Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ask Team Stooge **NEWBIES**

shemps#1 · 1290 · 350600

Offline Slapjack

"When I read your post yesterday, I remembered seeing a reference somewhere that said the darker, non-sticky liquid was some sort of chocolate-liquid-based prop, allegedly so that if any of it actually got into an opening, as in under Moe's eyelids in 'Oily to Bed, Oily to Rise', it wouldn't cause serious problems.  I meant to document that source when I first saw it, but forgot to do it.  I haven't found it again yet, but will identify it when I do."

Thanks very much for the info! I apologize for the late reply, and I look forward to any further edification. I had always assumed chocolate, ketchup, etc., as possibilities for some of the props. Thanks for the confirmation, and please update info as you have opportunity. Thanks! - jack

Dog Hambone

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I stumbled across a blog that claims Mantan Moreland was considered for a Stooge.
http://cravenlovelace.com/cravenblog/2008/08/the-stooge-that-almost-was/
I have never heard this before and couldn't find any facts that back this up. Is the blogger making this up?

Thanks for your time.

I had never heard this before either, SlyVenom. I found the same thing, albeit a lot shorter, on Wikipedia:

"Moreland was offered fewer roles in the 1950s, when filmmakers began to reassess roles given to black actors. He was briefly considered as a possible addition to the Three Stooges when Shemp Howard died in 1955. This prospect was disclosed by Moe Howard in a 1971 interview with film historian Michael H. Price, cited in Price's 2007 biography of Moreland, Mantan the Funnyman, from Midnight Marquee Press of Baltimore."
 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantan_Moreland]

I liked Moreland a lot in KING OF THE ZOMBIES. I have not yet seen THE STRANGE CASE OF DOCTOR RX, but I'm looking for a copy. I would love to see the interplay with Shemp.

It's really a shame that his career fell victim to what is now called "political correctness". In his time (1930s & 1940s), he took what roles were available for black actors. He should be remembered for his talent and for demonstrating that a black actor was able to get work in the Hollywood of that era; not for the stereotyped roles he was forced to take.   

Offline SlyVenom

I had never heard this before either, SlyVenom. I found the same thing, albeit a lot shorter, on Wikipedia:

"Moreland was offered fewer roles in the 1950s, when filmmakers began to reassess roles given to black actors. He was briefly considered as a possible addition to the Three Stooges when Shemp Howard died in 1955. This prospect was disclosed by Moe Howard in a 1971 interview with film historian Michael H. Price, cited in Price's 2007 biography of Moreland, Mantan the Funnyman, from Midnight Marquee Press of Baltimore."
 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantan_Moreland]

I liked Moreland a lot in KING OF THE ZOMBIES. I have not yet seen THE STRANGE CASE OF DOCTOR RX, but I'm looking for a copy. I would love to see the interplay with Shemp.

It's really a shame that his career fell victim to what is now called "political correctness". In his time (1930s & 1940s), he took what roles were available for black actors. He should be remembered for his talent and for demonstrating that a black actor was able to get work in the Hollywood of that era; not for the stereotyped roles he was forced to take.   

Thanks Dog Hambone!
It is a shame, I think he may have made a fantastic Stooge.

Offline curlygurly

Hi y'all,
Not really a newbie to being a Stooge fan, I've been watching them all my life and became a really
big fan over 10 years ago (I'm 26 now, if that helps) :)
Since I can't start a new post until I have 10 posts, I figured I'd introduce myself here.

I do have a question though, since for the life of me, I can't remember something.
I know there's one short that you almost never see televised because it's considered too racist.
(Something that confuses me, since I figure that you should watch/read things with the time period in which it
was produced in mind.) Can someone please tell me which short that was?

Girly yet tomboyish, nerdy yet ditzy and lovin' it. :)

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I do have a question though, since for the life of me, I can't remember something.
I know there's one short that you almost never see televised because it's considered too racist.
(Something that confuses me, since I figure that you should watch/read things with the time period in which it
was produced in mind.) Can someone please tell me which short that was?

The Yoke's On Me
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline curlygurly

Thanks for that. It was one of those things that was driving me insane
trying to remember. :)
Girly yet tomboyish, nerdy yet ditzy and lovin' it. :)

Offline Stoogephilia

Can I ask somethin'

Why the "Gold Raiders" (1951) page not have any 'Stooge Routines'? Ain't that film features a many Stooge bit like a 'Texas' routine & Nearsighted Eye glass gag by Moe, Larry & Shemp?

And also, why the 'Melodrama' routine not included in 'Stooge Routines'?, ain't it features in "Plane Nuts" (1933), "Time Out for Rhythm" (1941) and "The New Three Stooges" cartoon series (1965)?!

Offline ILMM

Hello, I've been watching all the Columbia shorts and I've noticed several ''Fake Shemps'' other than Joe Palma in the last four Shemps. The one's I've noticed are:
Self Made Maids: Moe is doubled, Moe as the father is doubled, and all three in drag are doubled, I think
Hoofs and Goofs: Moe is doubled in the last scene
A Merry Mix-Up: All three are doubled twice
Scheming Schemers:In addition to Joe Palma as shemp, Christine McIntyre is doubled for a few seconds in new footage
Hot Ice: Joe Palma doubles for Cy Schindell as Muscles in new footage
Does anyone know any more, or has a list of non-stunt doubles in Three Stooges shorts?                                                                                                                                 
"That must be Nick Barker.... he's disguised as a black banana."-Shemp

ThumpTheShoes

Does anyone know any more, or has a list of non-stunt doubles in Three Stooges shorts?                                                                                                                                 

At the end of Husbands Beware, there's a stand-in for Emil Sitka in the new footage. I always presumed it to be Jules White, since he did so many voice-overs, sneezes and such. Hell, he even did ADR for Vernon Dent in one short (that I can't recall, exactly, right now for some reason!)-- some shouted line like, "They're the ones who wrecked my car! Get 'em, boys!" Didn't sound a thing like Dent!  :laugh:

Seems like there was one later Curly short where some of his voice was looped by someone else, too. Some little grunts or odd barking noises, maybe? May have to do a little skippin' around and see if I can find that and other, simliar, occurances. Interesting,..

Offline Loyal_Moronican

I'm trying to figure something out:

I want to know who was the FIRST stooge to work with Ted Healy. I have found numerous interviews in which Moe says he ran into Healy going into the Prospect Theater in Brooklyn a couple of years before Shemp joined up (Mike Douglas Show video and others). Then today I read an interview with Steve Cox who just released "One Fine Stooge" and he said Babe Howard (Shemp's wife) claimed rather adamantly that Shemp was with Healy first and that Moe often took credit where it wasn't deserved or something. He claims she said this after the Maurers released "Scrapbook" in the late 70's, him stating it was pocked with historical inaccuracies here and there anyway.

I don't mean to disparage ANYONE's good name, but I have to know the TRUTH: WHO was the first STOOGE, Moe or Shemp?

Offline ILMM

Here's two more,
Triple Crossed: Mary Ainslee was doubled by Connie Cezan in new footage.
Rip,Sew,Stitch: Harold Brauer was doubled in new footage.
"That must be Nick Barker.... he's disguised as a black banana."-Shemp

Offline be careful moe

I was just wondering where the three deleted film frames of "Plane Nuts" printed on page 63 of the "Three Stooges Scrapbook" came from? Would Moe have originally kept that footage?

Just interested since a lot of Buster Keaton's lost footage has been discovered.

ThumpTheShoes

I was just wondering where the three deleted film frames of "Plane Nuts" printed on page 63 of the "Three Stooges Scrapbook" came from? Would Moe have originally kept that footage?

Just interested since a lot of Buster Keaton's lost footage has been discovered.

I've wondered about that, m'self! Looks like there could've been more frames to that strip of film than were shown, and it looks like the soundtrack area is blacked out.

Even if there wasn't enough to capture any motion, stills could have been made from the existing frames.

Offline be careful moe

I wonder if anyone is actively looking, or has searched this out. Anyone have news on "Hello Pop" ?

Offline Paperhouse

Are there any future plans to release a opening credits shirt with Shemp?

Dog Hambone

Are there any future plans to release a opening credits shirt with Shemp?

Paperhouse, I think that's a great idea! If they ever do, I will definitely buy one.

Offline DougGorius

I know there are a lot of small nitpicks here and there about the Sony Three Stooges Collection DVDs. Could one of the experts on here tell me basically all of them (not including the last shorts being matted)? I'm an amateur restorationist who created a universally praised restoration of King Kong vs. Godzilla while in high school, and I would like to know if anybody could help me do the same with the Sony DVDs by correcting whatever mistakes they have.

Offline jeanpierre51

I just found a short film of the three stooges and when i look at the beginning i can read: excel present the three stooges, bear hunt i didn't find nothing on the net, can somebody can help me?
Thank's

J.P.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I just found a short film of the three stooges and when i look at the beginning i can read: excel present the three stooges, bear hunt i didn't find nothing on the net, can somebody can help me?
Thank's

J.P.

Several of the Stooges' shorts were edited down into silent, retitled versions, and packaged with Excel's 1949 toy 16mm projector.

BEAR HUNT is not really a Three Stooges short.

Offline jeanpierre51

Several of the Stooges' shorts were edited down into silent, retitled versions, and packaged with Excel's 1949 toy 16mm projector.

BEAR HUNT is not really a Three Stooges short.
Does it worth something?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Does it worth something?

To someone who collects the Excel toy films, only a few dollars, maybe more if film and box are in good condition.

Offline Mark The Shark

Hi -- despite the fact that I have been a registered member for five years, apparently I have never posted anything prior to today, so I guess this "belated hello" and a couple questions must go here for starters.

First question -- someone who was a part of early Stooge history but with very little biographical info available, at least I didn't find much doing a cursory web search: Jack Walsh is mentioned in Moe's autobiography and elsewhere as a straight man Howard, Fine and Howard used when they split with Ted Healy in the early 1930s. I believe I recall Moe mentioning Jack Walsh briefly and maybe in a less-than-flattering way in his autobiography. Anyway, I found it interesting that Healy hired three other Stooges to replace "our" Stooges until they eventually returned (and again once they split permanently in 1934?) and  in one of the Forrester Stooge books, there is a picture of the "replacement" Stooges (including Mousie Garner and two other guys) with Jack Walsh -- at least it was captioned that way. I find it interesting that both teams used Jack Walsh as kind of a "surrogate" Ted Healy -- so is there any info on this guy or anything else he did? Also if he appeared in any films, etc. I'm just curious -- I have seen the occasional pic of the Stooges on stage in the 30s or 40s with Eddie Laughton, suggesting that in their live act they continued to use a "straight man" even after they went on their own (at least for a time).

I also was looking for info about Freddie Sanborn, who we know as the "fourth Stooge" in Soup To Nuts, and was part of Ted Healy's troupe for a while. I found reference to a few film appearances including one called National Barn Dance, supposedly based on a radio show out of WLS in Chicago, where he is said to have performed his xylophone routine (which I guess is what he was known for). The info I read said it was a Paramount film, but part of the Paramount library which ended up with Universal -- but apparently never released to TV or home video? Would this be available anyplace, or even worth looking for?

I guess I have a curiosity about the old vaudeville days -- all those performances which weren't filmed or recorded or maybe even written down -- although a lot of routines were written down and/or preserved on film, radio and TV, there have to have been even more that weren't. Joe DeRita is supposed to have saved a trunkload of typewritten pages containing all kinds of old vaudeville routines. I wonder where that ended up...I'd love to see that stuff...

Offline munar2000

Hello,

In Punch Drunks, can somebody tell me the filming location of the scene where Moe, Larry, and Curly are are getting the car out of the mud? Thank you...I've been always wondering where this scene was filmed. :D

Offline Curlyweave

Hi,
Newbie here. I have always been a Stooge Fan, I have a Litho that I found in a house
signed H Tillman, cant find anything on him, or anything else like this.
I am attaching a pic. Wondering if anyone has seen this type of litho.
Thanks, and look forward to the forum.
Hope the pic works
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 06:22:32 PM by BeAStooge »