Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Recent Posts

Stooges DVD/VHS/Home Video / Re: Vitagraph Comedies Blu-Ray 4/30/24
« Last post by metaldams on Today at 09:10:54 AM »
OK, so there’s a TON to take in here.  I am only slightly into the second disc at this point.  Here are my early thoughts.

- Most, if not all, of this stuff is indeed more domesticated comedy versus broad Sennett like slapstick.

- The only comedians so far I would label as clowns are Edith Storey and maybe Hughie Mack and John Bunny.  The latter two simply based on what they look like (I.e. overweight) versus any internal gifts.  Edith Storey is delightful and in the case of John Bunny, I’m convinced he was a star because of what he looked like.  In a world with a lot of boxed in medium shots and standard looking generic handsome young leading men and pretty young leading ladies, there’s no doubt Bunny visually stood out.

- Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Drew are by far the best of the domesticated comedians.  They’re believable, likable and funny with well written shorts that make sense.  There appears to be a lot of shorts coming up next on disc two and I’m looking forward to them.

- Frank Daniels on screen character, on the other hand, gives me the creeps. 

- The Montgomery/Rock short I have indeed seen before on The Silent Comedy Watch Party.  Crazy to think it’s the only surviving short in a series of forty plus films.  Probably the most Stooge like film in the collection in terms of pacing and gag construction.  I enjoyed it.

Some stuff better than others and all of it interesting.  I haven’t even gotten to the Larry Semon disc yet and that I know I’ll enjoy.  Hopefully other studio based silent comedy collections from Kino can see release like this if this sells well enough.
General Discussion / Re: Crappiest Cartoon Studio
« Last post by Umbrella Sam on Today at 08:54:17 AM »
« Last post by Umbrella Sam on Today at 08:50:49 AM »
Cambria also did THE NEW 3 STOOGES; Margaret Kerry and Hal Smith did voices for both that and for CLUTCH CARGO. I dunno if Emil ever did voices for THE NEW 3 STOOGES cartoons (at least, any voices that are documented; the database just lists him for live-action roles), but there is a connection there, production company-wise, that I suppose Emil could've...

I remember there was a guy here several years ago who thought that Emil did voices for the Stooges cartoons, and like you mention, Sitka has that Cambria connection, so it’s definitely logical. However, I have yet to find any cartoons where I hear Sitka’s voice and, in the case of THE NEW 3 STOOGES, if they had a voice that they couldn’t have Hal or Margaret do, it’s likely they would have asked one of the Stooges to take a crack at it before Emil, as proven by Moe voicing Orville Wright (and probably Curly Joe as Wilbur) in FLYCYCLE BUILT FOR TWO.

Here’s one of the CLUTCH CARGO cartoons I have Emil down as voicing. To me, the character “Shark” in this cartoon sounds exactly like Emil.

« Last post by GreenCanaries on May 25, 2024, 10:58:44 PM »
Ironically enough, longtime Stooges costar Emil Sitka claimed to have done voices for Clutch Cargo. There’s been some debate on this, but I do recall a few cartoons that had voices that I thought sounded like Sitka. Plus, I find it difficult to believe someone would lie about being associated with Clutch Cargo. If anything I feel the opposite would be true; I wouldn’t think anyone would want to associate themselves with Clutch Cargo.

Cambria also did THE NEW 3 STOOGES; Margaret Kerry and Hal Smith did voices for both that and for CLUTCH CARGO. I dunno if Emil ever did voices for THE NEW 3 STOOGES cartoons (at least, any voices that are documented; the database just lists him for live-action roles), but there is a connection there, production company-wise, that I suppose Emil could've...

[cool]

...came in CLUTCH.

[pie]
General Discussion / Spaceballs: The Moronika Topic
« Last post by J_Kasumi on May 25, 2024, 10:22:52 PM »
Hey, gang. So, I figured I'd create a post to discuss what is one of the best films ever made, and my personal favorite movie of all time. And that's Spaceballs by Mel Brooks. I've legitimately watched this film over a thousand times in my life and it always cracks me up. From the casting of Rick Moranis as Dark Helmet to the late John Candy as Barf. This movie has always cracked me up with laughter. The plot is a great parody on science fiction, in fact, I even love other films by Mel Brooks. Mel Brooks has always cracked me up. Fun fact, Spaceballs was the first picture I ever saw as a kid in 1993. It cracked me up then, and still does. I can't help but laugh every time I watch it. If you get a chance, the movie is on the Wayback Machine. I'd love to see if anyone else here loves the film. Oh, and #maytheschwartzbewithyou!
Youtube and Google Videos / Re: THREE STOOGES SCRAPBOOK
« Last post by falsealarms on May 25, 2024, 08:27:13 AM »
So glad to finally be able to see this after all these years. I must say, I think it’s a shame this didn’t become a full series because even though it’s still limited animation, I actually think this captures the spirit of the original Stooges shorts a lot better than THE NEW THREE STOOGES did. More slapping, more slapstick overall, this actually was very entertaining. Of course, having Mel Blanc do the character voices helps as well.

And even though it was just a few years before the NEW THREE STOOGES, they all seem so much more energetic and livelier here.

Listen around 1:17-1:20 in for a brief piece of music later used in KOOKS TOUR. You can hear that same kind of transition around 3:45 here:
« Last post by Umbrella Sam on May 25, 2024, 07:45:50 AM »
By all means Cambria. Just on Clutch Cargo alone!

Ironically enough, longtime Stooges costar Emil Sitka claimed to have done voices for Clutch Cargo. There’s been some debate on this, but I do recall a few cartoons that had voices that I thought sounded like Sitka. Plus, I find it difficult to believe someone would lie about being associated with Clutch Cargo. If anything I feel the opposite would be true; I wouldn’t think anyone would want to associate themselves with Clutch Cargo.
Youtube and Google Videos / Re: THREE STOOGES SCRAPBOOK
« Last post by Umbrella Sam on May 25, 2024, 07:40:11 AM »
So glad to finally be able to see this after all these years. I must say, I think it’s a shame this didn’t become a full series because even though it’s still limited animation, I actually think this captures the spirit of the original Stooges shorts a lot better than THE NEW THREE STOOGES did. More slapping, more slapstick overall, this actually was very entertaining. Of course, having Mel Blanc do the character voices helps as well.
Youtube and Google Videos / THREE STOOGES SCRAPBOOK
« Last post by falsealarms on May 24, 2024, 11:18:18 PM »
Curly G dropped this rare gem on YouTube Friday night. It has apparently been remastered and restored.

The Three Stooges - Shemp Years / Re: Cuckoo On a Choo Choo (1952)
« Last post by PeteHale on May 24, 2024, 07:05:45 PM »
Funnily enough, your reasons for avoiding alcohol are very similar to mine. In fact they mirror my thoughts perfectly. I can not stand the taste of most alcoholic drinks (champagne is the worst) and the stupidity that many people tend to display when drunk is another major turnoff. Not to mention that it infuriates me when that stupidity puts other people in danger.
Never drank, never will.