Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Recent Posts

The Three Stooges - Curly Years / Re: Horses' Collars (1935)
« Last post by Big Chief Apumtagribonitz on February 07, 2024, 07:41:03 PM »
G C, thanks again for the link to Roadhouse Queen.  I watched it tonight. That does indeed look like a rough draft of the Stooges' fist fight in the coat.  And it also looks like Mack Sennett was taking full advantage of pre-code lack of rules.  Pretty funny flick.  And you and I may have set a record for the slowest pace of correspondence on this site.
I'm very late to the party, Paul Pain, but very nice work, and I'm saying that was a lotta work.
General Discussion / Re: The New SHEMP BOOK
« Last post by Umbrella Sam on February 06, 2024, 05:28:23 PM »
I caved in and bought the book. Haven’t started reading yet, but I skimmed through quickly and already found some information that kind of blew my mind. Definitely looking forward to this.
Random Comedy Reviews / Re: Goodness, a Ghost! (1940) - Harry Langdon
« Last post by Big Chief Apumtagribonitz on February 04, 2024, 02:06:08 PM »
And sorry, Metal, your link above didn't come up for me.  As you might guess, I'm no better at the interwebs now than I was pre-covid when this site got so sick of me it stopped running my devastatingly erudite posts.  For whatever reason I appear to be on probation at the moment, though my not being able to pick up the link is ominous.
Random Comedy Reviews / Re: Goodness, a Ghost! (1940) - Harry Langdon
« Last post by Big Chief Apumtagribonitz on February 04, 2024, 01:54:34 PM »
Yeah, he was a wolf in some cartoon or other, IIRC.  Something by Tex Avery, maybe, or Disney.  He was the short guy in the elevator in Blockheads, too,  I think.  At least he voiced him.  He was also the little fella with the beard in The Dentist, though he didn't talk at all in that one.  He was kept busy.
Youtube and Google Videos / Re: Music videos you like - post here.
« Last post by Dr. Mabuse on February 04, 2024, 10:27:50 AM »
Seventeen minutes of brilliance.

Random Comedy Reviews / Re: Half Shot at Sunrise (1930) - Wheeler and Woolsey
« Last post by Umbrella Sam on February 04, 2024, 09:26:33 AM »
Well, compared to the trainwreck that was DIXIANA, this is definitely a major improvement. The plot is better, the casting is better, Wheeler and Woolsey are funnier. That being said, I still don’t think it’s perfect. Actually, when the movie started, I was afraid it was going to have the same pacing problems as DIXIANA because they spent what felt like forever focusing on Wheeler and Woolsey constantly changing their outfits so they could flirt with French women. Thankfully, once they finally get past that, the movie does get better.

I agree with HomokHarcos regarding their decision to make Dorothy Lee’s character 16. Completely unnecessary and it really casts a shadow over that storyline. It’s a shame, because I think this is one of Lee’s better performances. That number that she and Wheeler perform, “Whistling the Blues Away” is great and I like the brief choreography she, Wheeler and Woolsey do before the MPs show up to arrest them. One thing that I think really distinguishes Wheeler and Woolsey from their contemporaries is their focus on song and dance routines. I know not everyone likes them and, sure, I definitely took issue with some of the numbers in THE CUCKOOS and especially DIXIANA, but when they get it right, it really is very entertaining. They’re not using doubles either, it’s clearly them doing the actual dancing.  Compare this to the Abbott and Costello features where they just throw in random song and dance numbers to fill up space; it’s distracting there because we just want to see Abbott and Costello. But with Wheeler and Woolsey, it’s actually a part of their act, so even if they throw in a song-and-dance number without them, like the one with the waiters at the French restaurant, it’s not distracting at all and actually feels like it fits in with what’s been going on.

Speaking of the French restaurant, that’s probably my favorite part. An opportunity for Wheeler and Woolsey to mess with their superior, Bert does some fun visual humor when sliding across the floors, and an opportunity for them to interact with Edna May Oliver. I’ve been re-reading the Watz book entries and was surprised to learn that this was apparently Oliver’s first Hollywood film; don’t know how I missed that the first time.

I also agree regarding the slightly more dramatic battlefield scene with Wheeler and Woolsey. Sure, it does kind of feel like it came out of nowhere, but it is a nice way for them to explore the relationship between the duo and again show off their versatility.

So yeah, definitely a step in the right direction for Wheeler and Woolsey, but there definitely is still some room for improvement. If I recall correctly, the next film is even more of an improvement.
One thing that stands out for me about this film, which I haven't seen mentioned here yet, is this: The poor picture and sound quality of the version that's available (which, apparently, was sourced from an old 8mm copy). The sound is tinny as anything. The colors look faded and washed out; in particular, there doesn't seem to be any actual green (among possible other colors) in the whole thing.
« Last post by umbdae on February 01, 2024, 08:08:44 AM »
I've finished the book and was a little disappointed.  I was hoping for more biographical information and it just wasn't there (or at least, it wasn't there in the quantity I wanted).

One thing I did like  was that the author dismissed the calumny that Shemp was a bed-wetter (what was Moe thinking when he put that smear in his autobiography?)

All in all I'm glad I have the book.  I hope its the first of many more.
« Last post by metaldams on January 31, 2024, 04:50:57 PM »
I’ve maintained my discipline and will guarantee come mid March, I am ordering this book first thing.

In the meantime, has anybody read the book?  Any new revelations or interesting thoughts?