Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Catch Basin

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I thought I was the most nitty of the nitpickers ... especially with matters of Stooge origins. But I've been doing some light reading titled "Carpe Diem ... Put a Little Latin in Your Life" by Harry Mount, and he has sited a nitpick that must rank as the "nano-nitpick" of the century ... he refers to the movie "The Life of Brian" by Monty Python in which Brian is instructed to strike out against the Romans to prove his worth in joining an anti-Roman cult. Here is the passage:

Brian approaches the palace to graffiti the wall with an anti-Roman slogan. He begins writing, oblivious to the Roman patrol approaching from behind.

Centurion: What's this then? "Romanes eunt domus"? "People called Romanes they go to the house"?
Brian: It says, "Romans go home".
Centurion: No it doesn't. What's Latin for "Roman"? (Brian hesitates) Come on, come on!
Brian: (uncertain) ... "Romanos"?
Centurion: Goes like ...?
Brian: ... "anos".
Centurion: Vocative plural of "anos" is ...?
Brian: ... "ane". (Centurion takes paintbrush from Brian and paints over)
Centurion: "Romane" ... "Eunt", what's "Eunt"?
Brian: "Go".
Centurion: Conjugate the verb "to go".
Brian: "ire ... eo, is, it, imus, itis, eunt."
Centurion: So "eunt" is ...?
Brian: Third person, plural, present, indicative ... they go.
Centurion: But "Romans go home" is an order, so you must use the ...? (lifts Brian by the hair)
Brian: ... the ... imperative.
Centurion: Which is ...?
Brian: umm ... oh, oh! ... ee, ee!
Centurion: How many Romans? (pulls harder)
Brian: ... plural, plural! ... ite! (Centurion strikes over eunt and paints ite on the wall)
Centurion: (satisfied) "Ite" ... "Domus" ... nominative? ... Go home? This motion is towards, isn't it boy?
Brian: (very anxious) ... dative? (Centurion draws sword and holds it to Brian's throat) ... Ahh, no ... ablative, ablative, sir! ... no, the accusative, accusative ... ahh ... domum, sir!
Centurion: Except that "domus" takes the ...?
Brian: ... the locative, sir!
Centurion: Which is ...?
Brian: Domum!
Centurion: (Satisfied) "Domum". (strikes out domus and writes domum) ... "mum". Understand?
Brian: Yes, sir.
Centurion: Now write it down a hundred times.
Brian: Yes, sir, thank you, sir. Hail Caesar, sir.
Centurion: (Salutes) Hail, Caesar. If its not done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls off.

Actually, John Cleese's centurion wasn't quite right. Yes, "domus" behaves oddly, and yes, "Romane Ete Domum" is right, but it isn't the locative that Brian used. The locative is a strange one-off case used only when you are at or in the place. And the locative of "Domus" meaning "at home" is "Domi".

The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I'm watching the Food Network this morning - a program on making sandwiches is on and the cook is making
 "Beer-Battered Cod Sliders" ...

just doesn't sound too good

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
It almost sounds like a date rape ...

(maybe being a cook makes me sensitive to this stuff) - or perhaps I'm the problem .... hhmmm

Offline archiezappa

Starbucks always ticks me off, not only because I would pay $3 for a 50 cent cup of java, but they attach such weird and corny names to the sizes of their coffee. A small cup is called a Tall, a medium is a Grande, and finally, the large cup is given the strange title of Venti, which is simply Italian for "twenty". All three names are wrong, and they mark them as dumb.

A while back, I made the guy at Starbucks mad, because I ordered black coffee.  I guess he wanted me to order some kind of flavor.  I like the flavor of coffee.  It's amazing how a guy at a coffee shop can't understand that.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
A while back, I made the guy at Starbucks mad, because I ordered black coffee.  I guess he wanted me to order some kind of flavor.  I like the flavor of coffee.  It's amazing how a guy at a coffee shop can't understand that.

The guy at the register is called a "Barista" ... I guess he thought it meant he was a lawyer.
 [pie]

Offline archiezappa

The guy at the register is called a "Barista" ... I guess he thought it meant he was a lawyer.
 [pie]

Well, he didn't pass the bar exam.  I guess that's why he's working in a coffee shop, instead of a bar.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Gosh, Batman ... If I pass the bar I'll become ... a BARISTA?
Yes, Robin, old chum ...