Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

End Of A Communications Era (Aww...)

Guest · 10 · 2394

Pilsner Panther

Where would so many 1920's and 1930's comedy films have been without the sudden, last-minute arrival of a Telegram?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, watch the end of "Disorder In The Court."

Okay, they really weren't sent via parrot.

[stooges]

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 01:15:36 PM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline Bruckman

• Musclehead, juice addict, synthol abuser, and Booby Dupe
  • Birdbrain
Has anyone on this board ever received an honest-to-goodness telegram? I haven't, though I once, in the pre-internet days, sent one. I don't think I've ever seen an actual one outside of movies except for an old one sent during WWII by my father to his parents after his ship was attacked by a U-boat, telling them he was fine. Although I suspect Uncle Sam picked up the tab for this one, Uncle didn't get too extravagant: the whole thing, including Dad's name, comes to four words.

I've always noticed in movies the telegrams appear to be genuine, i.e. there's an actual date, place of origin, etc. if you see one in close-up, and they're printed on standard Western Union forms. Was this an early type of product placement, did Western Union require that real telegrams be used as props? For example, at the end of Laurel and Hardy's ME AND MY PAL, a telegram arrives for Ollie, and after some byplay with the telegram boy (who's crosseyed) and suitable delays, we finally see a closeup of the message. At the top you can plainly see place of origin (Los Angeles, CA) and the date (March 22, 1933, which would've corresponded with the film's shooting dates), even though the message is about a nonexistent Great International Horsecollar Corp. stock Ollie supposedly owns (Ollie's name is spelled out in full, too: Oliver Norvel Hardy). Needless to say, the telegram is read just in time for Ollie to hear that the stock has plunged on the market, bankrupting him....

Here's a telegram story that's true:

The writer Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, at the time she was working on THE YEARLING, received an inquiry from Cosmopolitan magazine (which published real writing in those days) about serializing this new book. Rawlings went down to the nearest Western Union office in her part of rural Florida and sent Cosmo a message back saying she didn't think they'd be interested as the book was about a deer, and conclusing "Sorry stop all characters past menopause."

The Western Union clerk started counting up the words, then slid his spectacles down hos nose and looked at Mrs. Rawlings. "This word here - this menopause."

Damn the Western Union anyway, Mrs. Rawlings thought, I suppose you can't say "menopause" in a telegram.

"This menopause," the clerk said, "is that all one word?"

Verified in Selected Letters of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, ed. Gordon Bigelow, U. of Florida Press, 1983. She enjoyed telling this story on herself many times - Mrs. Rawlings may have written about boys and fawns, but she had a decidedly ribald sense of humor.

If you want to read a really blistering telegram Ernest Hemingway sent off one reprinted in The Only Thing That Counts: The Ernest Hemingway - Maxwell Perkins Correspondence. In it, Hemingway accuses Scribners, his publisher, of charging him with costs that ought to have been shared equally between author and publisher. He compares this to cutting steaks out of a racehorse at less than the going price of horse meat,  then expecting said horse to run, and concludes by saying that in the future, if Scribners planned to cheat him, he ought to be notified because he would just give Scribners the money they demanded and in the end Scribners would have more money as well as friends. It runs nearly a full page and I can only guess how much Western Union charged Hem for this diatribe.
"If it wasn't for fear i wouldn't get out of bed in the morning" - Forrest Griffin

Pilsner Panther

I wouldn't have wanted to be chewed out in print by Hemingway, as I'm sure he was a champion invective-hurler (I'm not so bad myself, in that department).

Anyway, here we go, everything you wanted to know about telegrams:

http://www.retro-gram.com/telegramhistory.html

Western Union wasn't the only kid on the block, they had a fair amount of competition at one time. I knew that RCA was one of them, but I was surprised to find that Marconi ran a telegram service; I always thought of him as strictly a radio guy.

I've never either sent or received a telegram, but I've sent Western Union money orders a couple of times. The Manhattan Western Union office was just south of Times Square, Broadway and 40th St. if I remember right, but it's probably long-gone by now.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 02:26:25 AM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline FineBari3

I remember seeing my Mother's honeymoon scrapbook from when she was first married. I didnt get to see it until I was about 27, because the book was forgotten about.

Anyhow, there were telegrams in it that were sent to my Mom and Dan when they were on their honeymoon in Miami in 1959. Those are the first and only telegrams I have ever seen, but to this pop culture historian, they were way cool!

I was watching a documentary about the 1980 USA Olympic hockey team, and Mike Eruzione mentioned a telegram they got from an old lady in Texas that said: "Beat those Commie bastards!!!".

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Bruckman wrote <<< Has anyone on this board ever received an honest-to-goodness telegram? I haven't, though I once, in the pre-internet days, sent one. I don't think I've ever seen an actual one outside of movies except for an old one sent during WWII by my father to his parents after his ship was attacked by a U-boat, telling them he was fine. >>>

I am in my mid-50's so yes to both, I have rec'd and sent authentic Western Union telegrams. In Cuba to this day, there are telegraph/telegram desks in most post offices. They are used quite a lot within the island as Cuba's national phone service is antiquated and severly in disrepair because of the US' blockade on Cuba which prohibits the upgrade and repair of the national phone service due to equipment not being able to enter the country.  It is easier to call anywhere around the world from Cuba then within Cuba.  When my auntie died my mother who lives in Miami, where else?, rec'd a telegram last year. She responded with a telegram sent by calling Western Union. My mom has several 1940's and '50's telegrams with important family information she has kept as momentos.

In the mid 1970's I used to work in a debts collection agency that sent telegrams to delinquent acounts if their phone was disconnected, I sent many myself.

A quick note on the blockade(embargo) on Cuba by the USA. It prohibits any country to trade or sell any product or medicine with a US patent in full or part to Cuba and that's tonnage of medicines and products, even if manufactured in other countries.

S F

Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Pilsner Panther

Ancient "Singing Telegram" joke, probably as old as the Singing Telegram itself:

A luxury liner at sea suddenly starts drifting off course, and toward the rocks. A sailor who has a stammering problem runs up to the First Mate and says, "Ss-i-r, I, I, I need to, to, to tell you s-s-some, someth—"

The First Mate says, "Come on, out with it, man! If you can't say it, then sing it! You know, like a singing telegram!"

So the sailor sings out,

"May auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind—
The Captain's fallen overboard,
And he's fifty miles behind!"

::)

Offline garystooge

Back in the early 90s, I picked up a bunch of items from Joe Besser’s estate, including about a hundred telegrams he sent to his wife during the the 1930s and 40s. Besser spent a lot of time on the road during these years, and telegrams were his primary method of keeping in touch with home.  The telegrams reveal that Besser had a deep affection for his wife, constantly telling her how much he loved her, missed her, couldn’t wait to get home, etc. And apparently she saved  every one of them.
     While not as prolific as Besser, Larry Fine was also a frequent telegram sender. I have one from 1971 that he sent to my wife (his niece) wishing her a happy birthday.
     Whenever I hear the words “Western Union” I can’t help but think of that great hit song from the 60s called “Western Union” by the Five Americans. It had that really catchy hook (“Western Union….da da da, da da…..da da da, da da”), and that great line, “Got your cable just today, killed my groove I’ve got to say”.  It ain’t Dylan, but to this day, when someone asks me what I think of some just heard bad news, I think to myself, “Well it killed my groove”.

Offline Shemoeley Fine

In the mid-60's, the "Ice Man", the ex-Impressions band mate of Curtis Mayfield, Jerry Butler scored a huge hit with his own composition, "Hey!, Western Union Man" that had a chorus, "...send a telegram, send a telegram to my baby..."   Jerry is now an alderman(councilman) in his native Chicago.

I am having a pre-senior moment right now but I seem to recall another 1960's song that had a reference to a telegram by a male singer desperate to get a message to his girl by any means necessary and he rattles of a variety of ways to contact her including a telegram.

Here in So Cal there was a fabulous 1950's RnB vocal harmony group The Medallions known for their many hit songs about cars, all recorded with a great sense of humour, e.g Buick '59(recorded in 1954),  Speedin',  My Volvo. On the flip sides of these upbeat tunes they would have a ballad, one of which was a sequel to The Letter that they titled The Telegram.

S F
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Pilsner Panther

I was inspired by Gary's and Shemoeley's comments above to look through my Musty Archives (TM) to see if I had any songs about Western Union or telegrams... well, guess what, there's not a one. That really killed my groove.

However, I do have this 1912 oldie about the telephone, which was still something of a novelty back then. Since many people didn't have phones in their homes yet, the early Bell Company maintained these storefront telephone exchanges, with rows of booths that anyone could use to make calls. It wasn't cheap— the advertised fifty cents a minute for a long distance call would be around $10 in today's money.

When you think about it, these were the ancestors of the internet cafe!

We've made a lot of progress since then; I can talk to San Francisco for absolutely nothing... which might have something to do with the fact that I'm in San Francisco.

...Details, details.

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Pils <<<<  the early Bell Company maintained these storefront telephone exchanges, with rows of booths that anyone could use to make calls. >>>>

How funny, in Cuba these set ups still exist, used mostly by tourists in order to call outside of the island. it's much harder for Cuban nationalists to use the same booths as it is for them to have acess to the internet because of the "tourist aparthied" that exists in Cuba. Tourists and foreigners have access to places and have more rights and advantages than do Cubans, even those that work in the tourist industry.

I have a old 1950's Cuban song titled, "Un Telegrama",(a telegram). It has also been recorded by the legendary bandleader & creator of Oyé Como Va, Tito Puente. The lyrics has the male lead singer saying "even before you told me I love you, your eyes and kisses told me,  they were like a morse code, a telegram, sending me messages"....

S F
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 11:17:09 AM by Shemoeley Fine »
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado