Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Early Stooges Stuff, can it be found?

leandar · 41 · 12886

Offline leandar

Hi.  What I refer to is the pre-Columbia material that the Stooges did with Ted Healy.  The movies from the late 20's to early 30's.  I remember hearing on the Stooges A&E Biography about one movie that the Stooges did with Healy that also featured Laurel and Hardy.  Does anyone know anything about this movie and is it available in any form?  I'd LOVE to see the Stooges and Laurel and Hardy onscreen at the same time!!!

Offline 123cagney

Probably Hollywood Party. This film is more a collaboration of scenes from both teams. They don't appear physically together at any time. You also have to be abel to stomach lots of Jimmy Durante.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
... the pre-Columbia material that the Stooges did with Ted Healy.  The movies from the late 20's to early 30's. 

On the left side of the screen:
 - Click on "Filmography" for a list of all the films you're looking for
 - Click on "Videography" for home video listings, and availability (via amazon.com)

Offline Baggie

I'd love to get hold of 'Soup to Nuts.' Has 'Hello Pop' ever been released either? Does anyone own either of these?
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I'd love to get hold of 'Soup to Nuts.' Has 'Hello Pop' ever been released either?

Fox has not released SOUP TO NUTS (1930) to home video, but was shown on cable's AMC many times from 1996 - 2001.  As a result, it's in many Stooge collectors' libraries.

HELLO POP! (1933) is one of many MGM films that were presumed either lost in some nitrate storage fires back in the 1970s, or in a group of unlabeled films that were found completely decomposed.  No copy or print is known to exist anywhere. *

* Along with Moe & Curly's JAILBIRDS OF PARADISE (1934) and Ted Healy's STOP, SADIE, STOP (1933).

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Another Ted Healy era film to look for is MEET THE BARON, from 1933.  It starred Jack Perl and Jimmy Durante, with Edna May Oliver and Zazu Pitts.  Healy and the Stooges play janitors at a girls' college, and they steal every scene that they're in!  It also includes a rather risque shower scene that becomes hysterical when the Stooges show up to "fix" the plumbing.   ;D

Offline Robbie883

Yeah, I agree that Meet the Baron is a good one. My favorite part is when there working on that pipe and there blindfolded, and Healy keeps hitting hitting curly in the head and Larry gave him a stuffed animal. LOL  :D

Offline shempheadbat

I have about three copies of "Soup to Nuts", all unlabelled and 'somewhere' in the forbidding box of videos I must go through and catalogue before DVD kills the radio star, as it were... I'd be happy to oblige you by 'lending' you one if I can find it (which you can keep, if you promise not to return it ;)  ) just email me or pm me, i'll see what I can do.  It is one of my favourites, very weird and manic, and as I'm a fan of Rube Goldberg this is a treasure that must be shared...  "Hollywood Party" is great, I kinda like Durante on his own (we shall never speak of the teamings with Buster Keaton, though; what a TERRIBLE idea, and a death blow to Keaton's career...)

Offline Baggie

I wouldn't mind a copy, where the hell did you get it from?? Where can I get hold of Dancing Lady, or Meet The Baron?

Offline metaldams

It's been awhile since I've seen it, but SOUP TO NUTS was strangely fun.  Those burglar catching machines were out of this world and The Stooges were fun in every scene they were in.  As a terrible dancer myself, I feel more secure knowing even I can do Larry's "elevator dance."

Only saw clips of MEET THE BARON and it looks fun.

As for Durante ruining Keaton's career, I think those films, and Keaton's other talkies, were his most commercially successful, if you can believe that (and THE GENERAL bombed)!  I think Keaton was MGM's 9th highest grossing star in 1932.  Keaton's alcoholism and his ability to piss off Louis B. Mayer is what did Keaton's career in.  Commercially successful as they were, Keaton's talking features are truly dreadful affairs today. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shempheadbat

Yah, he was pretty hung-over looking in those Durante flicks, he just looked lost... I guess it's mostly hindsight and the benefit(?) of too many documentaries that make me associate Durante wih the downfall of Buster (amazing about 'The General', but I guess at the time it was just another movie and judged against whatever was popular...) BTW, my copies of "Soup" are just taped off of AMC, from a couple of years ago.  At the time, they also showed "Roast Beef in Movies", a color short with Curly that is also really weird, the stooges are Healy's 'babies' and want a bedtime story... I think that's Healy's real girlfriend in there with him chewin' up the scenery, too.   (I was once in a band called "Rube Goldberg Machine", odd songs with no specific style; sounded like if The Beatles beat up King Crimson while Willie Nelson jammed with Mingus and Sonic Youth, sorta... many audiences did the 'elevator dance'!)

Offline Baggie

Yeh I'm interested in getting 'Soup To Nuts.' I think the colour short you are refering to is 'Nertsery Rhymes' rather than 'Roast Beef And Movies,' which was a black and white Jerry Howard solo short(and one rather poop short, in my estimate). I really like 'Nertsery Rhymes,' but I have a black and white version, not that two-strip technicolor crappy version. All those browny-orange colours screw my eyes.

Offline Baggie

And yes, the fairy wearing that rather fetching (not) sequinned all-in-one typa garment in that short is Healy's girlfriend, Bonnie Bonnell, and she's in some, if not all of the other Healy/stooge shorts. Watch out for her rather crazy dancing in 'Beer And Pretzels.'
 Does anyone know if she's the one that shot Ted in the hand or was it one of his wives? (or another anonymous lover?)

Offline metaldams

Shempheadbat, in case you're not aware, there is going to be a new Keaton DVD set with THE CAMERAMAN, SPITE MARRIAGE, and FREE AND EASY coming out 12/7.  Also included is a new Kevin Brownlow documentary that deals exclusively with the MGM years!  That should be VERY interesting.  By the way, TCM will be airing all of this stuff on the same night.
- Doug Sarnecky

Pilsner Panther

That's excellent news... I'll buy the package just for the first two films. "The Cameraman" and "Spite Marriage" are the final two of Buster's great silent features, and the last films he had real creative control over.

The sound films he made for MGM— well, they have their moments, but not all that many. The dumbest thing they did was to put together the artificial "team" of Keaton and Durante, which didn't make any sense, and the pictures do stink.

On paper, it probably looked good: a guy who never speaks, and a guy who can't shut up (sort of like Harpo and Groucho). But the pictures don't work at all, and Buster is clearly drunk in a lot of the scenes. MGM would have made a better choice if they'd paired Buster with Cliff Edwards— since they wanted to make him half of a team— and Buster and Cliff had a natural chemistry together (unlike Buster and Jimmy).

Still, I can't help but wonder if Keaton would still have done well in his later career if he'd had to accept equal billing with anyone. He knew what kind of talent he had, and after he left Fatty Arbuckle's film company, basically everyone else who appeared in his films played second banana (especially the leading ladies, who often get thrown around like sacks of bananas... or potatoes).

Buster just wasn't born to be a co-star, that's all.

:-[

Offline stoogette

I would really love to see Meet The Baron. Does anyone have any idea where I could find it? I've been looking on Ebay with no luck :'(

Curley91

KEEP CHECKING EBAY!

I have already seen "Meet The Baron" on a videotape there. It seems to come up quite often. I also saw "The Captian Hates The Sea", but this only came up once. Has "The MGM 3 stooges festival" been released on video or dvd? 4 of their 5 shorts have been released on "The Early Years", but "Hello, Pop" has not been. Did MGM put it on their stooges' festival before its' print was discarded?
   I know for a fact that "Dancing Lady" and "The Hollywood Party" have been released on video. I am not sure about the others. I recently taped "Turn back the clock" on TCM.

Offline FineBari3

KEEP CHECKING EBAY!

I have already seen "Meet The Baron" on a videotape there. It seems to come up quite often. I also saw "The Captian Hates The Sea", but this only came up once. Has "The MGM 3 stooges festival" been released on video or dvd? 4 of their 5 shorts have been released on "The Early Years", but "Hello, Pop" has not been. Did MGM put it on their stooges' festival before its' print was discarded?
   I know for a fact that "Dancing Lady" and "The Hollywood Party" have been released on video. I am not sure about the others. I recently taped "Turn back the clock" on TCM.

I believe "Hello, Pop" is a 'lost film'.  That is, it does not exist anymore.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Curley91

Has "The MGM three stooges festival" been released on video? I have been looking on amazon.com and ebay, but I haven't had any luck finding it so far.

Offline Sr. Peedro Alvarez

I recently purchased a copy of 'Soup to Nuts' on DVD at Circuit City for $6.99. Interesting that Moe's name was 'Harry Howard' in the film's credits.
Glad To Meet Me.

Offline pianolady

I have a videotape of early Stooges, some of it in color, with Healy, but no Laurel and Hardy.  The Internet Movie Database might help, at least, identify the movie.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The Internet Movie Database might help, at least, identify the movie.

This website's "Filmography" (see banner link at top of each page) can help you identify virtually any film work by the Stooges, including solo credits.  It's more inclusive than imdb.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

This website's "Videography" page lists the known, official, video releases.  The "Videography" link is in the "Stooge Info" header on the above banner.

MEET THE BARON (1933) videos on eBay are bootlegs, copied from 1990s presentations on TNT and TCM.  It has not been released it on home video.

Many of the Stooges' scenes from MEET THE BARON are included on the 1990 home video retrospective THE LOST STOOGES.  Long out-of-print from Turner Home Entertainment, VHS copies are still found from Amazon.com and other online sellers; an Amazon.com purchase link is in TLS' "Videography" entry.

THE CAPTAIN HATES THE SEA (1934) videos on eBay are bootlegs, copied from private 16mm prints.  Columbia has never released it on home video.

No print of HELLO POP (1933) has been found.  All evidence suggests that the negative was destroyed in a series of nitrate storage vault fires that MGM suffered in the 1960s and 1970s; no surviving 35 or 16mm prints have turned up in the past several decades.  So unfortunately, it was not in the theatrical compilation that MGM briefly distributed in 1982.  The compilation was simply the four surviving Healy shorts run back-to-back, packaged/distributed under the name MGM THREE STOOGES FESTIVAL.

The 4 Healy shorts and ROAST-BEEF are safely housed in Warner Brothers' vaults. Official home video releases (*) are clips on the aforementioned THE LOST STOOGES, and two early 1990s Laser Disc collections from Turner Entertainment (released thru MGM/UA Home Video), "Cavalcade of MGM Shorts."  I'm optimistic that one or more will eventually turn up as bonus features on future Warner Brothers DVD collections.

* Several public domain collections have included the surviving Healy shorts; these are bootlegs.  Warner Brothers has current copyrights on all of them, and has litigated pd distributors over the past couple years. 

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
* Several public domain collections have included the surviving Healy shorts; these are bootlegs.  Warner Brothers has current copyrights on all of them, and has litigated pd distributors over the past couple years. 

Boy, if that doesn't demonstrate the insanity of the modern "copyright" system.  Those shorts were made over 70 years ago; they should all be in the public domain by now.  Hollywood's corrupt association with Rome-on-the-Potomac has essentially detroyed the very concept of public domain.  Thanks again, Congress.  >:(

Curley91

A couple weeks ago, I found "The Stooges Lost Episodes" at the library. It said that "The Hollywood Party" was edited. Exactly what in the world was edited out? Is it in its' entirety on the video it was released on?
        And what was edited out of "Movie Maniacs"? I don't find anything objectionable in it.