Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ask Team Stooge **NEWBIES**

shemps#1 · 1290 · 349307

Gorilla Watson

Newbie here (we all have to be one sometime, right?). Just sayin' "howdy" to Team Stooge and the rest o' yez.

In my family, we give the welcome gifts, rather than receive. So here's this funny video clip that should remind you of something in particular that happened in a Stooge short. Can you guess which short it happened in and remember why it happened?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://thatvideosite.com/view/1376.html

Pilsner Panther

Newbie here (we all have to be one sometime, right?). Just sayin' "howdy" to Team Stooge and the rest o' yez.

In my family, we give the welcome gifts, rather than receive. So here's this funny video clip that should remind you of something in particular that happened in a Stooge short. Can you guess which short it happened in and remember why it happened?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://thatvideosite.com/view/1376.html

The first thing I thought of when I saw this was Curly and June Gittelson trading face-slaps in "False Alarms." It happened because Curly rejected June's advances.

[blush]

Great video clip— you are hereby awarded one Karma Point!

[pound]

Gorilla Watson

Gee, thanks!

Really any trading of face slaps would due, but I was actually thinking of something that happened in "today's episode pick". What a coincidence!

Offline Chissalini

This thread is for newbies with a post count of less than 10 to ask a question about the Stooges. In case the questions begin to pile up the person answering them should quote the question in their reply.
How did Comedy Three obtain the rights from Maurer Productions>

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
How did Comedy Three obtain the rights from Maurer Productions>

They went to court and won their case.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline kalten

Great Site. Hoping you can help me locate a couple of episodes.

I'm looking for either shorts or films where Moe asks Curly to "Roll Me a Cigarette" after handing a bunch of stuff to hold.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kalten

xraffle

Great Site. Hoping you can help me locate a couple of episodes.

I'm looking for either shorts or films where Moe asks Curly to "Roll Me a Cigarette" after handing a bunch of stuff to hold.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kalten

Dizzy Pilots

Dog Hambone

Later in the same sort, Dizzy Pilots, Moe asks Larry to "roll me a cigarette". They are flying in the open cockpit plane & when Larry dumps the tobacco into the rolling paper, it all blows back in his face. It gets even funnier because Larry then reaches in his pocket, pulls out what looks to be a cigar, & hands it to Moe, who doesn't seem to notice the difference! 

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
How did Comedy Three obtain the rights from Maurer Productions

Comedy III always owned the trademark rights to the Stooges, since that corporation's creation in 1959 by Howard, Fine & DeRita.

Norman Maurer's film production/promotion activities, thru combinations of expediency, efficiency, etc., managed his father-in-law's & partners' interests in licensing, booking, et. al.,... and it all just sorta evolved into the Norman Maurer Productions company name on things during the '60s.

After Joe DeRita died in July 1993, his family (joined by the Fines), sued NMP over licensing profit distributions for the period following Norman's death in 1986. Unfortunately in the process, Norm's name and reputation were drug thru the mud by the plaintiffs' lawyers.

In 1994 the plaintiffs won, NMP was disbanded, and Comedy III was reinstated as the managing corporation of the Stooges' Trademark rights.  C3 is still a 3-way Moe/Larry/DeRita-heirs entity, but...

Due to settlement agreements following the lawsuit, Moe's family transferred its management proxy over to the DeRita family.  The DeRita heirs are the senior management of C3 and have controlled 2/3 of C3's activities since 1994.

Jertoons

WILL YOU PLEASE LIST A FEW TITLES YOU WOULD PICK IF YOU HAD ONLY 5 OR SO CHOICES ?   I would like to show other people some of their films and I'm having a hard time picking which ones.  It's easy to spot the clunkers, but I wanna know what MOST PEOPLE think are the funniest.

Also, I am just a few DVD's into the new collection I bought, so I can't really pick just a few yet as I haven't seen them all.

Thanks for any help with this,

Jerry

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I've been on this site for quite awhile, and I can safely say that some of the more popular titles are "A Plumbing We Will Go", "An Ache In Every Stake", "Brideless Groom", "Three Little Beers", and "Who Done It?".
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Jertoons

Thank you for the reply.

Anyone else have titles ?

Jerry

Offline JazzBill

Thank you for the reply.

Anyone else have titles ?

Jerry
Men In Black, Hoi Polloi, Fright Night, Termites of 1938, and one I think gets overlooked a lot, The Sitter Downers.
These are some of my favorites,along with the ones Shemps#1 gave you. But if you ask 100 people , you'll get 100 different answers.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

xraffle

My choices are: Violent Is The Word For Curly, Three Smart Saps, Booby Dupes, Busy Buddies, and Crime On Their Hands.

Pilsner Panther

"Punch Drunks," "False Alarms," "Violent Is The Word For Curly," "Brideless Groom," and "Scrambled Brains," if I'm limited to five shorts.

Offline Jareth

• Grapehead
  • "I'm as pretty as a picture!" "Yeah, of an ape!"
"Malice in the Palace" "Sing a Song of Six Pants" "I'm a Monkey's Uncle" "Dizzy Detectives" and "Dizzy Pilots" and just to throw in Joe Besser short, my favorite is "Quiz Whizz"
Jareth Wilder

Jertoons

Thanks for those picks.  I'm almost halfway through the collection and I'd still have a hard time picking a few to show someone else.  I don't think there's one yet I didn't remember seeing when I was young.  That's pretty many hours remembered, so far.

Many interesting thoughts about seeing them like this.  I hope I can gather my thoughts in some post later on.

"Gents Without Cents" was the one I viewed that is very UN-characteristic of their movies.  [I love song & dance, so I really enjoyed this whole move.  Plus, this version of the "Niagra Falls ! !  Slowly I turned . . .  classic vaudeville routine is sort of a "heritage" moment, not really pure Stoogieness.  Check an online search to find out some history perspectives on it, if you like.]  We know them so well that going out of the basic Stooge movie recipe  (in other words, adhering to the same basic "formula" and format of all the other Stooge projects) we expect doesn't detract from the enjoyment for us Stoogie Fans -- for example the long and showy/athletic girls stage act.  This "interrrupts" the characteristic center-stage-flow-of-mayhem that's so unique to their film work.  Very unusual to see action going on without it's really being tied to their special blend of antics and fun.  It's rare to lose kinship with their personalities like in "Gents Without Cents".  In every other one I've viewed in this collection :  even if the stories heavily involve other characters' lives/situations, the Stooges themselves are somehow connected.  They're not usually "off in the wings" somewhere (not for long, anyhow).

Anymore suggestions for what you'd show another person to clue them in to Stooge-works would still be appreciated. 

Jerry

ps --  wouldn't ya know, some of your titles so far I ain't got

Offline dbaxter1991

About that Three Tenors vs. Three Stooges match on CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH, if anybody hasn't seen it, here's a link:

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
WILL YOU PLEASE LIST A FEW TITLES YOU WOULD PICK IF YOU HAD ONLY 5 OR SO CHOICES ?   I would like to show other people some of their films and I'm having a hard time picking which ones. 

HOI POLLOI (1935)
A PLUMBING WE WILL GO (1940)
MICRO-PHONIES (1945)
SQUAREHEADS OF THE ROUND TABLE (1948)
WHO DONE IT? (1949)

Jertoons

About that Three Tenors vs. Three Stooges match on CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH, if anybody hasn't seen it, here's a link:

Hey wow.  That shows The Three Stooges CAN live on and on.  Forever ?  Maybe so.  This time, the few "new tech" additions seemed well within the tradition they themselves actually laid down.  Funny spot.  Thanks for posting that link.

Pilsner Panther

Jertoons, I hope you don't plan to make a habit of typing in oversize, bold type. It's really visually annoying, as if you're shouting at the top of your lungs in print. I'm not going to give you a warning (yet), but I do want you to stop it.

:police:

Jertoons

PLEASE TAKE ME OFF OF THIS SITE.

I WAS NOT TRYING TO BE RUDE AND I OBJECT TO YOUR INSINUATION THAT I WAS.

PLEASE DELETE THIS POST AND ALL OTHERS BY ME.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CONTACT.

Account Deleted At User's Request

—Pilsner
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 08:01:11 PM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Who posted the URL to this website on the "Asswipe's Forum"? It seems like we've been infested with a plethora of little Johnny-Jackoff's lately!

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline JazzBill

Sounds like;    Another one bites the dust......... Queen
This is fun !
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Pilsner Panther

Who posted the URL to this website on the "Asswipe's Forum"? It seems like we've been infested with a plethora of little Johnny-Jackoff's lately!

James

They've sure been coming out of the woodwork, all right. I hadn't banned anyone in at least a year, then suddenly...!
Looking back over his posts, this guy started out okay, but then he went off the rails (or off his meds, maybe). Who knows? This is something new: people joining, making a few posts, and then asking to be banned.

Oh, well... "We aims ta please!"

[stooges]