Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Sad Day in history, Victor Sen Yung dies

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Most folks may not be aware who Victor Sen Yung was. I noticed in "this day in history" that 11-9 is the date he died. I remember seeing him as Charlie Chan's number one son as a kid in the movies although I didn't realize it at the time that he was the same actor playing Hop Sing the cook on Bonanza on TV which my family would watch together on Sunday nights in the early 60's.  In the mid-70's my wife and I who enjoyed eating Chinese food in L A's Chinatown when it really was ChinaTown, wanted to jump on the then "wok craze" and we bought a cookbook that was written by the same Victor Sen Yeung who in real life was a chef.  My wife even went to a meet n greet book signing he was at and has the cookbook autographed by him. If I recall, it was held at the legendary Vroman's Book Store in Dwntwn Pasadena.

I am now divorced but I'm calling the ex and ask her if she still has that cookbook, I'm sure it has some value as an autographed copy.

S  F
Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Good eye - I never noticed that that "crazy old Chinese cook" on Bonanza was "Charlie Chan's #1 son!"  (To be honest, I haven't watched Bonanza in years, so my recollection is fuzzy at best, but I'm sure I never made the connection.)

It's not a completely sad date in history, however.  Although Victor may have died on this date, it is also the birthday of everyone's favorite horse-faced actress, Edna May Oliver, who was born in 1883.  Happy 122nd Birthday, Edna May!
:occasion13: :occasion14: :occasion15: :occasion16:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Shemoeley Fine

[quote
Good eye - I never noticed that that "crazy old Chinese cook" on Bonanza was "Charlie Chan's #1 son!" (To be honest, I haven't watched Bonanza in years, so my recollection is fuzzy at best, but I'm sure I never made the connection.)

Close but no cigar, Cuban of course. Actually I learned a trick from my ex-wife I use to this day, as a amateur musician it came naturally to me once it was pointed out. I identify actors via their voices, their appearances may change throughout the years but their voice remains the same. Back in the 70's before cable TV, when one had aluminum foil on their rabbit ears TV, we used to stay up all Friday and Saturday nights watching old movies on L A's channel 9 and 13 mostly,   she would blow me away identifying actors, "oh that's so and so who is now on suc n such". time and time again and she was 99% correct. She did it through voice not looks like I did. It was a valuable lesson and to this day it still works for me.

S F

Ps don't get caught possesing a Cuban ceeegar, you might get fined $10Gs' for consorting with the enemy or holding contraband. I defy the gangstas in Dee Cee's insane policy. I travel to Cuba every year and spend money in my homeland helping out my family. I do this by travelling there through a third country to avoid asking permission to go back home. I can jump on a plane and go to Libya but not Cuba? We trade with "red" China and not Cuba? That's madness, it's insane that the federal government allows a small but powerfull lobby of Miami Cuban Americans to dictate US foreign policy, the Cold War is over, it's time for engagement not isolation.

Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Pilsner Panther

[
Ps don't get caught possesing a Cuban ceeegar, you might get fined $10Gs' for consorting with the enemy or holding contraband.

Not me, I'll only smoke a Corona. It was a Corona-Corona...

[stooges]

As for Victor Sen Yung, I did a Google search on him and found that he came to a very sad end:

http://ponderosascenery.homestead.com/hopsing.html

Not just the way he died, but that he ended his days living in a tenement. Either he didn't get paid very well for working in "Bonanza" (which is hard to believe), or he never saved any money.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I was just working on a new feature involving the Chronology (an announcement will be coming out shortly), and I noticed that Edna May Oliver also died on this date; on her 59th birthday!  So a "Rest in Peace" to you, Edna May, in addition to the birthday wishes.   :'(