Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Recent Posts

General Discussion / Re: A Gripe about the Curly-Shemp Wars
« Last post by metaldams on April 09, 2024, 03:16:16 PM »
I’m with you guys.  The older I get, the less interested I am in comparing things and just enjoying things for what they are, be it Stooges, silent comedians, rock musicians, etc.

I literally don’t think I had a thought comparing Curly and Shemp in years, they’re just both ingrained in me by now.
General Discussion / Re: The New SHEMP BOOK
« Last post by QuinceHead on April 09, 2024, 07:13:43 AM »

There’s another Shemp biography coming out later this year, it looks quite interesting.
Oh?? Do tell! :D

General Discussion / Re: The Pro Wrestling Thread
« Last post by HomokHarcos on April 08, 2024, 10:11:55 AM »
I went to Philadelphia to see my first ever WrestleMania, and I had to go and see this Larry mural in person.
Youtube and Google Videos / New Joe Besser Premiere!
« Last post by middlenamewayne on April 07, 2024, 12:40:51 PM »
Yes, you read right. 93 year old George "Laugh-In" Schlatter has been going through his vaults and as I type this he is premiering 1970's never-aired special "Burlesque is Alive and Well in Burbank" with Joe Besser, Carl Reiner, Goldie Hawn, Henny Young man and others. Check it out: https://youtu.be/_5bLTC6U7lY?si=1Tzhf4vRz3AlwYAH
General Discussion / Re: A Gripe about the Curly-Shemp Wars
« Last post by Dunrobin on April 06, 2024, 09:39:33 AM »
When I was a kid my favorite Stooge was Curly.  Later Shemp became my favorite, then as an adult I found myself appreciating Moe a lot more, and then in middle age I started paying more attention to Larry and realized how important he was to the team.  Eventually, after the DVD set came out, I started liking Joe Besser more, even though the shorts he was in weren't as good as they were in the Stooges heyday (not his fault.)  Likewise, I eventually came to appreciate Joe DeRita for helping the Stooges carry on in the 60s.

So these days I don't really have a "favorite Stooge"; it's the team working together that I love, regardless of which configuration of Stooges it might be.
General Discussion / A Gripe about the Curly-Shemp Wars
« Last post by Paul Pain on April 06, 2024, 08:48:18 AM »
I love seeing that so many people, even younger folks, still love the boys.  Last Saturday, March 30, WOMAN HATERS completed filming 90 years ago, and almost one month from today is the 90th anniversary of the short's release.

It makes me sad, though, to go anywhere on the internet, whether social media or just websites in general, and see a person say they "only like Curly" or "only like Shemp" to the extent that they won't watch shorts with the other one in it.  It's offensive to my sensibilities because...

These people are throwing Moe and Larry under the bus with a vengeance.  If you cannot see that Shemp, in his own way, works with Moe and Larry just as well as their baby brother, then you don't really like The Three Stooges but just like one actor.  Moe and Larry deserve better because they were amazing in their own ways.  Shame on you folks .

Laurel and Hardy / Re: Utopia (1951) - Laurel and Hardy
« Last post by Big Chief Apumtagribonitz on April 04, 2024, 09:04:29 AM »
Babe Hardy was certainly a trouper.  Despite being obviously older and overweight, with the beginnings of heart problems ( at least according to the plot of Stan And Ollie, which strikes me as fairly truthful, even if maybe not chronologically spot-on ) , his performance is strong and gives no hint of ill health.  He's still very much Ollie.
« Last post by Big Chief Apumtagribonitz on April 04, 2024, 08:54:42 AM »
Among the very nice things about Hats Off's new " Fan's Cut " is the new background music by the Beau Hunks.  It was a great concept album to begin with, and has been beautifully edited into the picture.
« Last post by Big Chief Apumtagribonitz on April 04, 2024, 08:42:36 AM »
One of my main problems with this is the dye job on Stan's hair and eyebrows.  Heretofore it had always photographed much lighter, registering as brown even in a black and white film.  In this one it photographs as jet black, and looks as fake as Groucho's dye-job in Skidoo.
General Discussion / Re: The New SHEMP BOOK
« Last post by HomokHarcos on April 01, 2024, 03:04:40 PM »
There’s another Shemp biography coming out later this year, it looks quite interesting.