Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Many thanks an'at!

Offline FineBari3

Hey, I just wanted to thank everybody that has wished me well. I mentioned I had some surgery done on my wrist on the 'bug report' section of this bboard, and figured I would get it out in the open here.

I have been off work since July because my arm went numb one day, and then they fired me in September with no notice. I found out when I went to get my prescription filled, as my insurance was cancelled. Needless to say, I hired a lawyer the next day. I have torn cartillage in my wrist, and that was what the surgery was for.

I am having a difficult time with my life now because of a torn up wrist and a broken heart, which happened at New Years. At least they can give me drugs for my wrist to ease that pain.

Thanks again, you knuckleheads!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 06:31:57 PM by FineBari3 »
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Has the bum wirst interfered with the joys of the baritone as well?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 11:42:10 PM by Giff me dat fill-em! »
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline FineBari3

Because of the surgery, it is going to be at least a month before I can hold that thing again. This was also going to be my triumphant return to playing the drums, but that aint-a-gonna happen either.

Man, drumcorps was the only thing keeping me going...The whole corps wished me well at my last rehearsal, and I blubbered like the emotional fool I am. I will probably go there and watch (and drink beer), but it wont be the same!
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Pilsner Panther

Because of the surgery, it is going to be at least a month before I can hold that thing again. This was also going to be my triumphant return to playing the drums, but that aint-a-gonna happen either.

Man, drumcorps was the only thing keeping me going...The whole corps wished me well at my last rehearsal, and I blubbered like the emotional fool I am. I will probably go there and watch (and drink beer), but it wont be the same!

Oh, damn... I used to be a fairly good pianist at one time, but then I got carpal tunnel syndrome (not from playing piano, but from doing repetitive keypunch work). My right arm is still screwed up, and it probably always will be. Good thing I can still aim and shoot a pistol with my left.

It's all in the genes, I think. Cecil Taylor (born 1933) is 73 years old, almost 74, and he's still seriously Blitzkrieging the keyboard— I've seen him perform recently, and he's as astonishing as ever, even without his long-gone collaborator Jimmy Lyons (who smoked himself to death... the poor guy, he had no control over his tobacco addiction).

:'(

Even so, it's still always pedal to the metal for Cecil, because if he couldn't give everything he's got in performance, he wouldn't even go on stage... he's as tireless and dedicated to his art as Moe Howard was.

Which is a major, major compliment, and I don't give out compliments lightly.

;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 12:44:33 AM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline bedlach

I'm a professional pianist, and actually general reports are that piano playing helps protect against carpal tunnel. tendonitisis another thing, however.

Pilsner Panther

I'm a professional pianist, and actually general reports are that piano playing helps protect against carpal tunnel. tendonitisis another thing, however.

There are a couple of classical pianists, Gary Graffman and Leon Fleischer, who've lost the use of their right hands from repeatedly playing physically demanding works like the Brahms piano concertos. Fleischer recently returned to playing with both hands, but it took him years and years of therapy to get his right hand back... I don't know all the medical details, though.

Cecil Taylor, I think he's a freak of nature (the good kind, though). When he gets going, his hands are literally a blur, like two little tornados zooming up and down the keyboard. His improvising is such a rapid-fire flow of ideas that it's an effort to keep up with him at times, listening. He likes the Boesendorfer Imperial Grand piano, too, which is bulit like a tank and has a very stiff action; he needs an instrument like that. I once saw him bust a string on a Steinway, at Carnegie Hall. Cecil's a piano tuner's delight...!

Whether normal piano playing is good or bad for you, I'd say it's good. I can't play for more than half an hour or so now before my right arm starts to bother me, but I still play for my own enjoyment because it relaxes me, and I'm a wound-up type with a lot of nervous energy. 

Interesting topic, however we got here...

Offline FineBari3

I am a classically trained percussionist (a drummer that reads music). I learned how to play the baritone because of tendonitis. Playing on Kevlar drum heads damaged many a snare drummer's wrist.

I was first tested for carpal tunnel with a painful nerve conduction test (re: lots of needles and electricity), then ulnar nerve compression with another nerve conduction test, then 2 MRIs an an arthrogram. Funfunfun!

My goal is to play snare jut one more time.....

So, do ya think Moe had any hand problems???
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Pilsner Panther

I don't think that Moe had any hand problems that came from slapping the other Stooges around, but I know that Larry developed a thickly-callused left cheek from being slapped so much. Don't remember where I read that, though.

Before I forget completely, I was going to mention that the next Pilsner's Picks is going to be an all-jazz piano segment. Not Cecil Taylor's modern jazz (I generally don't do living artists), but some of the classic old-time stuff. It's all ready to go, but once again, I'm having technical problems uploading the files. Rob knows about this, but I guess he's been too busy to fix the bug yet. Stay tuned, gang...