Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Did Shemp create his "Eeep, Eeep, Eeep" for the Stooges or did he do it before??

Offline 3Stooges

Does anyone know if Shemp was doing his catch phrase prior to joining The Stooges or was it something he created for his Stooge character?

Offline Bruckman

• Musclehead, juice addict, synthol abuser, and Booby Dupe
  • Birdbrain
You'll have to qualify "before" with a specific time period. I assume you mean "before he rejoined the Stooges in 1946" after Curly couldn't continue. Shemp does do his signature sound in some of his Columbia shorts prior to rejoining the Stooges (e.g. A HIT WITH A MISS). He doesn't do it in SOUP TO NUTS, the only film he made w/Moe and Larry before leaving the act. But that's hardly evidence he might not have used the expression on stage during his tenure with Ted Healy. It's unverifiable anyways.

Even though Shemp does emit the occasional "eeb" (that's how I've always transcribed the sound he makes, and I ain't changing it now after 30 years) pre-1946, he doesn't really bring the expression to its full fruition until he rejoined Moe and Larry.
"If it wasn't for fear i wouldn't get out of bed in the morning" - Forrest Griffin

Offline Bangsmith

• Citizen of Greater Stoogedom
  • Chucklehead
Bruckman is right. Shemp did the "eebeebeeb" sound in two solo shorts that I know of. One is "A Hit ith A Miss", and the other was around the same time(I don't remember the title), just before he rejoined the Stooges. It was nowhere as elaborate as when he did it with the Stooges.
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do "suck seed"!!

Offline JazzBill

You'll have to qualify "before" with a specific time period. I assume you mean "before he rejoined the Stooges in 1946" after Curly couldn't continue. Shemp does do his signature sound in some of his Columbia shorts prior to rejoining the Stooges (e.g. A HIT WITH A MISS). He doesn't do it in SOUP TO NUTS, the only film he made w/Moe and Larry before leaving the act. But that's hardly evidence he might not have used the expression on stage during his tenure with Ted Healy. It's unverifiable anyways.

Even though Shemp does emit the occasional "eeb" (that's how I've always transcribed the sound he makes, and I ain't changing it now after 30 years) pre-1946, he doesn't really bring the expression to its full fruition until he rejoined Moe and Larry.
I was Watching a Shemp solo DVD called Trouble Chasers (1945). It is part of the Lost Stooge Trilogy DVD set he did with Billy Gilbert and Maxie Rosenbloom. Towards the end of the movie (49min.30sec) there is a scene when Gilbert is going to sneeze and he's trying to find a handkerchief in his pocket but pulls out a necklace instead. Shemp is sleeping in a bed next to him and you can hear his "eeb-beeb-beeb" snoring in the background.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".