Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ask Team Stooge **NEWBIES**

shemps#1 · 1290 · 334689

Offline Rich Finegan

You and BeAStooge answered this within 14 seconds of each other!

Super-soivice!
As we say in the Sons of the Desert, two minds without a single thought!

Offline FrankieAnne

I remember a short in which the boys are trying to eat a hot dog and it keeps barking at them.  I am hoping my memory serves me correctly and this is from a Three Stooges short and not from something else. Thanks!

ThumpTheShoes

I remember a short in which the boys are trying to eat a hot dog and it keeps barking at them.  I am hoping my memory serves me correctly and this is from a Three Stooges short and not from something else. Thanks!

Malice in the Palace has the famous cat/dog-under-the-table bit.

Also, Moe has a run-in with a hot dog in Income Tax Sappy.

Offline FrankieAnne

I do remember the scene from Malice in the Palace.  I will check out Income Tax Sappy.  I see it on Volume 7.  Thanks so much!

Offline FrankieAnne

Hey, ThumpTheShoes, Income Tax Sappy was the one with the bit I was remembering.  Thank you!

Cartoonguy

Is anyone here familiar with the works of screenwriter Aleen Leslie? She passed away on February 2nd, at the age of 101, and in her obituary she is credited for writing two-reelers for the Three Stooges at Universal. I looked her up on IMDB and no Stooge shorts were listed.

I was wondering if maybe the article has mistaken the Stooges for another comedy team, or was it just the obvious studio mix-up between Universal and Columbia.

Here is the obit;

Screenwriter Aleen Leslie dies at 101

Credits include 'Doctor Takes a Wife,' 'Date With Judy,'

Aleen Leslie, a screenwriter, novelist, playwright and vintage radio writer-producer, died of natural causes in her Beverly Hills home on Feb. 2, three days shy of her 102nd birthday.

Leslie was a member of the Writers Guild since 1938 and was its oldest member. She served a six-month term as vp of the Screen Writers Guild just before it became the Writers Guild of America in the early 1950s.

Leslie wrote for the Pittsburgh Press, then began in the business writing two-reelers for the Three Stooges at Universal. A rare female screenwriter in her day, she ultimately worked at every studio in Hollywood and wound up with 19 credited movies to her name.

Those credits include "The Doctor Takes a Wife" (1940) with Ray Milland and Loretta Young; "Father Was a Fullback" (1949) with Fred MacMurray, Maureen O'Hara and Natalie Wood; and "Father Is a Bachelor" (1950) with William Holden. She also wrote for several pics in the "Henry Aldrich" series of the 1940s that starred Jimmy Lydon.

Also in the '40s, Leslie created the radio show "A Date With Judy" for actress Helen Mack, who decided she was too old to play a teenager and so directed the broadcasts while Leslie wrote and produced them.

"A Date With Judy" became a 1948 feature film starring Elizabeth Taylor and also had a run on television.

Leslie wrote two novels, "The Scent of the Roses" and "The Windfall," and a multitude of plays, some produced at the Pasadena Playhouse and others in New York and San Francisco.

In addition, she was the "star" of her daughter Diane Leslie's 1999 novel, "Fleur De Leigh's Life of Crime," which remained on the Los Angeles Times' best-seller list for 28 weeks.

Leslie was married to entertainment attorney Jacques Leslie. In addition to her daughter, Leslie is survived by her brother, Robert Wetstein; her son, writer Jacques Leslie Jr.; three grandchildren; and three great grandchildren.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to Doctors Without Borders.

Offline Rich Finegan

Coincidentally I just posted a correction to that report on the TCM Message Boards.

We know, of course that The Stooges never made any two-reelers for Universal.
And Aleen Leslie is not officially credited with writing any of The Stooges' Columbia shorts.
She does apparently have at least one writing credit for a Columbia short. It's an Andy Clyde remake of the Charley Chase short "The Nightshirt Bandit".

So, this is just one more poorly researched news report.

Cartoonguy

Hey thanks Rich for the answer to my Aleen Leslie question. And by the way I never had a chance to finish that Wheeler and Woolsey cartoon, some day maybe.

Offline Rich Finegan

Hey thanks Rich for the answer to my Aleen Leslie question. And by the way I never had a chance to finish that Wheeler and Woolsey cartoon, some day maybe.

Hey, do it...Wheeler & Woolsey need all the exposure, recognition and appreciation they can get!

Offline norborder

Can *anyone* answer this?

I've continued to search but just can't find the answer. Thanks!

C'mon - *no one* here has the answer to this? What kind of Stooge geeks are you? Geez...  :-\

Dog Hambone

C'mon - *no one* here has the answer to this? What kind of Stooge geeks are you? Geez...  :-\

I dunno, noborder. IDLE ROOMERS is the only Curly short I can recall with that  "sabotoogie" line. 

Offline jymbo

Gentlemen!

Which episode(s) do the Stooges all try to do through a door at the same time, then try again?

Offline JazzBill

When the Nazi sub Captain is talking to Curly on the radio in "They Stooge To Conga" Curly says Sabatoogies .
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline norborder

When the Nazi sub Captain is talking to Curly on the radio in "They Stooge To Conga" Curly says Sabatoogies .

Thanks, but I still swear there was a short where Curly got hit from behind and muttered "OH, sabatoogie, eh?"

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Thanks, but I still swear there was a short where Curly got hit from behind and muttered "OH, sabatoogie, eh?"

This is just off the top of my head, but might that be either during the clay fight in Pop Goes the Easel or the cream pie fight in Slippery Silks?  (I'd have to watch them again to be sure.)

Offline norborder

This is just off the top of my head, but might that be either during the clay fight in Pop Goes the Easel or the cream pie fight in Slippery Silks?  (I'd have to watch them again to be sure.)

Great try - but unfortunately no cigar. I watched both shorts and although Curly has a good "Oh, a backbiter, eh" line in each, there's no "Oh, sabatoogie, eh" line.

If any other shorts come to mind, please let me know. Thanks!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Great try - but unfortunately no cigar. I watched both shorts and although Curly has a good "Oh, a backbiter, eh" line in each, there's no "Oh, sabatoogie, eh" line.

If any other shorts come to mind, please let me know. Thanks!

Maybe Busy Buddies is the short you're thinking of?

???
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

xraffle

What about Idle Roomers? Curly says it right before he hits the sponge and it squirts water.

Offline norborder

Maybe Busy Buddies is the short you're thinking of?

???

Ding ding ding. Yes!!! That's it. Thanks much!
 :laugh:

xraffle

He's right, indeed.

From the Transcript page:

[Curly grabs the cows tail and ties it to his stool. The cow then pulls the stool away with his tail and Curly falls on the floor.

CURLY: Oh, sabotoogy, eh! Give me my stool! [The cow hits Curly in the head with the stool] Oh oh oh oh!

You'd think I'd be the one to know that since I was the one who transcribed that one. :-[

Offline locoboymakesgood

I had no idea Universal even had a 2-reeler dept.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Byrone

Does anyone know the episode where Moe falls into a tar or rubber bath and gets inflated like a giant balloon and starts floating around?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Does anyone know the episode where Moe falls into a tar or rubber bath and gets inflated like a giant balloon and starts floating around?

DIZZY PILOTS (1943)

Offline Byrone

Thanks! I have been trying to figure out which episode it was for a couple of years.