Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

RIP Gene Pitney

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I know Pilsner will appreciate this thread, if no one else.
Gene was introduced to me by my dreamy-eyed older sister in the mid 1960's by her purchase of one of his albums. I listened to it constantly, as I did with my mother's and brother's records. My fondest memory of Gene Pitney is his tune recorded for the movie starring John Wayne, James Stewart and Lee Marvin The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Rest well, the king of heartbreak/unrequited love/betrayal/infidelity songs.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4878926.stm

[attachment deleted by admin]
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Pilsner Panther

Oh, yeah, Giff, I know who Gene Pitney was. I'm surprised at his relatively young age, as reported; I would have thought he was, maybe ten years older than that.

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" is one of the greatest Westerns ever made, and not just for the theme song. John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and especially Lee Marvin all give fantastic performances. The story (with an O. Henry-like surprise ending), is terrific, too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056217/

The 'young'uns ought'a check this'yer one out. I'm not even a major Western fan, but this picture really makes the grade as a classic. Among John Ford's best, at the very least.

[thumbsup]

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Now that you supplied the link ... I especially remember the performances by the characters "Pompey" (Woody Strode) and Strother Martin (Floyd) ... great stuff. I gotta watch this one again.
Although, I always thought that John Wayne was saying "Pompeii" and NOT "Pompey", but that's just my fevered adolescent memory kicking in.   ::)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.