General Boards > Read These First (FAQ)

The Missing 60

<< < (6/8) > >>

Hammond Eggar:
All this talk about the Stooges on TBS takes me back to my childhood.  I first became interested in the Stooges after discovering them on KTVT (Channel 11 in Dallas) back in the late-1970s/early-1980s.  I would travel there in the summer to visit my grandparents.  On weekday mornings, KTVT aired a one-hour program titled Slam Bang Theater.  I believe this show originated as a studio show, similar to, say, Officer Joe Bolton's program or The Bozo Show, in that it mixed live-action characters with various cartoons and shorts from the Stooges, as well as Our Gang.  This, of course, was done before a live audience made up of kids.  That's the impression I get from what I've read about the history of the show.

That aside, by the time I started watching, the show was one-hour, with a mix of Stooges, Our Gang and various cartoons.  That was my formal introduction to the Stooges.  Living in San Antonio, with no independent TV stations, you can imagine how excited I was to discover our boys on TBS, which then went by WTBS.  WTBS, at that time, aired a weekday-morning show titled Super Station Funtime whose content was the same as Slam Bang Theater.  As I recall, WTBS aired one short per broadcast, and ran them in chronological order, starting with Women Haters and going straight through to Sappy Bullfighters.  This is how I built my original collection of Stooges shorts.  I never had all 190, but thanks to WTBS, I had a fair share of them.  I also recall that, for a period of time, WTBS also aired a half-hour show on weekday-afternoons titled Bugs Bunny and Friends which also included Stooges shorts.

As for Slam Bang Theater, it eventually evolved into the half-hour Three Stooges and Friends before finally being dropped from the KTVT line-up all together.  KTVT is no longer an independent station.  I believe it is now Dallas' CBS affiliate.  As for San Antonio, we eventually got our own independent stations in the mid-1980s.  KRRT began airing the Stooges one hour a week, on Sundays from 9-10AM.  Later, they added another hour, on Saturdays from 6-7AM.  Unfortunately, KRRT has since dropped the Stooges from it's line-up.  During the boys run on the channel, however, (if memory serves) all 190 shorts were aired at least once. :-\

Moe Hailstone:
Having 115 shorts on VHS (from TV) I looked over this list and I'm missing 45 from the 60.  I'm shocked that I have a few of them, but I was recording the Three Stooges in the mid 90's from an Arizona channel that played them at night.

Tardo317:
WSBK in Boston is currently showing the "missing 60".  I'm slowly building my missing Shemp episodes as we speak!

Moe Hailstone:

--- Quote from: Tardo317 on November 07, 2007, 05:18:26 PM ---WSBK in Boston is currently showing the "missing 60".  I'm slowly building my missing Shemp episodes as we speak!

--- End quote ---

Are they the full length shorts?  It seems that more and more TV shows/movies that air today are cut for commercial time.  I noticed this back in the 90's, and that was a good 10+ years ago.

Tardo317:

--- Quote from: Moe Hailstone on November 08, 2007, 08:55:53 PM ---Are they the full length shorts?  It seems that more and more TV shows/movies that air today are cut for commercial time.  I noticed this back in the 90's, and that was a good 10+ years ago.

--- End quote ---

Yup, full length.  WSBK only runs commercials between the shorts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version