Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

A Question Every Stooge Fan Needs to Answer: Thoughts On 1985's 'Stoogemania'

Offline locoboymakesgood

Alright, this is a question I have not seen posted and I need to ask. Let me elaborate...

I was born in 1986, and grew up since then as a Stoogeaholic. I personally don't remember this, as I was but a lad at the time, but in the 80s the Stooges became really 'popular'. So much that they decided to make a movie warranting this epidemic hitting the nation. The outcome was a Josh Mostel comedy from 1985 entitled 'Stoogemania'. It was made by Atlantic releasing corp. and distributed by Paramount Pictures. Such actors appearing in the film are Sid Caesar, Victoria Jackson (SNL, UHF), James Avery (Uncle Phil on 'Fresh Prince'), Thom Sharp (Glad commercial spokesman in the 90s - I always just referred to him as Bob Smoynik), and of course Zero Mostel's son, Josh Mostel. Also with a brief cameo was Moe's personally friend 'Mousie' Garner, playing a fellow Stoogmaniac. This is a brief rundown of the film..

Josh Mostel plays Howard F. Howard, a bumbling man who's been obsessed with the Stooges all of his life. So bad that it causes him to destroy a wedding, lose his job, and become homeless. Due to a strange behavior that was taking over the country, top doctors made special rehab clinic for this epidemic they entitled Stoogemania. The rehab clinic, Stooge Hills, is just like a detox center.. teaching you that the Stooges are bad, and beating the crap out of eachother is not funny. We should instead watch shows like Sin in Cincinnati and Miami Violence. It turns out everyone, even at Stooge Hills, just can't resist the boys, and everything turns out fine for Howard in the end.

Sure, the premise of this movie is stupid. It's poorly written, poorly acted, and corny. But I love it. There are so many great one-liners in this movie it's rediculous. I manage to quite it all the time, and the fact that it's the only movie ever created about someone obsessed with our favorite comedy team, it's impossible not to like! The only drawback is that only 4 shorts are shown throughout the film. Obviously, they're the PD shorts. Columbia had nothing to do with this film, although they did manage to score the Stooges likeness throughout the film and on the VHS box.

Unfortunately, this movie has been out of print since the late 1980s/early 1990s. It's nearly impossible to find, and honestly, I don't ever see it reaching DVD. I plan on converting over my high quality Beta tape of it to DVD, making a menu and everything, so my tape doesn't wear thin. I watch this movie way too much. That's what I get for growing up in a decade full of Stoogemaniacs.

I think my opinion is quite obvious. One of the best movies ever, hands down.

I posted pics I took of the box art from the VHS tape below.

"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I've got a copy of Stoogemania on VHS tape, but I haven't watched it in years.  To be honest, your review makes it sound a lot better than I remembered.  I'll have to dig it out and watch it this weekend.   ;D