Anyone know anything about this?

Offline falsealarms

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Well, I haven't had a chance to look at your links, yet (since my employer blocks us from visiting the Amazon and eBay web sites), but as for your comment "this seller claims all those shorts are in public domain," the seller is either a liar or a fool, as there are only 4 Stooges shorts that have ever slipped into the public domain and considering the obsene changes that the Congress has made to the copyright laws over the years, the odds are against any others getting into the public domain for a very long time (if ever.)

Offline falsealarms

Also notice how he lists "Pardon my Scotch" as "Pardon my Search."

;D

Pilsner Panther

Also notice how he lists "Pardon my Scotch" as "Pardon my Search."

;D

I didn't know they had Google back in the 30's!

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Pils

Sure they did, haven't you heard of Barney Google and Snuffy Smith? You know Barney Google with those goo goo googlely eyes.....

Shemoeley
Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I took a look at the listing on eBay, and not only was the guy incorrect about the shorts being in the public domain, but the collection he sold does not contain any of the actual public domain shorts in it!   ::)

Just for the record, there are only four Stooges' shorts that ever got into the public domain:

• Disorder in the Court
  • Brideless Groom
  • Sing a Song of Six Pants
  • Malice in the Palace

Apparently, somone at Columbia screwed up back in the day, and failed to include those shorts in the list when Columbia was renewing its' copyrights, which is why those 4 are now public domain material.  (That's why you can find so many tapes and DVDs offering those four - anyone can sell them.)

I sent a message to the guy who was selling that collection, so at least he can be forewarned.  I'm kind of surprised that eBay has been allowing these collections to be sold on their site, although I am all in favor of the idea.  Considering that the last Columbia Stooges short was filmed nearly 50 years ago,  I think it is competely absurd that they aren't ALL in the public domain by now.  The fact that Hollywood bought themselves enough Congressmen to get the laws changed in their favor doesn't make it right.  >:(

Pilsner Panther

Considering that the last Columbia Stooges short was filmed nearly 50 years ago,  I think it is competely absurd that they aren't ALL in the public domain by now.  The fact that Hollywood bought themselves enough Congressmen to get the laws changed in their favor doesn't make it right.  >:(

You can thank Big Mouse for that, Rob. It was in 1997 that the original U.S. copyright period was extended by Congress, because Disneycorp didn't want the copyright on Mickey Mouse to expire in 1998 (the first MM cartoon having been released in 1928). If you ask me, copyrights should last only as long as the original creators are alive, and no longer. Why should various relatives, stockholders, and other hangers-on get a free financial ride on someone else's work? That's never made a lick of sense to me, although Lisa Marie and Priscilla Presley, the Irving Berlin family, the Bing Crosby family, Yoko Ono, and quite a number of others would scream bloody murder if that were the case.

...did I mention a certain see-three? No, of course not.  >:D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pilsner Panther

Pils

Sure they did, haven't you heard of Barney Google and Snuffy Smith? You know Barney Google with those goo goo googlely eyes.....

Shemoeley

Needless to say, if anyone would have a copy of this 1925 song, it would be me (sound file attached).