Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Soup to Nuts 2 Half Shot Shooters

Offline Shemoeley Fine

On Saturday I got lucky twice, I won a free DVD coupon while visiting my local indy DVD shop, lo and behold they had a copy of Soup to Nuts so I scooped that up with the quickness. I peeped it later that night and was pleasantly surprised how good it was, the Stooges portions that is and a few other scenes as well. Freddy Sanborn stunk up the joint with his Harpo-Groucho routine.  It was great to see and hear the first line up of our beloved trio and the scene with their wives was over the tee oh pee.  Another highlight was the boys harmonizing the full length version of the song they excerpted in Half Shot Shooters..... "you'll never know what tears are....."  That was the shiznay in my book.

I kinda expected the Smith Brothers accountants to turn out to be the Stooges in disguise but it wasn't them, however the wigs and beards by whomever those actors are were very cheap and obvious especially the bald forehead wigs. I was not impressed with Ted Healy and the Stooges had tons more talent and comedic ability even at this early stage than Healy ever could have. It was bizarre seing actual Los Angeles street scenes mixed with stage lot NY elevated subway sets to make it look like it took place somewhere in  Brooklyn hence Shemp's  request to the driver to be taken to Coney island with he and the other Stooges wives, how romantic.

It was also tremendous that in the first scene the first words were uttered by Shemp, the oldest of the Horowitz Stooges brothers as well as senior Stooge, very ironic and apropo.

Shemoeley Fine
Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline falsealarms

I've wanted to see Soup to Nuts - it's one of the few Stooge films I've never seen. That, and Snow White.

Offline Shemoeley Fine

false alarms wrote >>>>>
I've wanted to see Soup to Nuts - it's one of the few Stooge films I've never seen. That, and Snow White. <<<<

You wanted to see it?, don't you want to see it any longer?  You should especially with your screen name as tge boys go on several false alarms on their hook n ladder. some set off by themselves to get out of the station. The DVd has a trailer for Blanca Nieve and the 3 Stooges, it doesn't look very promising plus weird thing is that in the trailer except for one nana second glance of the last Stooges team, they're not in the trailer!

I am now attempting to acquire the other Ted Healy and Stooges films with Curly before they began their shorts at Columbia as well as their appearance in other feature films during their stint at Columbia, I'll buy them as soon as my budget allows it after new year 2006....

Shemoeley

Near-illiteracy and defensive jerkiness.

Pils
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Pilsner Panther

I've wanted to see Soup to Nuts - it's one of the few Stooge films I've never seen. That, and Snow White.

"Soup to Nuts" is readily available, and at a bargain price, too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007IO77W/104-8694901-5344700?v=glance&n=130

Better grab a copy of the DVD before it goes out of print; after all, no one who isn't already a hardcore Stooges fan is even going to know what it is, so I doubt that it'll be a huge-selling item. The restored print looks great, by the way— don't expect a crystal-clear picture at all times, but it's a lot better than I expected it to be.

Pilsner Panther

Shemoley, please try to do better with your spelling, typing, punctuation, and sentence structure. Your other posts have been okay, but I could barely understand this one.

I realize that English is probably your second language, so I'm not going to give you an official warning; instead, I'm just asking you, take a little more care to make sure it's readable and coherent before you post something here.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 05:29:40 AM by Pilsner Panther »

Pilsner Panther

You don't need to criticize my comments by private e-mail, that's a bad mistake. All right, you want complete honesty? Your post is incoherent and it reads like you'd consumed a bottle of Thunderbird or MD 20-20 before you wrote it.

Happy now?

If not, I'll ask my colleagues Dunrobin and (especially) shemps#1 to weigh in here with their opinions. Gentlemen?

("Who came in?")

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I would chime in with an opinion here; but I need to see the private email you got from him, if I can be so indulgent as to ask you for a copy.

I do know that getting a private email about a warning or something from the board would piss me off too.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline falsealarms

Amazon isn't all that kind to Stooge fans as far as pricing.

DVD Empire has Soup to Nuts for 7.18 at last check, and the shorts DVDs are going for 13.91. At Amazon, it's 9.98 and 17.95, respectively. Best Buy beats Amazon as well. At last check, Best Buy is asking 7.99 for Soup to Nuts and 14.99 for the shorts DVDs.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Amazon isn't all that kind to Stooge fans as far as pricing.

DVD Empire has Soup to Nuts for 7.18 at last check, and the shorts DVDs are going for 13.91. At Amazon, it's 9.98 and 17.95, respectively. Best Buy beats Amazon as well. At last check, Best Buy is asking 7.99 for Soup to Nuts and 14.99 for the shorts DVDs.

Ix-nay on the ise-way ackin'-cray about Amazon!  (We get a small commish on anything you buy from them, if you go to Amazon through any of the links on the site.) 
 >:D

Seriously, though, those sound like some good deals, and I know that if you hunt around you can find some great bargains online.

Offline falsealarms

Amazon did come through for us last week, as I mentioned elsewhere. 50% off on the two 3-disc sets Columbia put out. It was still active as of last night - 24.98 each rather than 50 per.

Offline Shemoeley Fine

I admit, I did write a "private" e-mail to Pils, I thought it was best to do it off board due to the old adage "don't bring out your dirty laundry in public" My e-mail was NOT antagonistic, in fact it was asking why it was labeled incoherent as I want to keep up the standard of this marvelous website I so much enjoy being part of, albiet as a  newbie. I didn't want nor do I want to get into a pis***g contest or I guess it's flame wars in cybernetic talk. I am not a troubledoer nor do I want to be one, I simply replied to false alarms the same way he posted, check it out as the proof is in the pudding

I'll never again reply to a poster off-board as I didn't realize it angers members, therefore my open forum reply you see. I hope my standing and or rating I see goes on here is not smeared because of my faux paux. I believe I can be a valuable member of this forum as I bring nearly 50 years of Stooge watching and fever to this amazing group of Stoogeophiles.

To the pump, the pump, the pump, pump, pump, I've got work to do!

Shemoeley Fine

Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Pilsner Panther

Shemoley, I'm removing the warning, since you've definitely gotten the point. If you want to send personal messages to the moderators or anyone else on the board, we do have a private messaging system here; you can use that instead, and no one will get annoyed. And do take a minute to proofread what you write before you hit the "post" button, okay?

Offline falsealarms

I read in Morris Fineburg's book on Larry that "Soup to Nuts" was sent to one night stand movie houses shortly after its release, so I'm guessing it vanished quickly.

Jimmie Adams

When I taped SOUP TO NUTS from the AMC broadcast, it looked like a 16mm dupe.  When I bought the DVD I didn't expect much in the picture quality department but boy was I wrong.  The picuture quality was outstanding.  What I found weird about the film was there's no sound mixing in it and Fox Studios was one of the first sound comedy studios.  I have seen Clark & McCullough Fox comedy from 1928 with sound mixing and it was a short.

Sanborn is the interesting element in this.  I think Curly affected the "pansy' part of his character after Sanborn.  You can see a non-pansy non-mute Sanborn with Ted Healy in LA FIESTA DE SANTA BARBARA.  You can also hear an ironic reference by Healy about Wallace Beery.