Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Sony "Buster Keaton Collection" - Anyone Have it?

Offline metaldams

Recently received a copy of the Sony BUSTER KEATON COLLECTION, and these are the first non-Three Stooges Columbia shorts to my knowledge to receive a mainstream release.  A few of the shorts are extremely good and a few are on the bad side, but I do not agree with the general concensus (even by Keaton himself), that Keaton's Columbia output were his weakest starring vehicles.  We don't have to put up with the lame subplots of the MGM talkie features, and at least the slapstick, while sometimes not as graceful as we expect from Keaton (especially HIS EX MARKS THE SPOT), is at least fast moving.  Unfortunately, I think the extremely low reputation of these films is due to the fact Jules White himself is kind of looked down upon as a hack by a lot of so-called experts of film comedy.  Sure Keaton's best work by far is his silent output where he had almost complete control, but I think these Columbia shorts should entertain most old-school comedy fans...especially Three Stooges fans.  My favorites are PEST FROM THE WEST and PARDON MY BERTH MARKS.

Of interest to Stooge fans is MOOCHING THROUGH GEORGIA, which is the original filming of the UNCIVIL WARBIRDS script.  Same story, lots of the same gags, looks to be the same sets, and heck, Cy Schindell even has the same role as a Union soldier.  A lot of the supporting players we all love, like Vernon Dent and Bud Jamison, have great moments in these shorts films and we get to see a lot more of Dorothy Appleby than we see with the Stooges, and I think she made a fine comedienne who would've been real interesting in screwball type comedies.  Does anybody else have this set yet?  If so, what do you think? 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline 3Stooges

I have it. This set gets my "Thumbs Up" stamp of approval.  Sony did a great job with this. I'm surprised that they put bonus commentary and a documentary. I never saw any of these before, so it was a real treat to watch them. I enjoyed watching all of them... Even the weaker ones have a couple gags in them that make it worth while. Every film made me laugh at least once. I was expecting these films to be clunkers, but they're not. The co-stars were excellent as always and bring a lot to these films. I was glad to see Dorothy Appleby play a major role in these. She adds a lot of spunk. I also liked Elsie Ames. I never saw her in anything before. I was impressed that she did a lot of her own falls and the physical stuff with Buster. I wonder why she never worked with the Stooges.

Buster's pratfalls are fantastic. No one can fall like him.

Did you notice, when Buster turns on the radio in SHE'S OIL MINE, that it's the same Rumba song from THREE SAPPY PEOPLE? I'm pretty sure it's the exact same recording.

Also, GENERAL NUISANCEIS is the BOOBS IN ARMS location.

In addition to being fun films, I also enjoyed watching them on a "Trivia" level...Looking to see if I recognize the sets, outside locations, the co-stars, background music etc...

This set has definately got me wanting to see more of the Non-Stooge Columbia shorts!

I've never seen most of the Non-Stooges Columbia shorts, but according to the Columbia Shorts book, The Andy Clyde series was the most consistent in terms of being good films. Does Andy have any name recognition that may merit an official release if Buster's does well?

I'm quessing that Shemp's solo Columbia series would probably be the next release in terms of name recognition.

Nojaa

I believe Kino On Video has also put out a Buster Keaton collection, but I haven't seen it yet.  I'd be interested to learn others' view on that if they have purchased it.

I have purchased the separate Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy collections on Kino and they are very good so far, still going through them.

Nojaa.

Offline JazzBill

Wow... I didn't know anything about those Keaton shorts, with all them Stooge role and bit players in them. Thats just great, now after I find the DVDs, I'll be able to watch some of my favorite old-time actors in new material. What a great find !
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline 3Stooges

JazzBill,

You can get the Buster Keaton DVD's on AMAZON.com and while you're at it, you should get the new Larry Fine book ONE FINE STOOGE also. This way you'll be over the $25 threshold and you can get free shipping.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
GENERAL NUISANCES is the BOOBS IN ARMS location.
I also enjoyed watching them on a "Trivia" level...Looking to see if I recognize the sets, outside locations...

The Columbia Ranch backlot on Hollywood Way in Burbank.  Columbia bought that lot in 1936, and it was in constant use for Columbia's shorts, features and television productions for decades.  Those particular buildings from BOOBS IN ARMS and GENERAL NUISANCE were profiled in one of Jim Pauley's Three Stooges Journal location articles, # 113 Spring 2005 issue, http://threestooges.net/journal.php?action=view&id=113.

Warner Bros. now owns that lot, the "Warner Ranch," and right up to today you can find bits and pieces of Stooge film locations showing up on network TV.  The lagoon/pond from SOME MORE OF SAMOA still exists, and is used on INVASION (ABC).  Rarely a week goes by that the park from SO LONG MR. CHUMPS, FUELIN' AROUND, others, isn't seen on some WB production.  One example from this past Sunday night (March 12), the park was used extensively in THE WEST WING; as camera angles changed, you could prominently see the Boston brownstone facades from MUTTS TO YOU, TERMITES OF 1938, and THE OUTLAWS IS COMING.

I've never seen most of the non-Stooges Columbia shorts, but according to the Columbia Shorts book, The Andy Clyde series was the most consistent in terms of being good films. Does Andy have any name recognition that may merit an official release if Buster's does well?

Andy Clyde has name recognition, but not the kind that Sony would likely find marketable.  In addition to his 1935 - 1955 Columbia short subject series, Andy was Hopalong Cassidy's (William Boyd) sidekick in a series of features made at Paramount in the 1940s.

But to baby-boomers he's mostly recognized (more by face, than name) for costarring on the TV series LASSIE (1958 - 1965) and THE REAL McCOYS (1958 - 1964). He's also well-known for one episode of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, as 'Frank Myers' in "Mayberry Goes Bankrupt."

I'm quessing that Shemp's solo Columbia series would probably be the next release in terms of name recognition.

IF sales on the Buster Keaton set incents Sony to consider other non-Three Stooges short subject collections, my guess would be Charley Chase as the most marketable choice.  Kino has a fairly successful single-disc collection of some Chase silent era shorts at Hal Roach Studios, and Milestone has a similar two-disc set planned for the near future.

Harry Langdon also did a handful shorts for Columbia... a Chase/Langdon set is a nice wish list.  Although overshadowed by Keaton, Chaplin and Lloyd, Chase and Langdon are regarded as two of the silent era's great clowns.

A Stooge-solo set would be great for my pov, packaging Columbia solo shorts with Shemp, Besser and DeRita, and capitalizing on The Three Stooges name to promote it.  I doubt if Sony would consider a "Shemp" set by itself; he only had a few starring solos from 1944 - 1946, only playing support in the "Clyde" and "Gloveslingers" series during 1939 - 1940.

The only way Andy Clyde would probably/realistically get DVD treatment is as the star of Shemp solos, e.g., BOOBS IN THE WOODS and MONEY SQUAWKS.  Or, if Sony ever considered a "sampler" set of its other short subject stars... El Brendel, Hugh Herbert, Sterling Holloway, Vera Vague, Gus Schilling & Richard Lane, Harry Langdon, etc.

But all this is wishful thinking and 100% supposition.

Offline metaldams

Another thing that should be mentioned about this Keaton set is that it is formatted in a way all of us Stooge fans wish a Three Stooges set was like.  Informative audio commentaries, all beautiful 35MM prints (I believe), a small documentary, no colorization, and every short of the series.  Now, in Sony's defense, it is more realistic and financially feasible to give supreme treatment to ten short films as opposed to 190, but it would be kind of nice if Sony could at least fall somewhere in the middle with their Stooge DVD's.  They certainly are capable, but unfortunately, with this Keaton set comes an advertisemnt for the current line of Stooge DVD's, meaning don't expect any changes.  In a way, we should be thankful we have anything at all, but still.

I would love to see a Charley Chase and Harry Langdon Columbia DVD myself, as I'm a big fan of both comics.  As far as Andy Clyde goes, I'm only familiar with him from a couple of Mack Sennett silents.  I'd be curious to see ANY Columbia short, but Langdon, Chase, and Shemp would be choices I'd like to see issued first.

Any of you guys interested in the Columbia shorts department in general should really check out THE COLUMBIA COMEDY SHORTS by Ted Okuda and Edward Watz.  I bought it about five years ago and I still use it as a reference. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Pilsner Panther

I just got home from a long (and unwanted) trip and found the Keaton set waiting in my mailbox, since I'd ordered it before I left. It's a pleasant surprise, the packaging and graphic design being much better than I would have expected from Sony, given the way they've treated the Stooges.

I saw a few of these shorts back in the 80's at a Keaton festival in N.Y.C., but I haven't seen them before or since. Buster himself had a low opinion of them (he called them "crummy two-reelers"), but they're not as bad as all that. So far I've only watched "Pardon My Berth Marks" and "Pest From the West," and they're both hilarious, especially the scene in "Pest" where he sings the song "In A Little Spanish Town" and a carefully-timed object bonks him on the head at the end of every phrase!

[pound]

What I notice, too, is how much the Columbia stock players come more to the forefront than they do in the Stooges shorts. The Stooges tend to dominate every scene they're in, and the supporting cast usually comes off as not much more than extras, except for really strong personalities like Vernon Dent and Bud Jamison.

In the Keaton shorts, the actors are much more of an ensemble; Dorothy Appleby emerges as almost a co-star, and she and Buster make a very funny husband-and-wife team. Columbia really could have built a whole series around them, and it would have been great. Dorothy must have been a very small woman, because even Buster towers over her, and he was (I believe) 5'6" or so. Her tiny size makes her feisty attitude even funnier! This comes through in "In The Sweet Pie And Pie" (made during the same time period, 1941), but not so much in her other appearances with the Stooges.

I'll have more comments as I continue to watch these...

;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline metaldams

Elsie Ames and to a lesser extent, Monte Collins really do overpower Keaton in some of these shorts much the same way Jimmy Durante did in some of the MGM features.  It's a shame the studios paired Keaton with these loud comedians because they really clashed with Keaton's more subdued style.  The best Columbia Keaton's, for the most part, are where Keaton works alone or with Dorothy Appleby, who was a perfect onscreen girl for Buster.

- Doug Sarnecky

Jimmie Adams

Wait 'til you see the falling down contest between Buster and Elsie Ames in TAMING OF THE SNOOD.  Maybe there is an embryo of HOCUS POCUS in this also.

Pilsner Panther

Wait 'til you see the falling down contest between Buster and Elsie Ames in TAMING OF THE SNOOD.  Maybe there is an embryo of HOCUS POCUS in this also.

I've watched four of the shorts at this point, and they're much better than their reputation. Sure, Buster didn't see fit to provide much new material ("She's Oil Mine" and "Pest From The West" are shortened remakes of two of his feature films), but just watching him do his stuff is a pleasure, he was such a great physical comic.

The whole group of ten ought to be called, collectively, "He Busts To Conga," because the level of hard slapstick is so extreme. Most Keaton fans seem to think that his genius lies mainly in his silent features, but I've always liked his two-reelers better, because he pulls out all the stops. When he started to make features, Buster toned down the slapstick in order to make his character more believable and less "cartoony," and focus more on plot rather than gags, and so he lost some of his comic edge. That's just one knucklehead's opinion, but I like my physical comedy "straight, no chaser."

When he came to Columbia, it was almost like a return to his days with Fatty Arbuckle, who made some of the most over-the-top slapstick comedies ever. Those films were largely improvised, and I was reminded of that when I read the script for "She's Oil Mine" (which is included with the DVD set). It's not much more than an outline, and the finished film is full of bits and lines that aren't in it. It's also full of last-minute, penciled revisions in several people's handwriting, probably including Buster's.

In an era when every Hollywood film is planned and executed down to the last detail, then audience-previewed and changed so it'l go over better in release, this is really a lost art: just rolling the camera and winging it. It's too bad that filmmakers don't want to take risks like that any more, but there's too much money at stake. Not an improvement over the old days, if you ask me.

Offline JazzBill

I just finished watching the New Sony Keaton DVD, and it was as good as I hoped it would be. I didn't realize that  Keaton was such a great physical comic. His timing and athletic ability were second to none. It was nice to see those Stooge role players in new material and actually playing bigger roles.  The packaging and quality of the DVD was superb. I actually like these shorts better than those lame ass shorts with Joe Besser in them.
I like this DVD so much, that I have included it in my Three Stooges viewing rotation. I recommend  that all Stooge fans get a copy of this , I don't think you will be disappointed....

Offline metaldams

Jazzbill, if you never realized Buster Keaton was such a great physical comic, you need to do one of two things.

1.) See Keaton's silent work for the first time or
2.) Rewatch Keaton's silent work if you've already seen it

Either way, you won't be disappointed.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline octopus_grabus

When I read that Sony was releasing the Columbia Keaton shorts, I was a little stunned to say the least. But I knew I had to have it. Some of the Keatons were shown (along with Andy Clyde) as part of the rotation on WGN Chicago's Three Stooges programs in the late fifties and early sixties; when I was first turned on to "the boys" as a young impressionable chucklehead.

Considering Buster's body of work and that period in his life, I feel most of these Columbia Keatons hold up well. I particularly liked "Pest From The West", "Nothing But Pleasure" and "Pardon My Berth Marks".

Dorothy Appleby is wonderful with Keaton (I too wish she had done more with the Stooges, I like her "smoldering impatience"). I don't find Elsie Ames as annoying as I have read elsewhere, seems IMHO like she is imitating Martha Raye.

Compared to his silents, the Columbia's aren't his finest work; but compared to his low point ("What, No Beer?" comes to mind), they are definitely worthwhile.

Pilsner Panther

I think that a lot of the sour opinions of Keaton's Columbia shorts come from Jim Kline's book "The Complete Films of Buster Keaton." Kline is hyper-critical, pointing out every single flaw in Buster's later two-reelers, without understanding the sheer joy of performing and all the hard work that went into them.

He doesn't appreciate Elsie Ames, for instance, even though Buster himself picked her as a co-star because she was so good at doing pratfalls (just like Daphne Pollard was with Shemp in his solo shorts, and either lady would have made a fine "female Stooge"). Watch Buster give Elsie a Judo throw in "His Ex Marks The Spot," for example— that's done in one single take, without a stunt double for either of them.

By 1939, Mr. Keaton had gone through things that most human beings couldn't have endured without killing themselves. The fact that he "kept on keeping on," and continued to make hilarious films, makes him a real hero in my book. Not just a screen hero.

[thumbsup]

Offline JazzBill

I guess the Buster Keaton Fans dissect his work, the same way we dissect the Stooges work. It sounds as if they don't care for the Jules White falling down, head bonking style of humor. Well, I do like it. If I didn't like falling down, head bonking humor, I wouldn't like the Stooges. I thought Elsie Ames was very good. I wish the Stooges would of used her in a few of their shorts.I think she did a good job of keeping up with Buster Keaton.
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I still think these were very funny shorts.

Pilsner Panther

I guess the Buster Keaton Fans dissect his work, the same way we dissect the Stooges work. It sounds as if they don't care for the Jules White falling down, head bonking style of humor. Well, I do like it. If I didn't like falling down, head bonking humor, I wouldn't like the Stooges. I thought Elsie Ames was very good. I wish the Stooges would of used her in a few of their shorts.I think she did a good job of keeping up with Buster Keaton.
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I still think these were very funny shorts.

Oh, yeah, you're spot-on here, JazzBill. There's definitely a contingent of Keaton fans who like his silent features, and not much else. What they seem to forget is that Buster was doing roughhouse slapstick from, literally, when he was old enough to walk (and be thrown around the vaudeville stage by his father, Joe). As a kid, he was billed as "The Human Mop," and several times, the authorities examined him for signs of child abuse. There wasn't a bruise or a mark on him, though, because he already knew how to take falls like a pro.

After the family act broke up, he went into films thanks to Fatty Arbuckle, who knew star material when he saw it. The Arbuckle two-reelers were every bit as rough-and-tumble as the Stooges, and years before. So the Columbia shorts are really much more in the Keaton slapstick tradition than the somewhat calmer features, some of which tend to drag, if you ask me (like the too-long train ride sequence in "Our Hospitality").

So, to each their own— but to me, these ten shorts are some real buried treasure. Maybe if the set sells well enough, someone will release Buster's Educational Pictures shorts (made just before the Columbias), on DVD. Right now, only two of them are available, as part of a grab-bag package called "Keaton Plus," from Kino.

Offline metaldams

I like some of these Columbia shorts and do think they are underrated, but make no mistake about it, Keaton's best work is his silent material.  Unlike Pilsner, I do care for the story combined with gags oriented features, always capped off with a breathtaking climax.  Frankly, I need the more subtle humor of the non-Sennett oriented silent clowns to balance with my love of The Three Stooges and other more knockabout comedians.  If I catch myself watching one style too much, I tend to find relief in the other.

Jazzbill, I definitely suggest you buy the OUR HOSPITALITY/SHERLOCK, JR. double feature DVD as a good silent Keaton primer.  Actually, rent it if you can, because you'll probably want to then buy the entire ART OF BUSTER KEATON box set after viewing it (a must for any comedy collection, and I'm not kidding), which includes the aforementioned DVD.  SHERLOCK, JR. was my introduction to Keaton, so if that's good enough for me, it's good enough for anybody.  Watch that film first, and enjoy.  Keaton's style is nothing like The Three Stooges, but it's excellent all the same.  Still, watch enough films and you will find routines that The Three Stooges later used.

Oh, and don't watch the MGM talking features until you've seen all the silents.  Just trust me on this one.
- Doug Sarnecky

Pilsner Panther

Metaldams sez: "Oh, and don't watch the MGM talking features until you've seen all the silents. Just trust me on this one."

Or, just don't watch the MGM talking features, period. They're basically the equivalent of the Stooges during the Besser years. You come to hate seeing the total waste of talent, like in "Parlor, Bedroom, and Bath," where MGM had one of the greatest physical comedians who ever lived under contract, and they kept him flat on his back in bed for half the film!

Morons...  [yuck]