Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The New Three Stooges

Offline Robbie883

Did the New Three Stooges ever make do a show or perform? Im not talking about the cartoons, Im talking about Derita, Garner, and Mitchell. What is the story on those guys?

Offline Robbie883

I guess nobody knows about this. I disagree that they made that group but Im interested  ;D

Offline kinderscenen

I seem to recall that there were a few dates (depending on which book you read) that either went well (Joe DeRita); would've made better seltzer water "because they fizzled just as fast" (Joe DeRita--later in his life); "I'd even say we were a smash." (Mousie Garner). "The act, unfortunately never clicked..." (Moe Howard).

I've read all of these opinions, and even though it was only 30 years ago, this period of the Stooges is one of the hardest for me to get any information on (solid information, such as press clippings, etc.) Obviously, if the "original" Stooges were booked years in advance, their performances should've been filled by someone, which would require some publicity.

Apparently not. Aside from a story my mother told me (the New New 3 Stooges configuration, with Emil filling in for Larry) that she'd read about in 1975, there's nothing. 

There has to be someone out there who has a newspaper clipping or something from this period. Press releases were issued for their upcoming appearance in Blazing Stewardesses, so I imagine that there's at least one diehard fan somewhere with a picture or 2.

Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I seem to recall that there were a few dates (depending on which book you read) that either went well (Joe DeRita); would've made better seltzer water "because they fizzled just as fast" (Joe DeRita--later in his life); "I'd even say we were a smash." (Mousie Garner). "The act, unfortunately never clicked..." (Moe Howard).

I've read all of these opinions, and even though it was only 30 years ago, this period of the Stooges is one of the hardest for me to get any information on (solid information, such as press clippings, etc.) Obviously, if the "original" Stooges were booked years in advance, their performances should've been filled by someone, which would require some publicity.

Apparently not. Aside from a story my mother told me (the New New 3 Stooges configuration, with Emil filling in for Larry) that she'd read about in 1975, there's nothing. 

There has to be someone out there who has a newspaper clipping or something from this period. Press releases were issued for their upcoming appearance in Blazing Stewardesses, so I imagine that there's at least one diehard fan somewhere with a picture or 2.

"The New 3 Stooges" were Joe DeRita, Mousie Garner and Frank Mitchell (GOOF ON THE ROOF's Bill).  With Moe's permission, they played a few nightclub dates in 1974, but soon disbanded.  Reviews were mixed, although Mousie said audiences loved them.  Regardless, Joe's health was not up to the rigors of touring, and the act disbanded primarily because of that.  There are several pubilicty pics of this team-up, not rare to find.

The Stooges team of Moe, Emil and Joe were not the "new" 3 Stooges.  If the '72 or '75 film projects had come together, they would be billed as "The Three Stooges."

The '72 film was set for the Philippines, and fell apart due to the producers' financing issues.

The '75 film, THE JET SET, was a done deal; signed, sealed and delivered in February 1975.  Moe, Joe and Emil signed a contract at the Universal Sheraton, and several oft-published promtional pics of the three were taken in the lobby of that hotel.  One of those pics can be found on pg. 95 of The Three Stooges Scrapbook.  Moe's health deteriorated soon after, and he died in early May.  The Stooges were replaced by the two surviving Ritz Brothers, Harry and Jimmy, and the film was released as BLAZING STEWARDESSES (1975). *

* btw -  DVD release date 1/25/05, Ventura Entertainment

Pilsner Panther

I've never seen any of the publicity pictures of "The New Three Stooges," but I'm guessing that Frank took the "Moe" part and Mousie took the "Larry" part. Am I right, Brent?

If you have any of the pics that you could scan and post here, I'd be interested in seeing them. The whole thing sounds like it wasn't such a great idea, even if it had Moe's blessing.

:-\

Offline Robbie883

Yeah thanks for the information. Everytime i look around for the New Three Stooges I get info on the cartoons.

Offline kinderscenen

D'oh! Why, oh why did I say "New New Three Stooges?" (Stupid memorizing of books! Be less stupid!)

Anyhoo, there's a picture in the Stoogephile Trivia Book of the DeRita, etc. configuration, as well as in the latest Forrester book.  On the one hand, it's kind of cool to think that there was a chance of the real Stooges (Howard, Sitka, and DeRita) performing in "recent" time, but when I took a look at that publicity photo that was taken in the lobby of that hotel (after they signed the contract to appear in Blazing Stewardesses, I think), I realize that if I thought they looked a bit tired in Kook's Tour, then they looked absolutely worn out 5 years later.

But to (finally) answer the question, as Mousie recalled, Frank was the Moe type, Mousie=Larry, and, well, Curly-Joe was, uh, the patsy. I think he mentioned that there was more of a musical edge to the performances, without the slapping, etc., that the original Stooges were known for.

Offline Robbie883

Pilsner Panther

They look so.....OLD

And Curly Joe looks extremely overweight. It's not surprising that he was in such poor health that he couldn't go on tour with the act.

Offline kinderscenen

I found it sort of odd that in the space of about 4-5 years, Joe went from surprisingly active (Kook's Tour) to run-down. Granted, everybody was run down in Kook's Tour, but there were still a few surprises. (Larry's tumbling with Moose, for instance).

I'm guessing that it was just a different time--funny how someone 65 seemed positively ancient then, but not so much now. (It was only 30 years ago!)

Sunday

Offline doughhead

Is it true that Moe wanted Mousie Garner to replace Shemp? Seems I read it in "The Sooge Chronicles". Soundedlike he would've been great! :-X

Offline skeit

Just wondering if anyone saved a copy of this picture.  It's been pulled from Ebay and I'd love to see it.  Great site by the way. 

skeit