Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

WTB: Complete Stooges on DVD

Offline joewilliams697

I've visited the links found within the forum but the individuals don't seem to be offering them any longer.  Some folks have said one can locate these burned sets for $60/$70.  Any information as to where would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Regards,
Stacy

Please do not make any more posts here asking for bootleg material. This warning is for your own good... the Feds don't like it.
Pils

« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 03:35:34 AM by Pilsner Panther »

xraffle

The person who was selling the set was suspended from ebay. His account says "no longer a registered user." It turns out that Sony/Columbia found out about this set and reported it to ebay because they removed the item sometime during the summer. The seller still relisted the item and he got a way with it for a couple of months, but he was caught again, so he got suspended.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 04:47:04 PM by xraffle »

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I was wondering how long he was going to get away with that before the lawyers clamped down on him.  You'd think Columbia would get it through their thick heads that there is a demand and just publish a complete set like that.  (Nimrods!)

Of course, my opinion is that the so-called "intellectual property" laws and modern-day "copyright" laws are completely wrong.  The entertainment industry bought influence to get Congress and state legislatures to create unconstitutional changes in the laws to allow them to keep control virtually forever.  They have basically killed the whole concept of "public domain."

Pilsner Panther

I was wondering how long he was going to get away with that before the lawyers clamped down on him.  You'd think Columbia would get it through their thick heads that there is a demand and just publish a complete set like that.  (Nimrods!)

Of course, my opinion is that the so-called "intellectual property" laws and modern-day "copyright" laws are completely wrong.  The entertainment industry bought influence to get Congress and state legislatures to create unconstitutional changes in the laws to allow them to keep control virtually forever.  They have basically killed the whole concept of "public domain."

Here we have all the gory details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Bono_Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

It's ironic that this law has Sonny Bono's name on it, since I personally don't think anything that that talentless and irritating twerp ever produced— records, TV shows, whatever— is worth as much as two cents. The only entertaining thing he ever did was to crash into a tree at around 40 miles an hour while skiing, and as Daffy Duck said, "It's a great act, but I can only do it once."

;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 10:35:55 PM by Pilsner Panther »

Pilsner Panther

I've deleted several posts here, since I think they could have put ThreeStooges.net in a bad legal position, and we don't want that, do we?

The trading of Stooges material and memorabilia on this board is going to have to be limited to what's been legally purchased, or is in the public domain. You guys who want to do something else already have each other's e-mail addresses, right?

Printed material like 8 x10's, lobby cards, and one-sheets are probably okay for the Swap Meet, though. I hope that Garystooge, BeAStooge, and maybe Paul Gierucki will weigh in on what's fair game Stooge-wise legally and what isn't.

???

I've run into the same thing when it comes to reproducing old music and/or posting it on the web. You'd be surprised at what's still under copyright:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=3302

Now, how many of you thought that "Happy Birthday To You" was a traditional song that was just about as old as "Greensleeves" or "Danny Boy" or "Annie Laurie?" Raise your hands—

Just as I thought, the whole class!

::)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 03:50:18 AM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It's not illegal to buy pirated material per se; or at least they won't track you down for doing so. It's illegal to create and sell pirated material for profit.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline joewilliams697

I thought they're all in the public domain now.  I take it this is not the case?  Sorry for the trouble.

Sincerely,
Stacy

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Nope, only 4 of the shorts are in the PD. If they were all in the PD they would have been released on DVD a long time ago.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Pilsner Panther

I thought they're all in the public domain now.  I take it this is not the case?  Sorry for the trouble.

Sincerely,
Stacy

It's okay, Stacy, you really weren't causing any trouble. I tend to be very cautious when it comes to legal matters, because of some personal experiences. There are a lot of corporate lawyers out there who are eager to file suit at the drop of a hat, because, after all, that's what they get paid for!

xraffle

I didn't realize that this kind of thing wasn't allowed here. I apologize. I was partly at fault.

Pilsner Panther

I didn't realize that this kind of thing wasn't allowed here. I apologize. I was partly at fault.

No apologies are needed, xraffle. It's not surprising that some people in 2005 would think that all of the Columbia Stooges shorts are now in the public domain, since the very last ones (the Besser shorts) were made almost half a century ago. Also, Columbia's Shorts Department was closed down at the same time, and there wasn't much thought given to what would happen to the films in the future. The (then) management of Columbia Pictures didn't have any idea how popular the Stooges would become on the new medium of TV, and from what I've read, neither did the Stooges— who were as surprised as anyone else by their sudden return to massive popularity.

I'm no great fan of Walt Disney, but he was certainly right about one thing: if you come up with an entertainment concept that catches on big-time with the public, then hang on to to the legal rights to it!

tc

do you havea acomplete set , let me now ! thank you , you can write to me at bharleyroadking@msn.com ty