Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stooges pseudonyms around the world in a daze.

Offline Shemoeley Fine

We recently read where for their Northern Ireland tour of 1939, the Three Stooges were billed as Three Hooges to avoid conflict with the slang meaning stooge at that time.  In most of Latin America back in the day, the Stooges were named Los Tres Chiflados, actualy defined as 3 daffy, silly or goofy ones.     See my signature for translations of the most famous line up of the Stooges into Spanish.  Are there other pseudonyms for the trio?  How were they known for instance in France?  The French think Jerry Lewis is the best comedic talent ever, what is/was their opinon of the Stooges.  What's the German, Italian, Japanese, Greek or other name for them? 

S  F  in San Gab as we like to call it along Las Tunas or Valley Blvds. Others call it St. Gee  My jazz musician pal from down the block calls it Trumpet Town.

Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline garystooge

Here's how the Stooges were billed in other countries:

France, Belgium....Les Trois Stooges
Germany....Die Drei Verruckten
Argentina, Mexico....Los Tres Chiflados
Brazil(Portuguese)....Os Tres Patetas
Japan....San Baka Taisho
Denmark, Sweden....De Trae Traemaend
Italy....Il 3 Oriundi or Il 3 Compari
Spain....Los 3 Vagabundos
Turkey....Uckafadarlar

Pilsner Panther

Hmm... could it be that there's no direct translation of "stooge" into French? I know that "clochard" means "bum," but "The Three Bums" just doesn't sound right, even though they sometimes played bums, as in "Cash and Carry" and "Oily to Bed, Oily to Rise."

BabelFish gives "faire-valoir" for "stooge," which I think would be roughly, "without know-how" or "innocent." At least that's the best I can do with my half-remembered high school French!

Offline garystooge

I don't think any of these translate directly into the word "Stooge", Pils. In fact, some of them are kind of goofy, like the Japanese "San Baka Taisho" literally translates as "Three Foolish Objects". Actually, many of the foreign names are not even listed in the online dictionaries that I've consulted, but I've pulled them right off of movie posters from my collection so I know these are the real foreign names that the Stooges were billed as. I also have a poster from Thailand but they use crazy Sanscrit-like lettering there which I can't read so I left that one off the list ....anyone fluent in Thai?

Pilsner Panther

I don't think any of these translate directly into the word "Stooge", Pils. In fact, some of them are kind of goofy, like the Japanese "San Baka Taisho" literally translates as "Three Foolish Objects". Actually, many of the foreign names are not even listed in the online dictionaries that I've consulted, but I've pulled them right off of movie posters from my collection so I know these are the real foreign names that the Stooges were billed as. I also have a poster from Thailand but they use crazy Sanscrit-like lettering there which I can't read so I left that one off the list ....anyone fluent in Thai?

Not me, I have to use the numbers of the dishes instead of the names to order in a Thai restaurant:

Pils: "I'll try the number 78, please."

Waiter: "Oh, you mean Palong Pagakq Halai Numnum Enon Ghjoti B'nang Magalockoi Poonim Guang Salong Erit Nonga F'quhar-Sogli Mekamek Gheek'm Bana-Bana-Eee."

Pils: "Yes. How does that translate into English, exactly?"

Waiter: "Buttered toast."

(rim shot)

Somewhere, Gary, I've got a list of foreign names for Popeye and (I think) for Mickey Mouse, too. I'll have to check my files. Most of those aren't literal translations either.

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Somewhere, Gary, I've got a list of foreign names for Popeye and (I think) for Mickey Mouse, too. I'll have to check my files. Most of those aren't literal translations either.

In Spanish speaking nations Popeye is known as Popeye, 3 syllables instead of 2. it is pronounced   PO  rhymes with toe  PE  sounds like pay  YE  like saying yet without pronouncing the t. Full name, Popeye El Marinero,  yup Popeye the Sailor Man  toot  too!  yugggggaaaaaa gaagaguck, well blow me down!

Most Spanish speaking countries refer to Mickey Mouse as either El Ratón Mickey or Miguelito,  weird because ratón is rat not mouse, the closest to mouse Spanish gets is ratoncito or little rat.

In Cuba Donald Duck is El Pato Pascual, but in most other countries where they speak Spanish he is known as El Pato Donald.

Shemoeley
Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado