General Boards > Read These First (FAQ)

The Missing 60

<< < (2/8) > >>

BeAStooge:

--- Quote from: locoboymakesgood on December 20, 2005, 04:20:58 PM ---everytime I hear mentioned 'The Missing 60' I get confused. At some point or another I've seen all 190 shorts, but refresh my memory.. why are these shorts 'missing' and why doesn't Columbia include them in anything?

--- End quote ---

In 1998, Columbia and C3 co-produced a new syndication package with 130 shorts for local television.  Local stations who lease that package are competitively protected from national cable showing all 190... so AMC from 2000 - 2004, and currently Spike, are restricted to the same group of 130 films.

Some local markets have acquired all 190 (WCIU Chicago, WSBK Boston, WPSG Philadelphia), but some still have the 130-short package (most recently WPIX New York).  "The missing 60" will continue for as long as Sony Television markets the smaller package.

locoboymakesgood:
WNLO 23 in Buffalo ran that absolutely horrid syndicated package when it started back in 2003, but after a few months they took it off the air. I don't blame them. I watched it every night and was disgusted, as it was just two episodes with the same amount of commercial breaks Spike airs them with. At the  time AMC still haf them on at 7 PM every weeknight so not seeing the ones at 11 on WNLO didn't bother me all that much.

I still miss it when they were syndicated in the 80s here. The local network showed three shorts for an hour, all uncut every Sunday. I still have a few tapes of them yet, with a lot of the rarer ones (We Want Our Mummy, Three Little Sew and Sews, Hula-La-La, etc.). Sucks it isn't like that anymore.

jc:
I notice on the Stoogeworld Censored Stooges page that Family Channel (now ABC Family, before that Fox Family) showed the missing 60 but they sure censored them to death.  I vaguely remembered watching them on the Family Channel back then but I had no idea until reading elsewhere on the Internet that they censored them.

There's only one of the missing 60 shorts I remember watching on the Family Channel back then and that is Pest Man Wins (1951)

What about TBS?   When they used to show them a long time ago did they show the missing 60?  I've never watched them on TBS back then but just curious.

FineBari3:

--- Quote from: Shemoeley Fine on December 20, 2005, 10:41:16 PM ---According to my filmography of viewed Stooges 2-Reelers every one of the "missing 60" has been aired by Los Angeles'
KCOP channel 13 in 1975 and 1976 because I have notes and ratings with the dates I saw them, moreover many of the Curly shorts on the list I have seen in 2 different Stooges festival at theatres in So Cal in either March or June of 1980.

S F

--- End quote ---

Wow! I admire your anal retentiveness!!  [thumbsup]

(Former librarian here....all my videos are cataloged on index cards...over 1500!)

FineBari3:

--- Quote from: jc on April 06, 2006, 07:04:13 AM ---
What about TBS?   When they used to show them a long time ago did they show the missing 60?  I've never watched them on TBS back then but just curious.

--- End quote ---

I am pretty sure that TBS showed the missing 60. I have tapes from marathons they ran (also the Family Channel). I just put the tape in and hit record. I have all of my missing 60 shorts from those marathons. I think they were edited to all hell though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version