Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Another illegal Stooges set

Offline falsealarms

Fresh off the heals of his first set of Stooges shorts, this guy is offering a second set with another 40 shorts. The first set is the top-selling Stooges DVD item at Amazon and this second one has vaulted up the ranks too. This is the guy that claims all these shorts are in the public domain. The first set had the first 40 Curly's, this seems to have the next 40

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZE39Q/qid=1136336037/sr=1-13/ref=sr_1_13/102-0900726-6774529?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

But be warned, he is only offering set 2 "for a limited time," what until he gets sued?

I'm shocked Amazon lists these type of items.

Pilsner Panther

But be warned, he is only offering set 2 "for a limited time," what until he gets sued?

"I am shocked... shocked!" —"Casablanca"

This isn't one of Amazon's own product offerings, it's a link to one of their second-party vendors. I don't know what their policy is for listing these, but I've bought a few things from some of them myself (like the Stooges VHS tape of "Cuckoo On A Choo Choo," "Shot In The Frontier," and "Love At First Bite"). I've never had any problems, and that particular tape has a Columbia copyright notice on it, so the producers of the tape must have licensed the shorts.

I'll tell you one thing, if this guy who's offering the bootleg DVD sets had been selling counterfeit Disney material instead, Big Mouse's lawyers would have come down on him immediately, if not sooner. Maybe Sony just doesn't care?

If they ever do take legal action, it's very possible that anyone who bought these DVD's could also find themselves in legal trouble, so keep that in mind in case you're tempted to buy them.

:o

Offline Bangsmith

• Citizen of Greater Stoogedom
  • Chucklehead
Fresh off the heals of his first set of Stooges shorts, this guy is offering a second set with another 40 shorts. The first set is the top-selling Stooges DVD item at Amazon and this second one has vaulted up the ranks too. This is the guy that claims all these shorts are in the public domain. The first set had the first 40 Curly's, this seems to have the next 40

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZE39Q/qid=1136336037/sr=1-13/ref=sr_1_13/102-0900726-6774529?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

I saw the same listings, and I almost bought them, until I read that review that mentions that they're bootlegs. I have nothing against bootlegs, but don't lie and say that they are in the public domain, when only four shorts are, that I know of. All of those shorts are Curly's, so that means only ONE of them is public-domain! I own a boot of all 190 myself (just to have the Besser shorts, which will probably never be released on DVD), but I also have all the legitimate DVD's as well.
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do "suck seed"!!

xraffle

There's a lot more illegal sets on Ebay now. It looks like Sony isn't taking much action anymore. It's strange how there aren't anymore Three Stooges DVDs being released by Sony. I wonder if these illegal sets have anything to do with it.

Offline Bangsmith

• Chucklehead
There is one particular set of 78 New Three Stooges cartoons that is listed dozens of times as a fixed-price item that you can find, oddly enough, by searching under "Shemp Howard" on Ebay. That seller also claims that they are public-domain, but I'm not sure if that's true. It's been there forever, but I wouldn't trust it.

Offline Robbie883

I'm starting not to really care anymore. I mean it's not like Columbia Pictures is going to release all of them, and if they do, definately not at this cheap of a price. If I had the money, I would probably purchase it, I'm not the one that could be getting sued, so what do I got to lose..ya know?

Offline Bangsmith

• Chucklehead

Just so it is known, Amazon ain't the only ones selling that set. There is a volume 3 now. That ad at the bottom of this page for "The Three Stooges on DVD" at www.glorydaysentertainment.com that says "120 episodes on three 8-dvd sets" is for that very set that this thread is bashing with vol. 3 added!!!! Check it out, and try not to laugh!!!!!!! [rotfl] [rotfl] [rotfl] [rotfl] P.S. That ad right next to it is for the first two volumes only!!!!!!!! [rotfl] [rotfl] [rotfl] [rotfl]

Offline jc

I saw the same listings, and I almost bought them, until I read that review that mentions that they're bootlegs. I have nothing against bootlegs, but don't lie and say that they are in the public domain, when only four shorts are, that I know of. All of those shorts are Curly's, so that means only ONE of them is public-domain! I own a boot of all 190 myself (just to have the Besser shorts, which will probably never be released on DVD), but I also have all the legitimate DVD's as well.

Just yesterday I got a boot of all 190 also but from here

http://www.sell.com/2275XK

I got them mainly to have the Curly and Shemp shorts and also a few Joe Besser shorts.  What surprised me was 10 of the shorts were color.  Now how can they colorize something when it was originally shown in black and white.   I've heard of Ted Turner colorizing his films.  Sorry, I'm off topic.  Anyway,  I also own legitimate DVDs and a VHS tape but they only have the 4 public domain shorts, which 1 of them was in color on the DVDs.  The other 3 must be in color too as I haven't seen them yet (just in black and white)

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I also own legitimate DVDs and a VHS tape but they only have the 4 public domain shorts, which 1 of them was in color on the DVDs.  The other 3 must be in color too as I haven't seen them yet (just in black and white)

I recently purchased a DVD from Legend Films that colorized all the PD shorts. It was impressive how good the shorts were reproduced before they were colorized. This DVD allows you to view them in either color or B&W. There is even a "special feature" that will let you compare the "original" copy of the short to the "remastered" copy. Although I'm usually a die-hard B&W advocate, these four shorts were given a great face-lift by this film company.

Three Stooges in Color (2005)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Pilsner Panther

I recently purchased a DVD from Legend Films that colorized all the PD shorts. It was impressive how good the shorts were reproduced before they were colorized. This DVD allows you to view them in either color or B&W. There is even a "special feature" that will let you compare the "original" copy of the short to the "remastered" copy. Although I'm usually a die-hard B&W advocate, these four shorts were given a great face-lift by this film company.

I scream (not for ice cream), I yell, I tear out my hair at the roots, and I blue the air with curses in Gaelic, Latin, Yiddish, and every other language that I know how to curse in.

Colorization sucks!

No matter how well it's done, it still isn't what the original filmmakers intended. Nor could it ever be. It's like that moronic phony "stereo" that was applied to some 1920's and 30's recordings back in the LP era. Disgusting, and the ruination of the originals. There's absolutely no excuse for it.

(Pilsner goes to the nearest porcelain receptacle and pukes up his last three or four meals...)

[bitchin]

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
There, there Pils ...
Are you also against the "remastering" process this particular film company put these four shorts through? They did it in order to have a much better print to colorize, to be sure, and they didn't say anything about what they did to the soundtrack of these four shorts, either. No telling what they might have done. And one of the DVD's "special features" is this company selling other B&W movies they have "enhanced", like A Christmas Wish with Jimmy Durante and Rupert the Squirrel, and Reefer Madness.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

xraffle

I have that DVD and the colorization is terrible. Who ever heard of pink or orange walls? However, the original black and white prints included on the DVD look great. The Columbia colorized DVDs have much better colorization.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

xraffle

Sorry I wasn't born until the 1980s, so I didn't know that homes in the 1970s had weird colors.

Offline Bangsmith

• Chucklehead
Just yesterday I got a boot of all 190 also but from here

http://www.sell.com/2275XK

I got them mainly to have the Curly and Shemp shorts and also a few Joe Besser shorts.  What surprised me was 10 of the shorts were color.  Now how can they colorize something when it was originally shown in black and white.   I've heard of Ted Turner colorizing his films.  Sorry, I'm off topic.  Anyway,  I also own legitimate DVDs and a VHS tape but they only have the 4 public domain shorts, which 1 of them was in color on the DVDs.  The other 3 must be in color too as I haven't seen them yet (just in black and white)
I got mine from Ebay, and 12 are colorized. The 8 that are officially released in colorized versions by Sony are there, and so are the four PD shorts that, as mentioned by Giff Me Dat Fill-em, are available from Legend Films (a Fox imprint) in color. I think that colorization is a great idea, as long as the b&w versions are still available, which they all are, at least for now. As far as the soundtrack to the Legend DVD, I hear no difference from the originals. It appears that only the picture was remastered.