrained in me by now.