Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Are you tone deaf? Do you know music?

Offline Shemoeley Fine

This is a real deal study from the UK, as a musician I did very well but you don't have to be a musician. I have sent this out to my non-musican friends who have loved the exam.

Visit  http://www.delosis.com/listening   of course,  you need to have speakers
it's fun,  enjoy and as far as scores go..... I'll show you mine if you show me yours

S F
Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Okay, Shemoeley ... I'm showing you mine. I scored 24 out of 30. (and this was after two bottles of Boones Farm Strawberry Hill).
Beat dat, duuuude!!
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Giff wrote <<< I scored 24 out of 30. (and this was after two bottles of Boones Farm Strawberry Hill). >>>

Wow, what a blast from the past-Boones Farm wine, dang! I consumed gallons of the stuff in the early 70's when it was a fixture for us heads, shoot I even used to pour some in my water pipe to smooth the toking of some canibas or hashish however it was apple flavored, I recall there was one other flavor but I didn't realize they have Strawberry flavor now, I shouldn't be surprised though, we live in different times than back in the 70's.  Makes me wanna go buy a bottle just for old time's sake.

Oh yeah I scored a bit higher than you, 26. I have one partner who scored 30, he showed me the result that he had cut n pasted to prove it, he's a piano player so it was easy for him, 2 other musicians friends I know scored 27 and 25, while my non musician pals scored 21, 24 and 25.

S  F
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline FineBari3

Giff wrote <<< I scored 24 out of 30. (and this was after two bottles of Boones Farm Strawberry Hill). >>>

Wow, what a blast from the past-Boones Farm wine, dang! I consumed gallons of the stuff in the early 70's when it was a fixture for us heads, shoot I even used to pour some in my water pipe to smooth the toking of some canibas or hashish however it was apple flavored
S  F

I want to party with you, dude!  I have not taken the test yet, but am anxious to know where I score. I have studied and played since I was 8. Watch me get the lowest score now! Pils, are you going to take the test?
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Fine Bari <<< I want to party with you, dude! >>>>

I'm a shadow of my party self nowadays, I would dissapoint you m'dear. Although I am not a complete dud, I can have a few tokes and 2 drinks and then I'd be done. I am in my mid-50's now so my best party days are behind me.  The late 60's to mid-70's are not only my glory days but from an independent perspective, I and most investigators rank that time frame along with the "jazz age" aka "roaring 20's" as the best of the 20th century. Times were prosperous, people loved to party, music was fabulous, attitudes were open and free, people were very sharing with their loving and other factors. Plus all you had to do was stick out your thumb and you could get a ride to just about anywhere without fear.

I wouldn't change the "make love, not war" sexual revolution, you do your thing-I'll do my thing era for any other, the 70's were actually a short-lived decade because in the mid-70's disco took over, then came the  B G's and Travolta to destroy everything  and create the lowest point of popular US music and culture. The 60's also lasted half a decade as the culture we call the "60's" didn't begin until the mid-60's, the early 60's was a continuation of the white bred 1950's although the music of that epoch was very good be it RnB, jazz, Latin or the burgeoning rock & roll movement.

I would like to "party" with you in Pittsboigh tho', if when we got the munchies you'd take me to Primatti's? late at night for their famous sandwiches where they slap the fries and the slaw in the sammich then wash it down with an Iron City beer. A final Q for ya, is Bari a reference that you are a baritone singer or player of the bari sax? (It's the musician in me asking)

S F

PS Anyone besides me have the following bumper sticker?, "gas, grass or ass, no one rides for free"  :>)
Have a nice day!

Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Pilsner Panther

I have to disagree with Shemoeley here, 60's rock is just about my least favorite kind of music (except for rap), with a few exceptions like Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, some of Led Zeppelin, and some of the Beatles. Otherwise, you can put all those old licorice pizzas on a barge and sink them in the Marianas Trench, it would do the world some good.

It's hard to believe that people listened to some of that amateurish garbage, like the Doors, the Stones, and Neil Young, for example, much less that the latter two are still around and are still popular. I have absolute pitch, so hearing Young "sing" makes me wince in pain.

That "music" is proof that at the time, much of the audience was so brain-fried on chemical substances that they didn't know or care what they were listening to, as long as it was loud!

"No one ever went broke underestimating the good taste of the American public."

—H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Oh, and I couldn't take that test; for some reason, the sound clips wouldn't play on my PC. Might be my popup blocker being too efficient...

???

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Pils wrote <<<I  have to disagree with Shemoeley here, 60's rock is just about my least favorite kind of music (except for rap), with a few exceptions like Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, some of Led Zeppelin, and some of the Beatles. Otherwise, you can put all those old licorice pizzas on a barge and sink them in the Marianas Trench, it would do the world some good.

It's hard to believe that people listened to some of that amateurish garbage, like the Doors, the Stones, and Neil Young, for example, much less that the latter two are still around and are still popular. I have absolute pitch, so hearing Young "sing" makes me wince in pain. >>>

You misread my post or I didn't express myself properly, most likely a combination of both. I didn't say anything about 60's rock, I said
<<<  The 60's also lasted half a decade as the culture we call the "60's" didn't begin until the mid-60's, the early 60's was a continuation of the white bred 1950's although the music of that epoch was very good be it RnB, jazz, Latin or the burgeoning rock & roll movement
I was a stone cold soul music and funk fan in the late 60's, not much Motown other than Marvin Gaye and the Tempts but the Stax sound of Otis Redding, James Brown, Lady 'Ree, Dyke & The Blazers, Booker T, Bar Kays. Etta James et al  The only 60's rock I heard was Top 40 radio hits when riding in other folks cars.  I did refer to the culture of the late 1960's without mentioning the rock music of the epoch.

S  F

Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Pilsner Panther

Oh, come on, Shemoeley, don't try to wriggle out of having said what you did say. I'll make some allowances for English being your second language, but you can't screw around with an old Copy Editor. We know better.

[thumbsdown]

You're lucky you didn't get a "smite" for such weaseling, but it's St. Paddy's day and I'm in a good mood.

Dog Hambone

Hey, that was a cool test! I got a 26. A couple of my choices I wanted to take back, but it was already too late. They were ones that were not blatantly out of tune, but I thought I heard differences in timing and/or extra (or fewer) notes. Looks like I was in error. I play keyboards (Alesis QS8) & guitar (3 Ovation acoustic/electrics). 

It's very cool to see the names of 2 of my old favorites, Frank Zappa & Captain Beefheart. I especially liked early Zappa (I was looking around the internet for the very first one, Freak Out, but couldn't find it. I'll keep looking). There isn't any Beefheart that I don't like, although my favorites are "Trout Mask Replica" & "Lick My Decals Off, Baby", from his dadaist period.

"She stuck out her tongue and the fun begun" 

Offline FineBari3

Fine Bari <<< I want to party with you, dude! >>>>

I would like to "party" with you in Pittsboigh tho', if when we got the munchies you'd take me to Primatti's? late at night for their famous sandwiches where they slap the fries and the slaw in the sammich then wash it down with an Iron City beer. A final Q for ya, is Bari a reference that you are a baritone singer or player of the bari sax? (It's the musician in me asking)

S F

I think I have just been publicly propositioned!  Ewww....Iron City???!!! Yuk. My beer of choice is Pottsville, Pa's Yuengling! (BTW, I have a cool picture of me to put here, but I cant figure out how to put it in the message....I found the 'insert image' above, but I dont know what to do next!)

The Bari stands for baritone bugle. I march in a drum and bugle corps and used to march with corps in Pittsburgh, Rochester, and Syracuse. I really am a classically trained percussionist (a drummer that can read music), and used to march in the snare line of a few drum corps. I had some problems with my knee and wound up learning the baritone.

Funny, up in Rochester, where Genesee is made, they dont drink their local beer either!

The Fine part of my screename and email is becaused my married name used to be Fine (no relation to the Frizzy Haired One). I can still use it, because of the double meaning of Fine, and because it would be a pain in the ass to change my email address too.
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline FineBari3

I have absolute pitch, so hearing Young "sing" makes me wince in pain.

Oh, and I couldn't take that test; for some reason, the sound clips wouldn't play on my PC. Might be my popup blocker being too efficient...

Oh no? Is that the same as perfect pitch??? I have met many drummers that have perfect pitch (what a waste!!!). My good friend Larry has perfect pitch too, and it is terrible to go to drum corps or any musical performance because he's always going "OOO...sharp!"..."Eww! Flat!". It gets on my nerves!

I couldnt take the test either. I could play the test tune, but when it came time for the first pair of tunes, they would not play. NUTS! I wanted to take this test!
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline JazzBill

I got a 25.... I'm surprised I got that many. After a couple years in the service(artillery),and all the years of loud music, loud Harley's and loud trucks , I'm amazed that I can hear anything at all. But according to my wife,I can't hear anything.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".