Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

One Fine Stooge

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
One Fine Stooge by Steve Cox & Jim Terry will be published in March.  There have been delays over the past year+, but Cumberland House Press is now moving forward.  I've seen a work-copy, and the book will prove worth the wait.

Threestooges.net member Trent Reeve has launched his Larry Fine tribute website,
http://www.larryfine.com/
Trent's site includes some excerpts and rare photos from One Fine Stooge, provided by Steve.  Check it out!

Offline EmailSitka

I can't wait for this new book about Larry.  I know it's going to be a good one, most of Coxs books are thorough and accurate.  I wonder what Larry would say to a book like this?  The pictures on www.larryfine.com are amazing!! When can we order copies???

Pilsner Panther

I can't wait for this new book about Larry.  I know it's going to be a good one, most of Coxs books are thorough and accurate.  I wonder what Larry would say to a book like this?  The pictures on www.larryfine.com are amazing!! When can we order copies???

Who is the actor delivering the eye-poke in the fourth photo from the top? Wallace Beery, I think (it won't take long for some Team Stooge member to confirm this, or to correct me if I'm wrong). This does look like a very worthwhile book... I just hope that in the book, the color picture of Larry playing the violin is larger.

Was he playing "Pop Goes The Weasel?" As soon as I saw this shot, the tune started running through my head!

"EmailSitka" is a hilarious choice of a screen name, by the way. Wish I'd thought of it myself!

[pound]

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Although I can't readily identify the actor right now, I can say that it is Moe who is delivering the eyepoke, and NOT the actor in question. Notice that it is the left hand doing the poking, and coming from the actor's right side, it is evident that it is Moe's hand. Sorry for the nitpick, Pils, but, that's what me doos best!

Also, its easy to tell it was a posed-for photo, because Moe's fingers are DIRECTLY in Curly's eyes, and Moe has stated more than once in interviews how he always aimed above the eyes when making the eyepoke.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Pilsner Panther

Although I can't readily identify the actor right now, I can say that it is Moe who is delivering the eyepoke, and NOT the actor in question. Notice that it is the left hand doing the poking, and coming from the actor's right side, it is evident that it is Moe's hand. Sorry for the nitpick, Pils, but, that's what me doos best!

Also, its easy to tell it was a posed-for photo, because Moe's fingers are DIRECTLY in Curly's eyes, and Moe has stated more than once in interviews how he always aimed above the eyes when making the eyepoke.

Okay, you're right, Giff... on careful examination of the photo, it is Moe who's giving the Curly the eye-poke. Still, if you don't look too closely, it seems to be that tall actor in the U.S. Cavalry officer's uniform who's doing it.

Either I need better eyes, or a better monitor, or both.

::)

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Ya' know, Pils ... after "carefully" examining that photo like you did, I think you're right that the actor in the background is wearing some kind of uniform, whether US Cavalry or not, but our boys are in modern dress. AND ... it almost looks like Larry was an incidental person in the photo, because he was looking off-camera, with a rather dour look on his face, I might add, and not at Moe or Curly or even the fellow in the background. In fact, NO Stooge is looking at the fellow in the background! You got my curiosity up, dude!! WHY was this photo staged?

Offline falsealarms

Surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this book, especially this week, as it was released today. I ordered my copy from Amazon the other day and it's due to come tomorrow, so I'm anxiously awaiting it. Has anyone here rushed out to get their copy already? If so, how is it?

Jimmie Adams

The actor looking non-chalant while Curly is being poked by Moe on the Larry Fine Website is Wallace Beery.

Offline kinderscenen

Oh, man! After moaning and wailing about the delays, I placed my order last night--now THIS is something to get a bit excited for! While "Stroke of Luck" was good  :-\, I can't wait to get my hands on what it COULD have been in the right hands.

And pictures...in color! What more can a Stooge fan want?
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline falsealarms

My copy came today, and I am blown away by this book. I've read many Stooge books over the years, but after awhile, they tend to overlap each other and replicate certain things. This book is different. The preface alone is fascinating, going in detail in regards to the disappointing "Stroke of Luck" book. It went as far as to call its author, James Carone, a "blowhard." Also much to my surprise - Besser, DeRita, and Sitka never visited Larry at the Motion Picture home during his final years. And DeRita and Besser never met each other, always declining to do so.

All of that promises to be the tip of the ice, though. There's over 200 pages of things like that, things I did not know, and I've been a Stooge follower for almost 20 years. There's a horde of rare pictures, ones I've never seen, and some are in color. Somewhere in heaven, Larry is smiling that his life story was finally told the right way. Flipping through the book, it was clear that Larry wanted something like this.

The wait for this book was worth it. Even if you've read Moe Fineburg's book on Larry, you'll want to own this. Quite frankly, this book blow's Fineburg's out of the water. I've always been less than impressed with that book, for whatever reason. Just the opposite with this new one. Because of the wealth of rare tidbits, stories, other recollections, and previously unseen photographs ... this might be the best Stooge-related book ever published.

It's that good.

Offline kinderscenen

Pfft! "Blowhard" is a rather nice way of putting it. The whole structure of the book blew...big time. 

Interesting that Besser and DeRita never met each other--I would've thought that they would have met a couple of times during various shows, etc. before becoming Stooges. Not so surprising that DeRita, Besser, and Sitka didn't visit Larry at the Motion Picture Home...it may have been a case of not wanting to see him as he was then (if that makes any sense). Ed Bernds mentioned how shocked he was when he saw Larry at a public appearance, and Moe wrote that he had a hard time accepting it.

While Moe Feinberg's book was pretty good   :-\ (hey, it was what, 1984/5?), I've often said that it would be great to have a "real" biography about the Stooges. Looks like we've finally got it (after only 30+ years!) and it's not written by anyone named Forrester!  >:D

Offline falsealarms

This one quote, from Larry's friend and barber, really stuck with me after reading it. She was visiting him the night before he died.

"Larry laid there with his eyes closed. I washed his hair, combed his hair and bathed him and I kept talking to him. I told him, 'It's Eddie... I'm here and Nick is with me....' I kept telling him to show me a sign, move a finger, move a toe. I really hoped that he would either come out of the coma or show me some sign that he could hear me. A tear came out of his eye and ran down his cheek and I knew that he knew I was there with him. It was really heartbreaking to us."

Less than a day later, Larry was dead.

Other Stooge books have simply told us that Larry was in a coma before he passed. I haven't seen something that personal and power regarding that in any other book.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
This one quote, from Larry's friend and barber, really stuck with me after reading it. She was visiting him the night before he died.

"Larry laid there with his eyes closed. I washed his hair, combed his hair and bathed him and I kept talking to him. I told him, 'It's Eddie... I'm here and Nick is with me....' I kept telling him to show me a sign, move a finger, move a toe. I really hoped that he would either come out of the coma or show me some sign that he could hear me. A tear came out of his eye and ran down his cheek and I knew that he knew I was there with him. It was really heartbreaking to us."

Less than a day later, Larry was dead.

I'm sorry, falsealarms, but please indulge me for a moment in my skepticude ... since I haven't read this book that I SO desire to read, your post relates a moment that is deserving of ANY Stooge fan's greatest interest ... but here is a comment that needs clarification for us "unknowing" Stooge public ...
You speak of a female barber that washed and combed his hair, then said to him in his dying moments, "It's Eddie... I'm here and Nick is with me...." ??

Offline falsealarms

Eddie Krispell was Larry's "lady friend and barber."

Eddie was a lady.

Offline EmailSitka

I just got my copy of One Fine Stooge and it's simply fantastico!  I can't believe my eyes.  The color pictures are something I wasnt' prepared for that's for sure.  I can't put this book down.  Since I'm a big Emil Sitka nut I was glad to see him quoted in the book and with some photos.  WOW!!!  I've never seen a book with so much personal information about a Stooge.  Even Moe Howard's book didn't really delve into his personal life like this book does with Larry's life.  I always wondered about his son's sudden death.  I am really impressed with its accuracy.  Kudos to the authors and to Brent Seguines great film listing at the end of the book for reference of dates.  This is by far the BEST BOOK I've ever found on the 3 Stooges and I have most all of them. I'm recommending it to several friends.  I was a little skeptical when I saw Joe De Rita on the cover, but the color photo is so great, I couldn't help myself.  The last pictures of all the Stooges inside are incredible, even the Joe De Rita photo at the home.  He lost all his weight and it's a sad photo, but I'm glad it's in there.  Plus, Larry talks of Shemps' death and that was really interesting to me personally.  Paul Howards painted get well card to Larry is so cool!!!  I couln't believe my eyes when I saw the picture of Larry grabbing his girlfriends breasts.  WHOA!   I'm so impressed with this book!!!!   Finally a decent beautiful book which pays tribute to our boys!!  This is the BEST!!   :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 06:55:55 AM by Dunrobin »

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Please don't post this in multiple threads.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline kinderscenen

Okay, it's only a mere two months later.... :laugh:

I think that unless someone as anal as I writes a biography of the Stooges, no matter how great a book is, you'll always think, "Well, what if they'd gone into more detail about the day-to-day grind of making shorts", or gone into more detail about their lives before the Stooges or behind the scenes (family life).  But even with those imaginary complaints, hands down, this is the best of the best and blows each and every one of the other books out of the water. To see the letters in which Larry describes his new book (this one) and the horrors of how Stroke of Luck was received is fascinating.

The information about his family life was especially interesting for me (because I'm nosy as hell and I like to see what makes people 'tick'), and I finally got the answers I was waiting for about Larry's life after Mabel died. I was also interested in how the Stooges were doing at the time of his stroke--the Stooges of the 1970's continues to be a point of interest for me, and even though this period was not that long ago (considering), we still don't know much about it.  Did they just disappear from the face of the earth?  They were still doing personal appearance tours, etc., so they were still sort of in the public eye. It was also interesting to compare and contrast Moe's autobiography with this book--a couple of things don't exactly match up, but that's expected.

A quote toward the end of the book concerning a possible appearance on the Mike Douglas show, "And he's (Moe) advertised as 'The last of the remaining Stooges.' They've got me written off." was both sad and fascinating. It was a different spin on things--old age, being in the public eye, etc. that really weren't mentioned in any of the other books, which made it seem that Larry was attempting to get well enough to perform again.  This book mentions nothing of the kind, which leads me to wonder if Moe wasted much time thinking that Larry could perform again, or if he was thinking about bringing in a replacement even before the other books mentioned it.  Reading between the lines (using Make Mine Manila as a guide), I'm assuming that a couple of months after Larry's stroke, Moe was already considering asking Emil to join the act.

The fact that some of the interviews were taped (especially the one leading up to the quote above) is fascinating--what I wouldn't give to hear those tapes.  I think what I enjoy most about that section is the realness of it. The new reincarnation of Stooges sucked (the fact that they were put together to complete the scheduled performances is ignored); Larry's gripes about the brevity of Moe's visits (yet wishing he'd visit more and stay longer); Moe's various appearances at colleges (and the fact that he was paid much more than Larry), and other points gives a different view of how they really were.

A point I wanted more explanation on was why Moe wanted to "get away from Norman."  It was already known that the 1971 movie was/would be financed questionably, and we know what happened with Blazing Stewardesses, so was this a case of Norman being so gung-ho about making a movie, ANY movie, to get the Stooges in the public eye that he was willing to look the other way on a few things? (I'm definitely not saying Norman was a criminal). Unfortunately, we'll probably never know.

The pictures were great, and once again, there were enough pictures of the latter-era Stooges to shut me up--the pictures and stories of Larry, his girlfriend, and Jim Malinda gave an interesting look (especially one of them!  :D) into that period. The portions about the local Stooge shows dragged on for me, but only because I'm not very fond of the "child friendly" Stooges--kids liked them before the 60's, even with all the "violence."

All in all, it's been a book that's been 33 years in the making, and it's wonderful to know that this was what Stroke of Luck was supposed to have been, and not the pile of hot, poorly written ass that it turned out to be. Definitely at the top of the list! Even though it sounds like I'm a conspiracy nut (or a Forrester!), I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone, whether they were a Stooge nut or just interested in reading biographies in general.

Apologies for the length!

Offline Justin T

After much searching I FINALLY found a copy of this at Borders this past weekend. It was
the last one they had, and none of the local Barnes and Noble stores had it in stock for
some reason.

I have heard how great this book is for awhile, so I cant wait to read it and see for myself.
I'll share them when Im done with it.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline archiezappa

I would definitely like to read "One Fine Stooge."  I went looking for it, but, alas, our local book stores don't have it.  I guess I'll have to break down and order it from Amazon.com.  I'm glad to know it will be worth it.  The only books I have on the Stooges are "Moe Howard & The Three Stooges" by Moe Howard and "The Three Stooges Scrapbook" by Joan Maurer.

If "One Fine Stooge" is even better that those, I'll definitely be happy.  I've really enjoyed those two books.

Offline Hollister

If you are looking for books at a good prices be sure to check out.

www.bookfinder.com

Offline porcupinefan87

I was  recently talking online about "One Fine Stooge" with someone who just bought it. I could be biased as a Larry fan, but I think it's deff. a tad bit better than a lot of other popular stooge books...mainly because those really do not give enough info on our frizzy haired buddy, at least in my view. The Howard brothers often carve up the empire in terms of information...and that makes perfect sense...there's MORE of them, one of them is Curly - argueably the most loved stooge ever, etc. But I guess it's refreshing to see Fine's story told. I've often disliked how a lot of books just portrayed him as some lazy, gambling, simpleton...just along for the ride while Moe did all the work. This book really gets at the core of his character and makes him seem not only a good person, but a fascinatiing person...hardly just the crazy clown that he portrayed. It delves a lot into his home life...which wasn't always happy, etc and also has a lot of great copies of letters and correspondence and such. I know this is a stooge board, but I'll allow myself to go all "girly girl" for a moment and say that my mother and I must have "awwwww-ed" over the book so many times, particularly things like a copy of a calander that he drew out for his young daughter while he was on the road. It has all of these important days, such as when he'll be home...but with little personal touch comments. Then on top he titles it "My Angel's Page...Calender of Important Days". Yes I'll get girly and go..."AWWWWWWW!!!" haha.   ;D

All in all, it's a wonderful book even just about the Stooges as a whole.
"Roses are red, and how do you do? Drink four of these and...woob woob woob woob!" - Curly, 'No Census, No Feeling'
------------
"Ehhh....money shrinks!!!" - Shemp, 'Don't Throw That Knife'
------------
"Even the comedians that make you laugh the hardest, have tragedies in their lives.  Laughter is all we have against the pain of life and death." - Larry Fine

Offline Hollister

I'm heading over to Amazon to buy this book.

Offline Justin T

I was  recently talking online about "One Fine Stooge" with someone who just bought it. I could be biased as a Larry fan, but I think it's deff. a tad bit better than a lot of other popular stooge books...mainly because those really do not give enough info on our frizzy haired buddy, at least in my view. The Howard brothers often carve up the empire in terms of information...and that makes perfect sense...there's MORE of them, one of them is Curly - argueably the most loved stooge ever, etc. But I guess it's refreshing to see Fine's story told. I've often disliked how a lot of books just portrayed him as some lazy, gambling, simpleton...just along for the ride while Moe did all the work. This book really gets at the core of his character and makes him seem not only a good person, but a fascinatiing person...hardly just the crazy clown that he portrayed. It delves a lot into his home life...which wasn't always happy, etc and also has a lot of great copies of letters and correspondence and such. I know this is a stooge board, but I'll allow myself to go all "girly girl" for a moment and say that my mother and I must have "awwwww-ed" over the book so many times, particularly things like a copy of a calander that he drew out for his young daughter while he was on the road. It has all of these important days, such as when he'll be home...but with little personal touch comments. Then on top he titles it "My Angel's Page...Calender of Important Days". Yes I'll get girly and go..."AWWWWWWW!!!" haha.   ;D

All in all, it's a wonderful book even just about the Stooges as a whole.

Well said porcupinefan87!

I finished "One Fine Stooge" last night and I was very happy when I was done. It wasn't just another great book about the Stooges it was a wonderful
look at Larry Fine, "The Stooge in the Middle" who I think doesn't always get the appreciation that the Howard Brothers get. Curly may be my favorite, but I love the Howard Brothers and Larry all the same. He was just as important to the act as Moe, Shemp and Curly where.

I really loved seeing what his home life was like, how he loved his kids and his wife Mabel. The stuff about Mabel's alcoholism and how Larry dealt with it the best he could was very sad. It's a testament to Larry's strength of will and character that he didn't fall apart after losing both his son and Mabel in a 5 year span. The stories of fans and latter famous people like Bob Saget visting Larry in the Motion Picture Home after his Stroke were just wonderful. I also liked the insightful section at Ted Healy's tragic death and how we may never know exactly what happened. He gets a bad rap too often from Stooge fans IMO. There were some familar stories in the book, and some I had never heard before, offering a nice balance that I enjoyed. The fact Besser and Curly Joe never wanted to met each other in person after Larry and Moe died was very interesting.

Its a great book about Larry and the Stooges as a whole, and every Stooge fan should have it. It sits in honor on my bookshelf right alongside my copies of "The Three Stooges Scrapbook." and "Moe Howard and the Three Stooges".
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline porcupinefan87

Thanks. And I agree with what you said.

One of the reasons that I loved A & E's Biography on them, "Men Behind The Mayhem", from the first time I saw it at about 14 years old, was because it was about the only bio on them that I'd seen that actually seemed to HIGHLIGHT Larry. Most other things you'll see on them are narrated in this sort of..."There were the three Howard brothers. *insert all sorts of family history* They were great. Then some guy named Larry Fine joined them..." type of tone, you know? That A & E Biography is a real change. There's so much stuff on Larry, an interview with his sister, etc etc. So I've always loved that. Fine's been my favorite since I first got into the boys at 9 years old and I think one of the biggest reasons is because I always looked at him as the sort of "odd man out". And, as with many of my other idols, I'm often drawn to those type of people.

This book is great for much the same reasons. Like I said, many books would just show Larry as this simple guy who skirted through life in some ridiculously happy state of optimism and foolish bliss or something, you know? It'd give you this mental image of poor Moe all nervous and working and Larry just slacking off and playing around. Actually, one of the reasons I didn't add him to my "elite idols list" until very recently, was because I felt he may not have been complex enough or had enough angst and interesting character etc (I'm weird I know). But much of that was because that's how he's been sold through the years really, up until this book. My mom was actually the one who really started to love him after hearing about all the insight of the book. She'd be like "Angela....I love Larry! Add him to your list or I will!" haha! Yes, my mom and I are silly. But she really got touched by hearing parts of the book that I'd share with her. She'll often say, "He's lovable Larry...you can tell."

So with all this round-about rambling the point I'm getting at is this: Larry was cool and admirable not because he was some foolishly optimistic person, but because he had his share of tragedies in life but got through them remarkably well, and with that positive attitude and sense of humor that we all love. That's why the book was good. It didn't leave the bad bits out. I liked this because it made everything more "real". In short, I think it showed that Moe wasn't the only one who had a lot of stresses to deal with. Part of me thinks that Larry may have been more "lazy" in the business end, because in all other areas of his real life he had to "play the Moe role".

Another thing that the book got me thinking about was Larry's "effortlessness" in Stooge shorts. While saying that the boys are "playing themselves" would indicate that they lacked talent, Larry really has the most natural air of the three. Sometimes I wonder if maybe that's another reason Moe got annoyed. While Moe was an extremely talented performer and probably could have been a wonderful serious actor even, there are times when his comedy can seem more forced or not as "free flowing" as the others (then again the role he has to play is probably the most challenging). Sometimes I wonder if Moe took that sort of "disappointed parent attitude" towards Larry. You know that sort of..."You have all of these natural talents! Why don't you work harder to improve your craft?" kind of tone. But I think there are two types of people...1) there are the arrogant performers who feel they are just so wonderful and just don't think they can improve and choose not to work at things at all, and 2) there are those who maybe don't even look at what they're doing as any form of "high art", and probably don't even see that they have a certain talent that is worth improving, because it all just seems "easy" and "natural" to do. I think Fine fell into the latter category. You get the sense from a lot of stuff you'll read about him that he thought everything he got in life was luck...even "a stroke of luck", you know? I once read in an interivew that his sister said how he felt he had no talent, especially in comparison to the others in the group, and that luck had just gotten him everywhere. So I think that's another, more modest approach to his work ethic. He probably felt what he was doing was somewhat minute. Sort of the type of guy who would laugh at you if you told him he was a genius. Moe, while certainly not arrogant by any means, seemed to take a more intellectual approach to their comedy...almost at least knowing that "yeah there's an art to what we do" etc.  Fine wanted things to be fun, but perhaps partly because maybe he felt that the fact that he was a sort of star, making films, etc...was FUNNY in and of itself.

And you can tell me to shut up soon if you'd like hahaha. But I have to agree that "One Fine Stooge" is an awesome book. Another one I'd like to look into that looks good is the one that his brother wrote, "Larry: The Stooge In The Middle".

"Roses are red, and how do you do? Drink four of these and...woob woob woob woob!" - Curly, 'No Census, No Feeling'
------------
"Ehhh....money shrinks!!!" - Shemp, 'Don't Throw That Knife'
------------
"Even the comedians that make you laugh the hardest, have tragedies in their lives.  Laughter is all we have against the pain of life and death." - Larry Fine