Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Missing 60

Offline Hammond Eggar

All this talk about the Stooges on TBS takes me back to my childhood.  I first became interested in the Stooges after discovering them on KTVT (Channel 11 in Dallas) back in the late-1970s/early-1980s.  I would travel there in the summer to visit my grandparents.  On weekday mornings, KTVT aired a one-hour program titled Slam Bang Theater.  I believe this show originated as a studio show, similar to, say, Officer Joe Bolton's program or The Bozo Show, in that it mixed live-action characters with various cartoons and shorts from the Stooges, as well as Our Gang.  This, of course, was done before a live audience made up of kids.  That's the impression I get from what I've read about the history of the show.

That aside, by the time I started watching, the show was one-hour, with a mix of Stooges, Our Gang and various cartoons.  That was my formal introduction to the Stooges.  Living in San Antonio, with no independent TV stations, you can imagine how excited I was to discover our boys on TBS, which then went by WTBS.  WTBS, at that time, aired a weekday-morning show titled Super Station Funtime whose content was the same as Slam Bang Theater.  As I recall, WTBS aired one short per broadcast, and ran them in chronological order, starting with Women Haters and going straight through to Sappy Bullfighters.  This is how I built my original collection of Stooges shorts.  I never had all 190, but thanks to WTBS, I had a fair share of them.  I also recall that, for a period of time, WTBS also aired a half-hour show on weekday-afternoons titled Bugs Bunny and Friends which also included Stooges shorts.

As for Slam Bang Theater, it eventually evolved into the half-hour Three Stooges and Friends before finally being dropped from the KTVT line-up all together.  KTVT is no longer an independent station.  I believe it is now Dallas' CBS affiliate.  As for San Antonio, we eventually got our own independent stations in the mid-1980s.  KRRT began airing the Stooges one hour a week, on Sundays from 9-10AM.  Later, they added another hour, on Saturdays from 6-7AM.  Unfortunately, KRRT has since dropped the Stooges from it's line-up.  During the boys run on the channel, however, (if memory serves) all 190 shorts were aired at least once. :-\
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 05:26:42 PM by Hammond Eggar »
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
Having 115 shorts on VHS (from TV) I looked over this list and I'm missing 45 from the 60.  I'm shocked that I have a few of them, but I was recording the Three Stooges in the mid 90's from an Arizona channel that played them at night.
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Tardo317

WSBK in Boston is currently showing the "missing 60".  I'm slowly building my missing Shemp episodes as we speak!

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
WSBK in Boston is currently showing the "missing 60".  I'm slowly building my missing Shemp episodes as we speak!

Are they the full length shorts?  It seems that more and more TV shows/movies that air today are cut for commercial time.  I noticed this back in the 90's, and that was a good 10+ years ago.
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Tardo317

Are they the full length shorts?  It seems that more and more TV shows/movies that air today are cut for commercial time.  I noticed this back in the 90's, and that was a good 10+ years ago.

Yup, full length.  WSBK only runs commercials between the shorts.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
I got most of my stooges TV shorts from TBS, (last and hardest to get for some reason was "Up In Daisy's Penthouse") Also SuperStation WOR would show grainier ones but seemed more complete (same time frame- about from 1987-1995) to acquire all 190 shorts. Many cut (TBS was imfamous for this in the early morning (10 min shorts!) but they showed (what was left of them) many I have not seen since. Also here in Baltimore, Channel 54 on Sundays had a one hour Stooge show with many Shemps shown.

I Fleecem

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
Yup, full length.  WSBK only runs commercials between the shorts.

Now I am officially jealous.   >:D  But still, it's good to know that somewhere in the U.S. there is a place that is showing the Stooges in full length.

I got most of my stooges TV shorts from TBS, (last and hardest to get for some reason was "Up In Daisy's Penthouse") Also SuperStation WOR would show grainier ones but seemed more complete (same time frame- about from 1987-1995) to acquire all 190 shorts. Many cut (TBS was imfamous for this in the early morning (10 min shorts!) but they showed (what was left of them) many I have not seen since. Also here in Baltimore, Channel 54 on Sundays had a one hour Stooge show with many Shemps shown.

I Fleecem

I can't imagine watching a 10 minute short.  The ones that I have on tape only have about 1 minute or so cut from the short.  You're talking a good 5 minutes or more (depending on the short) that is removed, making the story probably seem rushed or hard to follow.

ThumpTheShoes

Now I am officially jealous.   >:D  But still, it's good to know that somewhere in the U.S. there is a place that is showing the Stooges in full length.

I can't imagine watching a 10 minute short.  The ones that I have on tape only have about 1 minute or so cut from the short.  You're talking a good 5 minutes or more (depending on the short) that is removed, making the story probably seem rushed or hard to follow.

You haven't lived 'till you've seen the truncated version of Dizzy Detectives as shown on the Family Channel and others... Right after the credits it starts on the zoom of the headline "Mysterious Burglaries Panic City." The short ends (or fades out to the next scheduled program, depending on where it was shown) when Curly shoots himself in the foot.

Weak.

-Th

Offline Hammond Eggar

Has WSBK ever aired Spooks and Pardon My Backfire as 3-D shorts?  KRRT, a station here in San Antonio, ran them one night back in the early-1990s as part of an evening of 3-D movies.  Local Diamond Shamrock gas stations supplied viewers with the glasses. [pie]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
Yeah, TBS would sandwich a Stooge short between early morning movies (end at 4:20am Stooges til 4:30am) as filler (as they figured) I think Little Rascals got the same treatment. But this would happen at strange times as I set my VCR timer that shorts would be started or not be on as TV Guide would have them listed (back before all of this futuristic computer stuff folks)

I especially remember The Ghost Talks with it staring about 5 minutes in after the title sequence and cutting out some middle and go to the conclusion of the story. At first you know you missed something but until you see it uncut (which takes a long time in some instances) You don't know what your missing.

And TBS must have figured the same thing.  Still at least they were shown regularly on TV.
(including the missing 60) Although as I posted on another thread some were still hard to find in any time length.   They Stooge To Conga comes to mind as a good example of this.

Enuff Fluff for now

IFleecem

Offline Hammond Eggar

Yeah, TBS would sandwich a Stooge short between early morning movies (end at 4:20am Stooges til 4:30am) as filler (as they figured) I think Little Rascals got the same treatment. But this would happen at strange times as I set my VCR timer that shorts would be started or not be on as TV Guide would have them listed (back before all of this futuristic computer stuff folks)

I especially remember The Ghost Talks with it staring about 5 minutes in after the title sequence and cutting out some middle and go to the conclusion of the story. At first you know you missed something but until you see it uncut (which takes a long time in some instances) You don't know what your missing.

And TBS must have figured the same thing.  Still at least they were shown regularly on TV.
(including the missing 60) Although as I posted on another thread some were still hard to find in any time length.   They Stooge To Conga comes to mind as a good example of this.

Enuff Fluff for now

IFleecem

I still recall when TNT was using Ted Healy/Stooges shorts as late night/early morning filler.  That's how I got my copies of the MGM shorts.  I seem to recall reading/hearing that TNT also aired some of Shemp's solo shorts, but would need confirmation on that. 8)

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
Wow missed out on that, Don't think that our  cable system had those channels yet.   Middle of the night on cable they needed stuff to keep going 24 hours daily.  Stooges have landed and have the situation well in hand.

I Fleecem 

Tardo317

Has WSBK ever aired Spooks and Pardon My Backfire as 3-D shorts?  KRRT, a station here in San Antonio, ran them one night back in the early-1990s as part of an evening of 3-D movies.  Local Diamond Shamrock gas stations supplied viewers with the glasses. [pie]

I remember WSBK showing the 3-D shorts back around '83 or '84.  I had those glasses for the longest time.  I don't think they've shown them as 3-D recently though.