Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

"Hee Haw" - The Anti-Christ of the 3 Stooges?

jrvass · 3 · 1817

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
With the passing of Buck Owens (RIP) there has been the obvious mentioning of his show, Hee Haw.

I can't think of any show more opposite of the Stooges, except "Mass for Shut-ins" (Don't laugh, it's for real http://www.sthugo.org/shutins.htm)

Do they still show Hee Haw? Did anyone besides my uncle ever watch it?

James
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 09:23:52 PM by Pilsner Panther »
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Pilsner Panther

With the passing of Buck Owen (RIP) there has been the obvious mentioning of his show, Hee Haw.

I can't think of any show more opposite of the Stooges, except "Mass for Shut-ins" (Don't laugh, it's for real http://www.sthugo.org/shutins.htm)

Do they still show Hee Haw? Did anyone besides my uncle ever watch it?

James

I suppose Hee-Haw is still being shown in syndication somewhere, probably in the South.

The show wasn't that bad. I'm not much of a C & W fan, except for some of the real old-timers like Jimmie Rodgers (The Singing Brakeman) and Emmett Miller— still, Buck Owens and Roy Clark were really great musicians, in their field. Chet Atkins was another Country player who was a killer guitarist.

I enjoyed watching the show once in a while when I was a wee sprout, but you'd forget the whole thing five minutes later. "Hee-Haw" was corn beyond corn, but it had some good moments at times. The show had a vaudevillian quality, in that if you didn't like what was happening, all you had to do was wait 30 seconds, and there'd be another act on.

Buck Owens lived for years in Bakersfield, California. Ever been there? It's smack in the middle of the state's agricultural area: totally flat country (no, not the music), and it's also brutally hot in central California from about April through October. The buildings all look they're made out of cardboard, spit, and string, and the biggest "landmark" in town is the John Deere tractor dealership... I'm amazed that there was a vital music scene going on in Bakersfield for decades, and whether you like C & W or not, there was.

R.I.P., Buck Owens.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Yes, my parents watched it religiously. And I (the obedient little "sprout") would watch it too. It is exactly as Pils described it. For instance, there'd be a skit where an old man would be in a barber chair and the barber would ask him, "Well, old timer, do want me to give you a shampoo?" To which, the old man would say, "No ... my granpda told me, 'If'n ya want a poo, get a REAL poo." The show would then immediately cut to the I'm a pickin' - and I'm a grinnin' segment where Buck and Roy would never seem to get all the way through the tune Cripple Creek without a LARGE helping of jokes and one-liners. This would go on for the entire show - bit after bit.

It was the C & W version of Rowan & Martin's Laugh In, they even had a bubble-headed blonde in overalls for the Goldie Hawn effect.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.